SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:31 AM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Feb 2013
828 Posts
Unless Horizon comes out with new firmware for the flight controller, there's nothing you can do. The AS3X is preset by Horizon and is not designed for high speed flight. It's an ultra-maneuverable 3D plane designed for low and slow flying. Fly it like it was designed and you'll like it. Try to make it something it's not and you'll be disappointed.
ST_Bob is online now Find More Posts by ST_Bob
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:40 AM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
316 Posts
flip the gear switch.
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:01 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
816 Posts
Hi there AS3Xtra pilots,

I am new to flying the AS3Xtra, though not to Rc flying in general,

Recently I decided I would build myself a 3D 1S pattern plane from some depron I have lying around. The results weren't the best, I'm not a great builder, so I wasn't to hopeful.

I have spent a good number of hours recreating a AS3Xtra airframe plan in adobe illustrator from photographs of the plane I have found.

If anyone is interested, I can post the design here on this thread.

The plan is meant to be made from 2-3 mm depron and has holes in the fuse, just like the original for weight saving.

You could then, as was going to do, cover the frame with a plastic covering or even use a thinner sheet of depron as a skin.

Alternatives include even using tissue paper as the film covering.

Regards Nathan
Groovechampion is offline Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Dec 14, 2014, 10:54 PM
Australia, WA, North Perth
Joined Jan 2014
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead540 View Post
...this plane just don't fly right hard to fly high and fast then dive and loop and roll when it goes into porpise all the time...
Could it be possible that you have in it the wrong AS3X mode for the type of flying you're doing? Try it in "Standard" flight mode and see if that fixes the problem (you need to program the receiver using the transmitter to get the standard flight mode on a DX6i)

Edit: or maybe a badly out of balance prop could cause the AS3X system to freak out as well?
benz11 is online now Find More Posts by benz11
Last edited by benz11; Dec 14, 2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:11 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,602 Posts
Yes if it porpoises when flying semi-fast, you're in one of the special as3x modes (hover, knife edge, etc).
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Dec 17, 2014, 02:36 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
Quote:
ok to all you guys, who have lots more time to experiment and fly then I seem to get lately. Has anyone come up with a way to shut off or disable the assist modes on the as3xtra ... main reason I am wondering is I recently purchased one of the new cfx180 helis and they are already updating firmware on the board can anything like this be done on the extra board to shut off the assist modes seems to be a good flyer except the as3x system always wants to fight me get porpise in dives and high speed passes . I fly it on a dx6i ... I have tried rebinding and stick binding but do not seem to get any better results . I have only flown mine at 6 or 8 indoor nights due to it not flying right . very disappointed in this version compared to the red one which is why I made this purchase . I flew the club presidents red one and it flies great even better on my 45 c batteries . makes for some very boring indoor meetings since this plane just don't fly right hard to fly high and fast then dive and loop and roll when it goes into porpise all the time. so it usually sits in the box on the table and doesn't get flown much
Make certain you are in Standard AS3X mode:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/bind-n-f...ology-eflu5150

I fly one and there are (or have been) a number of others flying locally and I've never witnessed one that had oscillation issues in Standard AS3X mode.

Fly in only Standard AS3X mode and see if you are still getting oscillation on the control surfaces. The "porpising" is probably the elevator oscillating at higher speeds. If it is, then try removing as much slop as you can from the control linkage. Mine will sometimes oscillate when hovering in Hover Assist mode. The elevator wags the tail slowly and it kind of reminds me of a slowly swimming fish. Usually, any momentary input on the flight controls settles it back down.

If it is something you purchased recently, give Horizon a call see what they have as far as a solution. While you can't change the programmed gain yourself, manufacturing tolerances may have provided a brick with a touch too much gain. They may replace the brick or the whole plane.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2014, 04:39 PM
a little kid at heart
Poulsbo, Wa
Joined Sep 2004
1,237 Posts
I might add that you may be in hover assist mode when you dont think you are.(this does cause porposing) You have to do some odd programming to get the dx61 to use all 3 modes and the instructions in rcgroups here reverses them on your gear switch. ie you need to reverse the gear mode. Fixed mine.

Just a thot.

Bill
poulsbobill is offline Find More Posts by poulsbobill
Old Dec 19, 2014, 09:39 PM
United States, OR, Eagle Creek
Joined Apr 2007
173 Posts
Just made a deal on a original version dx7 heli radio from another member on here will bind it to that radio and give it a try when it arrives then I should be able to get into standard mode . I have tried doing the stick dance binding to change mode preference with my dx6i but has never seem to make any difference . the dx7 should be here before new years day
motorhead540 is online now Find More Posts by motorhead540
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:47 PM
United States, MA, Worcester
Joined Feb 2013
828 Posts
You can program 2 switches and a mix on the DX6i to give you the 3 modes. You can test to see if it's switching by hand-holding the plane and momentarily blipping the throttle to arm the AS3X. Rotating in each axis will allow you to see the changes in AS3X activity to verify your rdio settings. The monitor screen will help too.
ST_Bob is online now Find More Posts by ST_Bob
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:12 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST_Bob View Post
You can program 2 switches and a mix on the DX6i to give you the 3 modes. You can test to see if it's switching by hand-holding the plane and momentarily blipping the throttle to arm the AS3X. Rotating in each axis will allow you to see the changes in AS3X activity to verify your rdio settings. The monitor screen will help too.
That's encouraging. I have a Beast 3D that I haven't yet programmed my DX6i for.
BryanEW710 is online now Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM
Joined Oct 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST_Bob View Post
Unless Horizon comes out with new firmware for the flight controller, there's nothing you can do. The AS3X is preset by Horizon and is not designed for high speed flight. It's an ultra-maneuverable 3D plane designed for low and slow flying. Fly it like it was designed and you'll like it.. Try to make it something it's not and you'll be disappointed.
While I agree that if you fly it like it was intended, it flies great. However, if you fly it like it was intended and nose it into the ground by accident, you'll be VERY disappointed! This little plane is SO fragile, you can't freakin breath on it without causing damage. Let alone, nose it in while landing. I tried to repair the damn thing a dozen times. Each time I'd fly it, it would break something. After the last hit it took, it's a total lose. This plane will be on the list of planes I have/had that is the least bang for the buck I've ever spent my money on. I really liked the way it flies, if HH could come up with a better way to make the main frame stronger, it would be a much better experience.
Fly by nite is offline Find More Posts by Fly by nite
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
Just a whisper in the wind
United States, OH, Chillicothe
Joined Jul 2012
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly by nite View Post
While I agree that if you fly it like it was intended, it flies great. However, if you fly it like it was intended and nose it into the ground by accident, you'll be VERY disappointed! This little plane is SO fragile, you can't freakin breath on it without causing damage. Let alone, nose it in while landing. I tried to repair the damn thing a dozen times. Each time I'd fly it, it would break something. After the last hit it took, it's a total lose. This plane will be on the list of planes I have/had that is the least bang for the buck I've ever spent my money on. I really liked the way it flies, if HH could come up with a better way to make the main frame stronger, it would be a much better experience.
Are you trying to do a blender which is causing your problems? If you fly within your skill set you'll be fine. You can reinforce the frame with c.f. rods too. I reinforced my tail since when I hover I like to pirouette on the ground
Birds of Prey is online now Find More Posts by Birds of Prey
Old Today, 08:36 PM
Joined Jan 2014
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovechampion View Post

I have spent a good number of hours recreating a AS3Xtra airframe... If anyone is interested, I can post the design here on this thread...
Go for it Nathan! I would love to see what you came up with.

starscream4002 has designed something similar to the AS3Xtra airframe as well:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1575326
Old Today, 08:46 PM
Joined Jan 2014
39 Posts
Quote:
...I have tried doing the stick dance binding to change mode preference with my dx6i but has never seem to make any difference...
I fly mine with a DX6i and also had trouble switching the modes at first. I finally realised that my mistake was I was using a mode 1 transmitter but the guy on the HH video on youtube was using a mode 2 transmitter... So when he was saying "throttle", I was using the wrong sticks, as my throttle was on the opposite side to his. When I finally tried just holding my sticks in the same configuration as the picture in the manual (left stick fully up, right stick up and to the left) it worked the first time.

Good luck!