HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2014, 02:59 PM
I'd rather be out sloping...
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Jan 2011
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorJS View Post
New wing finished and underside decorated...
Very nice!

Now you also know how much effort the underside took me.

That's why I did'nt do it the second time round.

J.
Jak35 is offline Find More Posts by Jak35
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2014, 03:07 PM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
462 Posts
F16 templates

Nice finish Trevor!

Here are the templates for the F16 Falcon if anyone wants to give it a go. It should be quite a bit easier now that I have worked out all the shapes. Correx parts are all 2mm.

Note that in the file the 'correct' sizes are shown in white. However, I can't be sure that they are 100% correct since each build will be slightly different and in any case with this design, some parts are best fitted and trimmed during assembly - so I have indicated in blue where to cut the parts oversized. I have also not indicated where to slit the flutes...since this should not be your first build, you will be able to work it out from looking at how the parts have to bend. Hint: most parts need the flutes to be slit over most of their area Note that for 2mm I only slit every second flute.

I won't clog up this thread with lots of construction photos. I have started some posts in the "Beyond gutter pipes..." thread in the SPAD forum on the general techniques for correx jets and if what you are looking for does not end up there, feel free to ask here or on the other thread.

I suspect it could make a good sloper - it's very streamlined so penetration should be good, plus it glides pretty well. However, it is very twitchy in the roll axis, so a non-scale extended wing will be a good idea and very easy to do. Perhaps enlarging the whole plane by around 50% for sloping would also work well.

Enjoy.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:23 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistnbroke View Post
Hi Slothy,

Mulford Plastics (Australia wide) sell 2mm coreflute but it only comes in black also Bunnings sell coreflute in 2.5mm in black. (Huge sheets)

I have made a couple of 3mm wings, I narrowed the depth of the main spar by a coouple of mm to compensate for the extra thickness of the coreflute.

The 3mm is as good as the 2mm where we fly in Perth because of the strong S Westerlies,
Ihope this helps you out

Regards
Ian
Hi all. Interestingly I just spoke with Mulford today. They, Davmar Industries and Protecta all ship 2mm corflute (some only in 20 sheet lots ) but on closer inspection its a heavier grade for protective wrapping so it's actually 350gsm, not the stated 250gsm of the 2mm correx brand. I've been trying to ask the Aussie correx people where I can source but without response.

Will post if/when I get a reply.

All prices are approx the same at the moment, about $6.50/sheet in a 20 sheet pack plus shipping which is almost as expensive as the sheets!
pzanni is online now Find More Posts by pzanni
Old Nov 25, 2014, 03:15 AM
absolutely maybe
Australia, WA, Currambine
Joined Apr 2011
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzanni View Post
Hi all. Interestingly I just spoke with Mulford today. They, Davmar Industries and Protecta all ship 2mm corflute (some only in 20 sheet lots ) but on closer inspection its a heavier grade for protective wrapping so it's actually 350gsm, not the stated 250gsm of the 2mm correx brand. I've been trying to ask the Aussie correx people where I can source but without response.

Will post if/when I get a reply.

All prices are approx the same at the moment, about $6.50/sheet in a 20 sheet pack plus shipping which is almost as expensive as the sheets!
Good work pzanni!

Do you know what the weights/sm is for 3mm opposed to 2mm, there may be little weight penalty if the 2mm is for heavy duty wrapping!?

100gsm from one manufacturer to another soon adds up too!

Regards
Ian
pistnbroke is online now Find More Posts by pistnbroke
Old Nov 25, 2014, 05:15 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistnbroke View Post
Good work pzanni!

Do you know what the weights/sm is for 3mm opposed to 2mm, there may be little weight penalty if the 2mm is for heavy duty wrapping!?

100gsm from one manufacturer to another soon adds up too!

Regards
Ian
Hello, unfortunately the corflute spec sheet isn't very helpful, just gives a weight range from 250gsm up, and you have to contact them to get a full data sheet… No response yet.

I can say though that I made a single skin wing (with corflute ribs and carbon ribbon spar) from 3.5mm? corflute (beer sign) and another double skin wing for same WS from 2mm packaging grade corflute (paver pallet layer protection) which was approx the same weight.

Not very accurate info given both gauges of corflute were "found" items so real idea of brand/origin.

My hunt for the real 250gsm deal continues…

Apologies for going off topic… Any further ideas could be discussed here?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2189867
Old Nov 25, 2014, 06:30 AM
Joined May 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
South African 2mm correx is of the ~350g/sm variety, so don't expend too much effort in your search for the holy grail.....all these designs currently work fine at the heavier weight Also. at 250g/sm you are in 6mm depron territory, which sounds implausible. Has anyone (anywhere in the world) actually found 250g/sm correx?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:13 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
South African 2mm correx is of the ~350g/sm variety, so don't expend too much effort in your search for the holy grail.....all these designs currently work fine at the heavier weight Also. at 250g/sm you are in 6mm depron territory, which sounds implausible. Has anyone (anywhere in the world) actually found 250g/sm correx?
Well, that simplifies things for me somewhat, thanks for chiming in.

The aussie corex people I've emailed claim to have a 2mm sheet at 250gsm (who knows, could be a typo on their spec sheet).

I've just measured and weighed the 2mm sheet I pulled from a pallet of pavers and it comes up at 330gsm, same weight sold/used by the Mugi site.

Cheers, P
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:18 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,042 Posts
Quote:

Apologies for going off topic… Any further ideas could be discussed here?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2189867
No worries pzanni, the lack of readily available materials is something we all battle with..... i have included a few links on page one, yet we are always looking for more options!
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Nov 25, 2014, 07:25 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
908 Posts
I have always understood (from Spadworld.net) that weight and stiffness varies by colour too.
EG 3mm can be half the weight of black 2mm.
Rusty Nail is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Nov 25, 2014, 08:03 AM
Joined May 2012
462 Posts
Quote:
The aussie corex people I've emailed claim to have a 2mm sheet at 250gsm
Please, whatever, you do, NEVER, NEVER give me any of that stuff. After 2 years I am just starting to learn to manage my correx addiction. 250g/sm will take me right back to square one...just imagine what could be done with that stuff
Old Nov 25, 2014, 04:08 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
Please, whatever, you do, NEVER, NEVER give me any of that stuff. After 2 years I am just starting to learn to manage my correx addiction. 250g/sm will take me right back to square one...just imagine what could be done with that stuff
Heh, what's your address? I'd like to see what you can do if I get my hands on some!

I feel a correx gauge/colour spreadsheet coming on…
Old Nov 25, 2014, 10:11 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
117 Posts
1.9mm Corflute 300gsm

Xxxx
Last edited by pzanni; Yesterday at 10:21 PM.