SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2013
7 Posts
Thanks!
Bwennen33 is offline Find More Posts by Bwennen33
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:48 AM
Registered User
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Any chance the stock TX will work as a buddy box with a DX6i? It looks an awful lot like a DX4e and it has the same 3.5mm buddy box/sim cable connection. Also can the sim cable be used with my DX6i? Again it's the same connection. My Wing Tiger has been rotting away in a closet. I would like to take it out again as the weather improves and would like to let my old man have some fun on the buddy box.
JerseyFresh609 is offline Find More Posts by JerseyFresh609
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:52 AM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
CSR beeps when more than one servo runs at a time.

I have a wingtiger which runs great if only the motor and one servo is running. But when i use one mor servo like the rudder. The Motor (ESC) beeps and wont run until some seconds after. Is this normal ?
And what can the problem be?

This is my first plane, and i really want to get it in the air.

Regards
Dahl
Rcdahl is offline Find More Posts by Rcdahl
Last edited by Rcdahl; Mar 07, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:03 AM
Registered User
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcdahl View Post
I have a wingtiger which runs great if only the motor and one servo is running. But when i use one mor servo like the rudder. The Motor (ESC) beeps and wont run until some seconds after. Is this normal ?
And what can the problem be?

This is my first plane, and i really want to get it in the air.

Regards
Dahl
Definitely not normal but sorry I don't know exactly what would cause that but it sure sounds like an issue with the ESC. If you bought it new, I'm sure it's covered by a warranty or perhaps replaced by your retailer.
JerseyFresh609 is offline Find More Posts by JerseyFresh609
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:09 AM
Registered User
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Flew a bunch of packs through my Wing Tiger this weekend. It's flying great! Nice gentle characteristics and plenty of power with a 9x6 prop. Getting 12 minute flights with a 2200mah 3s 20c Turnigy pack. Can't believe I found this plane for $25. I'm way beyond the skill level of a trainer but for the price it's great to mess around with.
JerseyFresh609 is offline Find More Posts by JerseyFresh609
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:12 AM
Registered User
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Also does anyone know what size clevises will fit the threaded control rods on this thing? My rudder clevis isn't looking so hot.
JerseyFresh609 is offline Find More Posts by JerseyFresh609
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2013, 02:57 AM
Registered User
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
Hi guys,

A week ago, I was going to post a question about what adhesives to use to repair my Wing Tiger v2 front section. The plane crashed while inverted , nose first . Maybe the fault was mine or a signal loss, I don't know for sure, I was too close to the ground to try to recover.

I did manage to find what I needed for the repairs and did it quite nicely.The result was that after a few minutes of beautiful flight, the plane crashed again nose first. That was so sick !
This time I did have the required altitude to recover but nothing.

Nothing I could do to repair the fuselage, had to order another one. When it arrived, I did some small tests of the receiver with the servos connected and I noticed that some times, the receiver lost signal. The distance between TX-RX was in the 20 cm range. Then I figured out that if I was too close to the RX ( 1cm or touching it with the TX) it rebooted and was taking quite a while.Maybe this is normal but at least 2 or 3 times it lost signal even when I was at 20 cm back.

I am using the stock radio meaning those cheap plastics. I was amazed to see that the receiver sells for about 30 dollars here in Romania.

I feel this urge to fix the plane again and just fly it, but maybe I should just get a decent radio first.

Has anyone encountered issues with the stock radio and do you advise me to do ?

Thanks!
imarius27 is offline Find More Posts by imarius27
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2013, 10:31 AM
Registered User
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imarius27 View Post
Hi guys,

A week ago, I was going to post a question about what adhesives to use to repair my Wing Tiger v2 front section. The plane crashed while inverted , nose first . Maybe the fault was mine or a signal loss, I don't know for sure, I was too close to the ground to try to recover.

I did manage to find what I needed for the repairs and did it quite nicely.The result was that after a few minutes of beautiful flight, the plane crashed again nose first. That was so sick !
This time I did have the required altitude to recover but nothing.

Nothing I could do to repair the fuselage, had to order another one. When it arrived, I did some small tests of the receiver with the servos connected and I noticed that some times, the receiver lost signal. The distance between TX-RX was in the 20 cm range. Then I figured out that if I was too close to the RX ( 1cm or touching it with the TX) it rebooted and was taking quite a while.Maybe this is normal but at least 2 or 3 times it lost signal even when I was at 20 cm back.

I am using the stock radio meaning those cheap plastics. I was amazed to see that the receiver sells for about 30 dollars here in Romania.

I feel this urge to fix the plane again and just fly it, but maybe I should just get a decent radio first.

Has anyone encountered issues with the stock radio and do you advise me to do ?

Thanks!

Quick dry white Gorilla Glue works great on foam, just watch the foaming. I mostly flew my Wing Tiger on a DX6i with an OrangeRX receiver. Before I sold the plane I put the stock Rx/Tx back in it and flew it 3 or 4 times without any issues though if you're experiencing problems you might not want to risk it so go ahead and pick up a better radio. It's something you will need anyway as you get more involved in the hobby and gives you a lot more than the cheap stock setup possibly could. I would suggest something like a Spektrum DX6i ($150ish?) or the OrangeRx T-Six ($65). I'm using a DX6i and it does everything I need it to. I use OrangeRx receivers which can be found cheaply and haven't had any problems with them. The T-six looks very comparable to the Dx6i and is much cheaper though I haven't had any hands on with one. The Turnigy 9XR ($50 + module) is also an option, which is a lot of bang for your buck. You then can use your choice of module such as DSM or FrSky. It's a lot of radio for the money but it isn't beginner friendly. Then we have the FrSky Tanaris. It is releasing very shortly and will do absolutely anything you need it to. It will be the best radio for the money hands down ($200 with a case, battery and receiver). It has expandable memory, full telemetry, voice alerts and much more. It has a built in FrSky protocol module which is suppose to be very reliable and it also has a module port so you can add the module of your choice as well.
JerseyFresh609 is offline Find More Posts by JerseyFresh609
Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:23 PM
Registered User
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined May 2013
24 Posts
I find the 5minute 2part epoxy glue to work well on it. As for the radio, I learned that no matter how they advertise it, the signal range will always vary. My Futaba radio signal range for the receiver in my f18 is about 2000ft and the one in my p51 is about 1250ft so you never know....
DeSong is offline Find More Posts by DeSong
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:58 PM
Novice nitro head!
South Africa, GP, Kempton Park
Joined Jun 2013
11 Posts
HI guys, Can anyone tell me what the control throws need to be for a first time pilot?

I had to replace the rudder/nose wheel servo. It was dead out of the box. I could not find a original so I got a form, fit function replacement. Now I don't know how much the rudder needs to deflect.

Any help or ideas?
ArchMule is offline Find More Posts by ArchMule
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2013, 11:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMule View Post
HI guys, Can anyone tell me what the control throws need to be for a first time pilot?

I had to replace the rudder/nose wheel servo. It was dead out of the box. I could not find a original so I got a form, fit function replacement. Now I don't know how much the rudder needs to deflect.

Any help or ideas?
Best i remember with the stock transmitter throw is 100% with no adjustment. If you are using a different radio with throw adjustment capability I would set it to 75% or so. That said the wing tiger I had didn't have much throw out of the box anyway. All control surfaces were very stiff which resulted in poor aliron,elevator,rudder movement. If yours is that way you may need 100% on all.
I would take push rods loose on all controls and flex them by hand several times to loosen them before flying.
Happy Flying!!
Best
Regards
Michael
mikenc is offline Find More Posts by mikenc
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 03, 2013, 07:24 PM
Registered User
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined May 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMule View Post
HI guys, Can anyone tell me what the control throws need to be for a first time pilot?

I had to replace the rudder/nose wheel servo. It was dead out of the box. I could not find a original so I got a form, fit function replacement. Now I don't know how much the rudder needs to deflect.

Any help or ideas?
If you're talking about the 3CH Art-Tech Wing Dragon III, I do think the elevator and the rudder throw should be 1/2".
DeSong is offline Find More Posts by DeSong
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2013, 05:17 PM
Registered User
twowheels's Avatar
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Jun 2013
14 Posts
I just back from my maiden flight of my new Wing Tiger, it was a blast. Thank to this thread
I was able to get it all assembled and work threw all of the eccentricities of this plane. This is my first 4 channel plane and I did take the time to just fly it as a glider down a hill without the prop to make sure that it would not have any surprising behavior. I was so pleased how easy it is to fly, I did maybe 5 or 6 landings a 1 touch and go with only one minor mishap with no damage. I should have my 3" wheels tomorrow and am planning on flying again.
Thanks everyone for sharing all of this great knowledge!

Another thing, mine came with a 20A esc and the brushless motor. Have the esc's that have been melting down been from the brushed or brushless motors?
twowheels is offline Find More Posts by twowheels
Last edited by twowheels; Jul 05, 2013 at 05:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2013, 05:17 PM
Registered User
twowheels's Avatar
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Jun 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I just back from my maiden flight of my new Wing Tiger, it was a blast. Thank to this thread
I was able to get it all assembled and work threw all of the eccentricities of this plane. This is my first 4 channel plane and I did take the time to just fly it as a glider down a hill without the prop to make sure that it would not have any surprising behavior. I was so pleased how easy it is to fly, I did maybe 5 or 6 landings a 1 touch and go with only one minor mishap with no damage. I should have my 3" wheels tomorrow and am planning on flying again.
Thanks everyone for sharing all of this great knowledge!

Another thing, mine came with a 20A esc and the brushless motor. Have the esc's that have been melting down been from the brushed or brushless motors?


OK,
so I am 5 flights in now and I love this thing. I just added some 3" wheels for grass landings.
twowheels is offline Find More Posts by twowheels
Last edited by twowheels; Jul 08, 2013 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 08, 2013, 06:07 PM
Registered User
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined May 2013
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I just back from my maiden flight of my new Wing Tiger, it was a blast. Thank to this thread
I was able to get it all assembled and work threw all of the eccentricities of this plane. This is my first 4 channel plane and I did take the time to just fly it as a glider down a hill without the prop to make sure that it would not have any surprising behavior. I was so pleased how easy it is to fly, I did maybe 5 or 6 landings a 1 touch and go with only one minor mishap with no damage. I should have my 3" wheels tomorrow and am planning on flying again.
Thanks everyone for sharing all of this great knowledge!

Another thing, mine came with a 20A esc and the brushless motor. Have the esc's that have been melting down been from the brushed or brushless motors?
Hey twowheels. The Wing Tiger's ESC doesn't have the tendency to get hot, but if you're flying it a few times and you don't let it rest until the ESC cools down, it will get hot and eventually burn out. The fuselage for the aircraft doesn't have much ventilation to keep the ESC cool, so what can be done is to put holes on the fuselage for better air cooling or let it rest (maybe 5 minutes?) in between flights. Let me know if this helps.
DeSong is offline Find More Posts by DeSong
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion So whats the difference between begin air / wing dragon by art tech? wrangler Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 2 Nov 19, 2006 05:29 PM
Mono wing Tiger Moth GalantVR4 GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 37 Oct 03, 2004 08:37 PM
Yippee! Jaro Muller latest: state of the art W wing structure: Elita Protocooler The Builders Workshop 10 Feb 25, 2004 12:45 AM
Clipped wing Tiger Moth KLH Parkflyers 3 Sep 15, 2001 01:06 AM