Old Feb 07, 2015, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by snipeworm
Snipe the Skies!
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
2,511 Posts
New Product
Caliber FPV Wing

I am taking orders for the Caliber FPV wing by Snipe Air Industries.

The Caliber is a 37.5" wing with a strong pre assembled fuselage making mounting your FPV gear and lipos easier than ever. The Caliber size class offers the best of all worlds, great performance, ruggedness, and trans-portability. Simply throw the Caliber in the trunk and your'e off! Once at the field just a slight arm toss with half throttle and you are off and flying!

The battery bay sits on the bottom of the fuselage and has plenty of room making it possible to use many different size batteries and shifting your batteries to hit CG spot on every time. The clipping battery cover will keep your lipo and ESC protected on landing.

The camera shield offers added protection to your FPV camera during landings as well as making the craft more aerodynamic during flight.

Want to mount a flight controller on board? The Caliber has pre-drilled holes built into the fuselage to accept both 30mm boards and 45mm boards in multiple positions. Whether you want to add a Naze, Flip, Dragonfly, KK2, or any other similar sized board you will just need to bolt it in!

Mount your Mobius on the Mobius mount and enjoy Jello free video thanks to the included anti vibe mount!

The Caliber comes with 3 mil laminate and balsa elevons to offer superior strength and longevity. No warping elevons here!

The custom machined winglets will make your FPV wing the slickest looking wing on the block! The wing tips are also cut to allow washout and toe-in to provide the most stable flight possible from a tail less aircraft.

Order here!

http://snipeairindustries.com/
Caliber FPV Wing (2 min 40 sec)

Caliber build video (16 min 47 sec)

Caliber Launch (0 min 22 sec)
snipeworm is online now Find More Posts by snipeworm
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by snipeworm; Mar 19, 2015 at 03:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2015, 04:33 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Joined Feb 2012
2,511 Posts
Give Away Post! All current give aways and promotions will be listed here!

So on to the next give away!

As I said before I want to offer a prize for best build using the decals. Well instead of me picking a winner I will be using the random number generator to choose the winner. Just post pics of your build here or on the Snipe Air Industries Facebook page, and on March 30th (to give the last rush of orders time to build) I will assign the generator the task of choosing a winner!

The prize, the winner will get some of the foam remnants left over from cutting the caliber wings! Haha, just kidding... how about a Sunnysky Motor and 30 amp ESC combo! Just for posting a pic of your Caliber!

Thank you all for the great build pics! Here is the list of entries,

1 - post 139 - O2bergrn
2- post 303 - Demo7
3- post 351 - Nev1
4- post 373 - TwoheadsBrewing
5- post 464 - Turbine Noise
6- post 473 - Shelbonic
7- post 483 - bnn1044
8- post 489 - SDsurf
9- post 532 - Drmrdude
10- post 551 - Spawn62
11- post 598 - XigXags
12- post 608 - Boogyman

And the winner is, XigXags! Congrats!

Next contest will be posted soon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by snipeworm; Apr 06, 2015 at 08:24 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2015, 04:34 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Joined Feb 2012
2,511 Posts
Building tips

-Sand your wings with 120-180 grit sandpaper after installing the 1/16" spars just enough to smooth out the crisp layer left from the hotwire. This will allow the paint and laminate stick better to your plane.

-Do not glue your wings to your fuselage, only glue the wings to the spars. This will make replacing your fuselage easier later if needed.

-When applying your decals use a hair fryer to lightly warm the transfer tape. This will make it come off easier. When peeling the transfer tape off be sure to pull from the side and not straight up so that you do not pull your laminate off the plane.

-I have recently tried a new method of working with the laminate and servo to make the build even cleaner. It works great! Here is how I have been doing it.

Laminate the top of the wing as in the build video but without the servo installed. Be sure to run from the leading edge to the trailing edge with an inch and a half or so of laminate hanging off the leading edge to wrap around the leading edge to the bottom of the plane.

After laminating the top of the wing place your servo about 9 inches from the fuselage and just on the tail side of the 1/16" spar. I prefer to square my servos up with the hinge so they have the least amount of resistance to work against.

( side note - Having the servos not lined up with the airflow will cause drag. bi-lateral drag is a good thing on tailless aircraft! it helps fight yaw drift)

I hold the servos in place and trace around where they will be mounted with a pen. Using a sharp blade I cut about 1/8" inside the lines so that when the servo is installed it is held tightly by the foam. Run the servo wire straight down and out the bottom of the wing. Then located the rear lower spar where it passes through the center section. Cut a 3/8" square out of the foam about 1/2" deep on the tail side of the spar where the spar and center section intersect. You should find the servo wire routing hole. Using a straight edge cut a 1/4" deep slot from the servo routing hole to where the servo wire is penetraiong the bottom of the wing. bury the servo wire in the slot.

Continue to laminate the bottom of the wing, wrapping around the leading edge as in the video to give the leading edge a double layer of laminate.

Flight Tips

For your maiden flight set your center of gravity to about 3/4" forward of the rear spar. Add 1/4" reflex (upward elevon) to your trim and be sure they are equal on both sides.

Launch by holding the outer part of your wing, applying 60-80 percent throttle, and lightly tossing your Caliber in the direction you wish to fly. Be sure to keep your self clear of the prop at all times!

Once in the air, trim your Caliber to fly straight at 50% throttle. Once trimmed out punch the throttle to 90-100%. Your plane should pull up! Believe it or not, his is because your caliber is flying nose heavy! When flying nose heavy the Caliber will require more reflex to fly straight, the faster the plane flies, the more authority is given to the elevon. Because of this we will need to find the "sweet spot" for your plane. Due to differences in building techniques each Caliber can have a different "sweet spot".

To find the best CG for your Caliber continue to test by moving the CG back 1/4" at a time, setting trims to fly straight at half throttle, and punching it to 90-100 percent throttle. As you shift your CG rear ward, your Caliber should pull up less and less on high throttle. When you have finally reached the point where your Caliber only slightly rises on high speed, your CG is dialed! Mark the location and use that CG and go fly!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by snipeworm; Mar 09, 2015 at 01:30 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2015, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by schumixmd
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
2,007 Posts
Nice building video!
schumixmd is online now Find More Posts by schumixmd
Old Feb 09, 2015, 01:56 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Joined Feb 2012
2,511 Posts
Thanks. I tried to keep it as brief and to the point as possible. I have a very mono tone voice, so I opted for the notations and up tempo jams so you don't fall asleep.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Caliber FPV Wing
Old Feb 09, 2015, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by schumixmd
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
2,007 Posts
Well, it is as perfect as it could be! You'll win the building contest
schumixmd is online now Find More Posts by schumixmd
Old Feb 10, 2015, 05:32 PM
Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,788 Posts
interested in this....im currently rocking a FT Blunt nose versa...love it to death...but i think this is a little more substantial and at a good price point...plus i like that center section for everything...

Whats the recommended power system for this? I am running a sunny sky 2216 1250kv on 3s 3300 and 9x6 prop on the versa...full 1.3 for fpv.
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Feb 10, 2015, 05:34 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Joined Feb 2012
2,511 Posts
That's the perfect power train for the Caliber! Another great option is the sunnysky 2212 1400 kv with an 8x6 prop if you want to go with a smaller battery for a lighter setup.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by snipeworm; Feb 10, 2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 05:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
That's the perfect power train for the Caliber! Another great option is the sunnysky 2212 1400 kv with an 8x6 prop if you want to go with a smaller battery for a lighter setup.
cool...thanks for the info..how long will you be running the pre sale promo?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 06:03 PM
Snipe the Skies!
Joined Feb 2012
2,511 Posts
Until I'm out of stock. Should be good for a few more days.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
3,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipeworm View Post
Until I'm out of stock. Should be good for a few more days.
awesome!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 01:18 AM
Find More Posts by Drmrdude
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2014
121 Posts
SNIPOD v2

Are you still selling the SNIPOD for the popwing or just the full kit with wings?
Drmrdude is offline Find More Posts by Drmrdude
Old Feb 11, 2015, 02:05 AM
Snipe the Skies!
Joined Feb 2012
2,511 Posts
I may have the fuselage for sell separately soon. I am still working on what would be included and at what cost.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by jspieker
Jon
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
I would be interested in the Fuselage as I still haven't put the wings on the Fuselage I built over Christmas vacation. Would be nice to have the laminate with it perhaps.
jspieker is offline Find More Posts by jspieker
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by fotosaccion
KC5CXC
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Nov 2013
395 Posts
AWESOME build video!!

Hector
fotosaccion is offline Find More Posts by fotosaccion