HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:46 PM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
1,748 Posts
Just picked one of these up and did a very quick prop hang test in my kitchen..... I'm amazed.....held vertical, balance throttle........and it.just sat in space doing it's thing....after 30 seconds hang time I plucked it out of the air.....brilliant.

Now all I need to do is figure how to program the as3x to my 9xr and it's lots more happy flying.
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:02 PM
Champaign. Illinois
Joined Jun 2003
709 Posts
Hey all,

The AS3Xtra will be shipping in the US from Horizon Hobby tomorrow.

Should start seeing them very soon.

Hope that helps.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Mattfly is online now Find More Posts by Mattfly
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:09 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly View Post
Hey all,

Hope that helps.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Music. Great news. Please ship 12 to my address.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:16 PM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Music. Great news. Please ship 12 to my address.
I also have one on the way,,usually get ONE extra prop,,,,,,,,How many DOZEN R U getting ,,1 doz ,,,,3 doz ,,,MMMM mayBE A GROSS,,,,,,,
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:28 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,426 Posts
Quote:
Hey all,

Hope that helps.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
------

Merry Christmas!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2013, 05:30 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1 View Post
I also have one on the way,,usually get ONE extra prop,,,,,,,,How many DOZEN R U getting ,,1 doz ,,,,3 doz ,,,MMMM mayBE A GROSS,,,,,,,
Dale- you havent seen the last of the yak vid competition. There are still one or two parts without glue holding them together and I intend to address that when the weather permits. What I do to my Yak outdoors I fully intend to replicate indoors with this one. . .

So yes, that was 12 dozen.

Let the carnage ensue!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Dec 09, 2013, 06:52 PM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
995 Posts
Quote:
Hey all,

Hope that helps.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby

Awesome news Matt!
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:30 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Hey all,

Hope that helps.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
That's great! I'll have one coming my way. Too bad I won't be able to fly it until Christmas.

-Andres
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Mar 2006
32 Posts
I am hoping that some of you guys can help me out with the following. I want to get into indoor 3D flying and the UMX AS3Xtra looks like the plane to do it with. I currently do not own any Spektrum radios and was going to buy a DX-6i as they are very competitively priced but am now concerned due to some posts on this thread that it won't work properly as it doesn't have a 3 position switch like the 8 or 9 channel radios. Is this true or will the DX-6i work just fine and if so, how hard would it be for a person to set it up properly?
Any chance that programming instructions for this setup for the DX-6 will be included with the plane? Also with the addition of AS3, will a person be able to slow this plane down more than previous micro 3D planes? Thanks in advance for your help!
Melvin Johnston is online now Find More Posts by Melvin Johnston
Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:49 AM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Johnston View Post
I am hoping that some of you guys can help me out with the following. I want to get into indoor 3D flying and the UMX AS3Xtra looks like the plane to do it with. I currently do not own any Spektrum radios and was going to buy a DX-6i as they are very competitively priced but am now concerned due to some posts on this thread that it won't work properly as it doesn't have a 3 position switch like the 8 or 9 channel radios. Is this true or will the DX-6i work just fine and if so, how hard would it be for a person to set it up properly?
Any chance that programming instructions for this setup for the DX-6 will be included with the plane? Also with the addition of AS3, will a person be able to slow this plane down more than previous micro 3D planes? Thanks in advance for your help!
The dx6i will be perfect, you have to use the mix switch to get the third mode but no real issues with that. Follow the settings a couple of pages ago.
The instructions do not give details on how to set th radio up but out of the box and bind you will have as3x mode and hover assist on the gear switch.

The dx6i is very easy to program and I'm sure someone will do a setup video on YouTube for that radio and plane before long, if not I'll post one next week for it.

Oh and it flies as fast or slow as you want, but remember at slow speeds your not gonna be able to do loads of 3d moves without managing the throttle.
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Dec 10, 2013, 07:25 AM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
995 Posts
Quote:

The dx6i will work just fine! If your really looking into getting into RC in the future and "up-grading" I recomend just investing the money into a 8 or 9. I love my 9
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:45 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,345 Posts
Quote:
What radios do you currently have? You can use Spektrum in module based radios. Works fine.
Fentonflyers is offline Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:13 AM
United States, OR, Ashland
Joined Mar 2013
69 Posts
Quote:
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, although I already have a DX6i and really like it. Programming is super easy and versatile. The limitation of 10 memory slots is the only thing about it that I have outgrown. When I bought it, 10 seemed like plenty. Now, the addiction has progressed beyond what mine and my son's DX6i can support. I'm eyeballing the DX8
On the plane issue .....
a couple of months ago I was trying to find an Extra 300 with no luck. I decided to use the guts from my AS3X Spitfire and build a Dynamic Foamy DF200 (the Dynex 2.4 was currently being redesigned). The build went very well and I was amazed at how well it flew. I did the re-programming thing on the brick thanks to the help from a few guys here on the forum, and can turn the AS3X on or off with the GEAR switch.
Then, the new Dynex 2.4 came out and I immediately got that one too, and put the guts from an ASK-21 into it. I was ecstatically hovering on my maiden flight (this from a guy just getting started on 3D).
Both these planes fly very slowly when I want them to and have been a great learning tool for me. I fly them outdoors in the morning calm, not inside.
If you have spare micro guts laying around and enjoy the tinkering, it is a fun way to go for $35!

It was funny .... the very same weekend after I built the AS3X version of the DF200, HH announced the AS3Xtra! I had to laugh because it seems everytime I make a move into something, they release new technology and then drop the price significantly on whatever it was that I just got. Projection TV ..... OK, Stallman just bought the big screen..... go ahead and release the LCD technology and let's make it real cheap just to grind it in a bit!". Let's just say I guessed-right back when it was the VHS/BETA tape issue (high5).
Anyway .... I pre-ordered the AS3Xtra as soon as it was announced, and very much looking forward to seeing how it compares to the two AS3X Dynamic Foamys that I built. I already have the DX6i programmed for the 3 way positions on the flight modes.

Awesome videos on here guys! Thanks for the great inspiration!!!! I'm determined to learn that knife-edge move as you go from left to right and then back again. Very cool!!!!

Any tips on working one's way into rolling harriers? Voro's 3D school has a good tutorial on it as well as others - but do any of you guys have anything to chime-in on? TurnerM?....ReneRC? .....Seth?...... You guys make it all look effortless!

HH ..... (happy holidays
Capt. Sledge is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Sledge
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:19 AM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Sledge View Post
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, although I already have a DX6i and really like it. Programming is super easy and versatile. The limitation of 10 memory slots is the only thing about it that I have outgrown. When I bought it, 10 seemed like plenty. Now, the addiction has progressed beyond what mine and my son's DX6i can support. I'm eyeballing the DX8
On the plane issue .....
a couple of months ago I was trying to find an Extra 300 with no luck. I decided to use the guts from my AS3X Spitfire and build a Dynamic Foamy DF200 (the Dynex 2.4 was currently being redesigned). The build went very well and I was amazed at how well it flew. I did the re-programming thing on the brick thanks to the help from a few guys here on the forum, and can turn the AS3X on or off with the GEAR switch.
Then, the new Dynex 2.4 came out and I immediately got that one too, and put the guts from an ASK-21 into it. I was ecstatically hovering on my maiden flight (this from a guy just getting started on 3D).
Both these planes fly very slowly when I want them to and have been a great learning tool for me. I fly them outdoors in the morning calm, not inside.
If you have spare micro guts laying around and enjoy the tinkering, it is a fun way to go for $35!

It was funny .... the very same weekend after I built the AS3X version of the DF200, HH announced the AS3Xtra! I had to laugh because it seems everytime I make a move into something, they release new technology and then drop the price significantly on whatever it was that I just got. Projection TV ..... OK, Stallman just bought the big screen..... go ahead and release the LCD technology and let's make it real cheap just to grind it in a bit!". Let's just say I guessed-right back when it was the VHS/BETA tape issue (high5).
Anyway .... I pre-ordered the AS3Xtra as soon as it was announced, and very much looking forward to seeing how it compares to the two AS3X Dynamic Foamys that I built. I already have the DX6i programmed for the 3 way positions on the flight modes.

Awesome videos on here guys! Thanks for the great inspiration!!!! I'm determined to learn that knife-edge move as you go from left to right and then back again. Very cool!!!!

Any tips on working one's way into rolling harriers? Voro's 3D school has a good tutorial on it as well as others - but do any of you guys have anything to chime-in on? TurnerM?....ReneRC? .....Seth?...... You guys make it all look effortless!

HH ..... (happy holidays
I've been working rolling harriers as well. I use a sim with time slowed down. When I'm flying a plane, I'm doing modified 4-point harrier rolls for muscle memory. Start with upright harrier, roll left to canopy in KE harrier, back to upright, and repeat. For batteries on end. I'm now adding in slow 4-point rolls in harrier. It's extremely difficult to do - at least for me. You need a solid basis in harrier, inverted harrier, knife edge, and an EXTREMELY well sorted plane. Just some tips that have been helping me - but hopefully a bunch of others can chime in that actually have the fruit on the tree.

Ben
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Dec 10, 2013, 11:05 AM
"Add Lightness"..Colin Chapman
Keystone State, USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,126 Posts
There has been a lot of great discussion about the DX6i and this plane but could someone explain simply how the modes will work on A DX8?

Will there be any mixing needed etc or will it just default to a certain switch?
Elisecat is offline Find More Posts by Elisecat