HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2014, 12:42 AM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
723 Posts
Discussion
Twin Motor Pico fun

I've been having a blast with hacking the Pico stick frame, and the yellow twin (tractor/pusher) is my newest.....maiden soon..

33" ws
15oz flying weight
3 cell 1100 mah pack
2 8x3.4 props
2 blue wonder motors
2 Talon 15 amp esc
2 to 1 thrust ratio
4 servos- 2 aileron, rudder, elevator

I've flown the red one..and its a kick, flies beautifully....the yellow is ready for maiden when the weather clears

The only tricky thing will be a power off launch, due to the fingers being real close to the rear prop....done that finger prop thing...don't want to again....
rpm3 is online now Find More Posts by rpm3
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:20 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,790 Posts
Those look like fun. I just ended up with four 25A Scorpion ESC's that will not work with multirotor FC's. Pair them up with some foam wings I have lying around and make a stick fuse for something fun to chuck into the air.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:02 AM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
723 Posts
....yes......my hacks take a bit of time.....lots of "one off" small wood parts....and I don't have the best tools.....and a lot of trial and error in fitting them, and then at the end....getting the CG correct.

The yellow twin has a few unknowns for me.....and one, is what kind of impact does the pusher prop get from the tractors prop wash.....I'm hoping the setup will be fine...as there are plenty of twins with the push pull configuration that fly....but things like thrust lines, wing incidence, control surface size, and location, all of that is untested.....sooooooo....time will tell....

and the biggest challenge, is that the hand launch will need to be power off, toss, then power on quick to avoid the "hand in prop" thing.....so getting it airborne and trimmed the first flight will be tricky.....the first few seconds a bit....ahem....exciting....
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:04 AM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
723 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...o#post26300500

and I'm not happy with the front canopy on the yellow twin.....kinda clumsy looking....but that will be a work in progress......what I've got will do for now....
Last edited by rpm3; Dec 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old Today, 07:44 PM
Pleasanton, California
Joined Nov 2000
723 Posts
Wing made of Pico stick wings....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2308629

Another fun flyer....I Iove hacking into the Pico platform.....matched with the brushless Blue Wonder, and a 3 cell lipo.....plenty of juice

Ralph Matile