HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 03:07 AM
Anchorage, AK
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Talk to me about the latest thoughts on 3S vs 4S for this frame. Currently, I am running 4S on mine with the 750kv Turnigy NTM motors. I have a full FPV setup on mine. ready Made RC 1.3G video gear, EzUHF, EzOSD, Naza, etc. The thing flies fantastic. However, I don't get very long flight times. The biggest battery I can fit in the slot, is a 2800mah 4S battery. When I had all of this stuff on my VC-450, I was running 3S with a 5000mah battery underneath. I could get 12 minutes of flight time with those batteries.

So, I was thinking of switching my FPV frame back over to 3S and running the 28-26 1200kv NTM motors. I could fit a 5,000 or even a 6,000mah 3S nano tech on this thing. A 6000mah 3S nano-tech is only 6oz heavier than my current 2800mah 4S GeForce batteries. I realize the motors would work harder than my current ones, but my goal is to get more flight time! I live in Alaska. Motors don't get hot here, especially this time of year! I don't do any kind of aerobatics with my FPV quad. Am I missing something here or is 3S a better choice for more flight time?
KC10Chief is offline Find More Posts by KC10Chief
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:00 AM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
Talk to me about the latest thoughts on 3S vs 4S for this frame. Currently, I am running 4S on mine with the 750kv Turnigy NTM motors. I have a full FPV setup on mine. ready Made RC 1.3G video gear, EzUHF, EzOSD, Naza, etc. The thing flies fantastic. However, I don't get very long flight times. The biggest battery I can fit in the slot, is a 2800mah 4S battery. When I had all of this stuff on my VC-450, I was running 3S with a 5000mah battery underneath. I could get 12 minutes of flight time with those batteries.

So, I was thinking of switching my FPV frame back over to 3S and running the 28-26 1200kv NTM motors. I could fit a 5,000 or even a 6,000mah 3S nano tech on this thing. A 6000mah 3S nano-tech is only 6oz heavier than my current 2800mah 4S GeForce batteries. I realize the motors would work harder than my current ones, but my goal is to get more flight time! I live in Alaska. Motors don't get hot here, especially this time of year! I don't do any kind of aerobatics with my FPV quad. Am I missing something here or is 3S a better choice for more flight time?
Just to share my experience, when I was selecting components, I specifically went 3S for higher capacity and lower weight at the expense of thrust. I would have thrown a Zippy Compact on there if they'd had that in stock.

With a full FPV payload and a 5000mah battery, I'm pushing about 1600 AUW and with 8x4 props - this thing is a pig powered by mosquito wings. I flew this at 1300g and obviously, lighter 300g it was far more nimble.

I was doing a tuning run yesterday and I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 16-18 minutes (lots of low amp activity). I won't be winning any speed contests with this rig, but it's performance has been acceptable.

Some of the guys I fly with fly with 3300 mah batteries on similar kv/weight setups and they get around 8 minutes. My only issue with the Nano Techs and even A-Spec options is the power to weight ratio. If my intention is a lot of low amp runs, all that extra voltage overhead is wasted and that comes at the expense of weight and consequently flight times.

What I'll be looking at in the future are these new crop of ultra low kv disc type motors with big fat props, but those are pretty spendy right now at nearly 3x the cost of an NTM 1200.

My 2cents

Mocha
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:28 PM
Anchorage, AK
Joined Dec 2002
280 Posts
Yeah. That's what I'm thinking. I don't need this one to be super nimble or really fast. I just want more flight time.
KC10Chief is offline Find More Posts by KC10Chief
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochaboy View Post
Finally - after a month of reading, waiting for shipments, and some long long build sessions...

I can finally chase the trick or treaters!
That should be fun
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:43 PM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,441 Posts
my HT-FPV ghoul

here is my halloween quad...mimimal..but at night it looks cool...video to follow
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:58 PM
32 ft/sec^2 sucks
Joined Nov 2006
172 Posts
Awesome build. Did you get any?
yoadrian is offline Find More Posts by yoadrian
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoadrian View Post
Awesome build. Did you get any?
Thank you...unfortunately i didn't get to fly it where there were trick or treaters..i did fly it at a party and it was a big hit...got the usual questions...did you build that yourself...how high can it go...etc.....
Last edited by SDSURFnGLIDE; Nov 03, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:29 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,258 Posts
Flew mine for the first time today!

I purchased this flight controller, motor, ESC's and props from a guy here at rcgroups (classified's) a while back - everything seems to be just great - the maiden was "uneventful" which is exactly what I was hoping for.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:56 AM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,418 Posts
Buzz: Great news! It is always nice when you build something and it works on the first try!
glmccready is offline Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:19 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,258 Posts
ht-fpv quad flight 02-Desktop (0 min 24 sec)
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:09 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,498 Posts
I've posted my HT-FPV frame for sale here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760339 . It's been a wonderful frame. I wanting to move into a system with a gimbal as my next step in 'copter FPV. The frame is available in different 'package' combinations. Feel free to PM me for questions.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Feb 2012
812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSURFnGLIDE View Post
Thank you...unfortunately i didn't get to fly it where there were trick or treaters..i did fly it at a party and it was a big hit...got the usual questions...did you build that yourself...how high can it go...etc.....
Why do people always want to know how high it can go?
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
Why do people always want to know how high it can go?
I don't know! Haha...that has to be the most annoying question ever...i just tell tell them it will go as high as i can see and then some
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:23 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Since mine has a 1/2 throttle hover, I tell them it can go up to an altitude where the air thickness is 1/2 of sea level, since full throttle would be hovering.

Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Last edited by Exploding Fist; Nov 06, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
Since mine has a 1/2 throttle hover, I tell them it can go up to an altitude where the oxygen thickness is 1/2 of sea level, since full throttle would be hovering.

Haha...nice