HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:16 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
939 Posts
Discussion
Sig Riser 2M vs Great Planes Spirit 2M

Hi, I have a GP Spirit 2M waiting in the box, I'm thinking of getting a Sig Riser 2M (still) just to have something light and floaty, Any thoughts of one versus the other?

Is one slower, faster, floatier, more or less resistant to bad landings, more or less maneuverable(given that the same servos/linkages/etc are used???

Thanks - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:11 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
My impression from flying both the riser is more floaty then the Spirit but note they are both floaty type planes. the Riser is more maneuverable then then the Spirit.
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:36 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Riser has better handling. Spirit is a pain to thermal, because it gets all squirelly. Spirit may be a bit faster. Suggest if you're going to build the Spirit, that you make the fuselage more like the one on the Riser, i.e. longer tail. But why stay with 2M when you could build a 100 inch glider? How about an Oly 2 and an Oly 2S? (the Oly 2 is a real nice floater, and I suspect the Oly 2S is faster)
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2011, 08:46 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,020 Posts
I agree with lincoln. I built a Spirit 2 meter and flew it for a while. I got so tired of it tip stalling and constant pitch oscillations that I totally redesigned the plane by building a new pod, boom, tail feathers and sheeted the wings out to the tips. It now flies wonderful. But really, the only thing left that was the Spirit are the modified wings.....

This photo shows the plane completed but a little later I sheeted it to the tips.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:39 PM
Joined Jan 2010
939 Posts
Good Stuff....

Thanks for the info.....

PP- Interesting, yes I remember when you did that a while ago. I'll probably do as you did and sheet the outboard sections. Also, something I have been thinking about is doing a lot more mod's to the Spirit such as:

1) keeping the leading edges of the outboard tips straight but tapering back rearward a little, putting less overall rearward sweep to the spars in the outboard sections and putting the angle changes for those sections in the trailing edges.
2) Cutting one or two more slightly longer inner ribs for the outboard sections and making a sorta Albatrossy Bird-of-Time-ish set of outboard sections. Maybe. We'll see. Some sorta Spirit-of-Time if you will.
3) Moving the horiz stab forward a smidge, moving the vert stab rearward a smidge and making the vert stab at least 50% bigger.
4) Maybe, just maybe putting in a 2-piece-takedown full flying horiz stab mounted mid way on the vert stab(built with a nice sturdy thicker airfoil to support/accomodate the horiz stab).
5) Extend the nose section so that I can maybe get away with adding no nose weight (or a whole lot less).
6) If I really get daring and ambitious, re-do the dihedral completely to a gullwing dihedral and maybe put in ailerons, change the horiz and vert stab shapes to more elliptical shapes.

All the wood is there in the box, I'll just add a little more. I know, it's a LOT of big ideas at this point, but since I've heard soooo many similar comments about tip-stall, instability, non-reaction to rudder, etc I think I'll likely not make it any worse. Plus, I'm flying my Easy Eagle with the CG pretty far back and reactive so I think I'm up to it. Hopefully.

Due to my overall situation, I'll likely get a 2M Riser and stay within that size range to do to a lot of factors making bigger than that not really practical or more of a hassle.

Gotta get back to work - Paul
Last edited by Pauliwog; Jan 27, 2011 at 11:06 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:16 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
I've owned both of those 2m gliders and built and flown many others.

Honestly those two are the worst of all the popular old 2m gliders.

Among the older kits,

If you want the nicest floater........Gentle Lady.

And a beautiful flying faster 2m...............Sagitta 600.

My free tip: Get rid of that Spirit kit before you waste 80 hours building just to end up with a squirrel/pig hybrid.
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:17 AM
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Other than being slow, what's wrong with the Riser?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:26 AM
Clarkston, MI
Joined Jul 2009
38 Posts
The Sig Riser was my first glider and it was (is) an excellent first plane. Goes together well, flies great, and can be infinitely repaired. I've build the gentle lady as well and the wing structure is much weaker than that of the Sig Riser. Many of those that helped me learn to fly fly moldies and I received many comments on how well the Riser flies. But unfortunately the Riser is no more....l learned another beginner lesson and that is to remember to turn the battery switch in the plane on before launching from a high start.
NedBurdick is offline Find More Posts by NedBurdick
Last edited by NedBurdick; Jan 28, 2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:27 PM
Play loud, Fly high
Vincennes,IN USA
Joined Apr 2007
654 Posts
Riser vs Spirit

In 'Sailplane Combat' the Riser usually makes more, and prettier, confetti than the Spirit.
Gil Gauger is offline Find More Posts by Gil Gauger
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:56 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
Other than being slow, what's wrong with the Riser?

It crashes every 5 minutes due to being so ugly it's hard to keep your eyes on it.

Oh, you mean flight performance......well, it just doesn't thermal as well as other floaters and no one who saw it fly wanted it when I tried to give it away.
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:24 PM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
In the past, I have posted a link describing my experience with a 2m Spirit and the modifications that finally got the plane to fly reasonably well. Here is a link to my description:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...spiritmods.htm
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson
Old Jan 28, 2011, 05:57 PM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
843 Posts
plainpainter,

i am trying to decide how to finish an old spirit elite kit. i want to make it electric (for convenience), so i'm wondering about motor/etc. but i was alos thinking about redoing the fuse kinda like what you have done. this is before i learned about the plane's instability with the stock fuse (glad i read your posts).

can you tell me how to build that fuse?
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2010
939 Posts
Spirit Improvements

Mr Williamson - Thanks for the link, I actually saw that posting you made over a year ago and applied much of it to the building of my HOB 2x4 and Ace RC Easy Eagle, Good information. I now regard most(if not all) of what you wrote about as completely applicable to any woody plane I'll probably ever build. I even printed it off and keep it in my folder of reference information. Thanks again- Paul

Sig 2m Riser ugly???? - I always thought it was pretty cool and rather classic looking. But maybe that's just me.

Adios -Paul
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Jan 2010
939 Posts
More Spirit Wing Improvement Questions......

......Just curious, Does anyone think that the Spirit can be made to turn a little nicer, smoother, with less tip stall, etc by reducing the uplift angle of the the outboard sections of the wing(in addition to sheeting the forward sections of the tops of the wing LE-to-Spar in the outboard sections, and in addition to making the Vertstab/rudder larger)?

Inquiring minds want to know, Thanks - Paul
Old Jan 29, 2011, 12:11 AM
Joined Dec 2001
7,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flystoolow View Post
It crashes every 5 minutes due to being so ugly it's hard to keep your eyes on it.

Oh, you mean flight performance......well, it just doesn't thermal as well as other floaters and no one who saw it fly wanted it when I tried to give it away.
I thought the one I was helping a guy with flew a little better than most of the other 2M floaters.
RCG Plus Member