Closed Thread
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:47 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
Build Log
German Tug

This is the last mock of my German Folding Stack Tug. Nothing is glued, the ship's boat holding on with threads. The plan is to paint this Tug and my Scotch Yolk Drive Stern wheeler ot one time. The two reasons are, I paint outdoors and I won't have to change airbrush colors as often. Keep on building and have fun doing it. More clutter on table and in a box.
Stu Kerrn is offline Find More Posts by Stu Kerrn
Last edited by Stu Kerrn; Mar 24, 2011 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:04 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,670 Posts
interesting subject and well done
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:43 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
German Tug

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S View Post
interesting subject and well done
Thanks for your comments. Stu Kerrn
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:46 PM
USA, WA, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2010
43 Posts
What brand of funnel vents are those...or are they scratch made?
Towing101 is offline Find More Posts by Towing101
Old Mar 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
Vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towing101 View Post
What brand of funnel vents are those...or are they scratch made?
I used a kitchen measuring spoon for the pattern, only the spoon part and silicone rubber for the mold. Then I used round plastic tube for the pipe. I have attached a photo that explains more than words. This mold was my first attemt at using a product made especially for making a mold. It works well but is expensive and has a short open shelf life. The material these cowls were made of is fiberglass resin and microballoons, in the commercial product mold. I have no hobby shops near and try to use what I have. There several parts that were made by using modeling clay for the mold and my resin-microballoon mixture. The towing chock was made using clay mold and then putting a hole in it. The pilot house in the vent photo was discarded and another made. I have over 100 photo's of this build. I can show how everything including the hull was layed out and made. Pretty much low dollar. Thank you Stu Kerrn
Last edited by Stu Kerrn; Mar 24, 2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: adding thank you
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:41 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,120 Posts
German Tug

Stu, Im blown away by this cool tug .... scratch ? where did you get the windlass ? you have build pics ? did I miss something, I don't see them ... Please post !!!!!
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
Windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim B. View Post
Stu, Im blown away by this cool tug .... scratch ? where did you get the windlass ? you have build pics ? did I miss something, I don't see them ... Please post !!!!!
I have over 100 fotos (photos) of this build, all parts. I attached the windlass. I have photos on how to build those expensive ship lights, with no special tools if you would like, they are made to make lights and look original.
All parts in photo are scratch except the windlass base, I found it in my parts box. Thanks for your comments Stu Kerrn
Last edited by Stu Kerrn; Mar 25, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:12 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,120 Posts
Photos

So, you cast those bollards and the otehr stuff ? would like to see close up pics of the engine house covers ....
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:34 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
Quote:
So, you cast those bollards and the otehr stuff ? would like to see close up pics of the engine house covers ....
No, plastic tubing, a file and a razor saw. I have attached two drawings, if these aren't the area say so. Thank You Stu Kerrn
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:17 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,120 Posts
Plans ?

Thanks for the photos .... where did you get the plans ? I have seen MANY Tug pics, never a twin / folding stach though ....
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:31 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
Plans

Quote:
Thanks for the photos .... where did you get the plans ? I have seen MANY Tug pics, never a twin / folding stach though ....
I will tell you a secret. This is a combination of three sidwheeler plans, my friend in Germany sent me fotos (photos) of one of his boats along with detailed photos of the stacks. You may have the material for these in your home, PVC pipe and fittings. Don't take any pipes down without asking your wife. I use the fittings in my lathe to form the rings and the smoke ports. I will attach a photo of the LORY J. (named for my wife). The tug in this thread has components from many of my other workboats. I like to have fun and promote modeling. If it isn't fun I don't like doing it. The other photo attached is a paddlewheeler that is supposed to be the first working one, the Charlotta Dundas. It is said there no plans, I would like electric drive for the wheel and turn a dummy steam engine. Thanks again Stu Kerrn
Old Mar 25, 2011, 10:25 PM
Louisiana
Joined Sep 2006
1,317 Posts
Stu I'd love to see more pictures of you side wheeler. That is ONE of the many models I'd love to build some day.
Rmay is online now Find More Posts by Rmay
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:27 PM
SLK
USA, IL, Morton
Joined Feb 2007
339 Posts
Photos of Lory J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmay View Post
Stu I'd love to see more pictures of you side wheeler. That is ONE of the many models I'd love to build some day.
I would that too, this was the time I changed from 35 MM film to digital and I have the fewest of this boat because of development cost of 35 MM film. I will attach 4 of the ones I have on JPEGS.
Closed Thread