Old Feb 28, 2015, 04:51 PM
Find More Posts by Pitchspeeder
Oversquare if you dare
Earthbound
Joined Jul 2006
194 Posts
Question
Coming back to the hobby

Guys, its been a couple of years but I'd like to get back into HP planes. I need a little advice.

My gear is a bit dated so I want to start with getting a new radio. I have a Jr 9303 and an Enigma as well as D99 and a few others. I am also interested in getting into multirotors and FPV.

Which radio should I get? I don't mind changing from JR but want to get a TX that can handle the four servo wing of my hotliner. Is a DX7 good enough or do I need a DX9? Should I stay away from Spectrum? I would like the option to bind and fly with many of the off the shelf park stuff if possible. Don't want to break the bank.

Thanks - Jason
Pitchspeeder is offline Find More Posts by Pitchspeeder
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2015, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,751 Posts
Consider a Taranis plus a Spektrum DSM2 module - fits the Taranis and allows you select either the internal Taranis protocol or DSM2 model by model
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Mar 01, 2015, 12:03 AM
Oversquare if you dare
Earthbound
Joined Jul 2006
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Consider a Taranis plus a Spektrum DSM2 module - fits the Taranis and allows you select either the internal Taranis protocol or DSM2 model by model
Why do I need the Spektrum Module? Is it because the Taranis won't work with spektrum bund and fly models? It looks like a very nice radio and a great price.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by scirocco
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchspeeder View Post
Why do I need the Spektrum Module? Is it because the Taranis won't work with spektrum bund and fly models? It looks like a very nice radio and a great price.
Correct, the Taranis native protocol is FrSky ACCST, like Spektrum is DSM2/DSMX, and one of Futaba's is FASST, and they do NOT talk to each other.
But FrSky kindly provides a module bay so you can have FrSky ACCST and Spektrum DSM2 in the same radio. All the current Spektrum BnF models use DSM2/DSMx
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Mar 01, 2015, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Seale
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,126 Posts
If you're not already invested in Spektrum receivers, there is no argument for putting a Spektrum module into the Taranis. Use FrSky receivers which are every bit as good as the Spektrum ones and a lot cheaper. I'd argue they are actually better than Spektrum, but I am biased.

If you did feel the need to waste money with a Taranis and module, I would not take scirroco's advice and fit a DSM2 module into the Taranis - DSMX is their latest protocol and is much better than DSM2.

BTW, I've been using FrSky modules in a couple of Multiplex radios for a few years now and have just bought a Taranis Plus which is working out of the box with all my old FrSky receivers.
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Mar 01, 2015, 11:34 AM
Oversquare if you dare
Earthbound
Joined Jul 2006
194 Posts
The arguement would be easy bind and fly with some of the off the shelf spektrum quads that are available. I guess if I'm going to get a module, I might as well just put the module into my 9303 rather than buy a whole new TX. I have noticed that the are some cheaper (Orange) modules available out there that use DSM2 and DSMX protocols, so I guess that's an option.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by Mike Seale
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchspeeder View Post
The arguement would be easy bind and fly with some of the off the shelf spektrum quads that are available. I guess if I'm going to get a module, I might as well just put the module into my 9303 rather than buy a whole new TX. I have noticed that the are some cheaper (Orange) modules available out there that use DSM2 and DSMX protocols, so I guess that's an option.
I skipped over the BNF section of your original post - sorry. If your 9303 has the programmability to run what you want, then a speccy module is the cheapest option. Take a look at Lemon modules as well as the Orange ones. I've read good things about them.

If you find later that the JR transmitter is not up to the task you could then jump over to the Taranis.
Mike Seale is offline Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Mar 01, 2015, 05:29 PM
Oversquare if you dare
Earthbound
Joined Jul 2006
194 Posts
Okay, I'll check them out. Thanks guys.
Old Mar 03, 2015, 12:51 AM
Find More Posts by jjmouris
Needs to do 52 legs !!