SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:27 AM
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
Discussion
Going CNC

First step in building full size balloons/blimps: build your own CNC fabric cutter!

This took me three months and $3K in materials to pull off:

CNC Fabric Cutter: G-code modification test (2 min 28 sec)

Automated Registration Marks & Labeling (6 min 42 sec)
pyronaught is online now Find More Posts by pyronaught
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
First test of my home made CNC heat wheel for sealing aluminized film. I'm currently redesigning the tool head to include a third cylinder with a cutting wheel, enabling me to do sealing, cutting and pen marking all in one hands-free operation.
Old Nov 04, 2013, 11:22 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,480 Posts
That's really impressive.

So when are you going to start taking orders for made to specification envelopes?
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Nov 05, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
Maybe when I get the machine finalized and working on different types of films. Right now I'm redesigning the tool head so that it has three tools on it: rotary cutting wheel, rotary heat sealer and plotting pen. This way I can seal, cut and make reference marks all in one operation

The first project is going to be a helium filled RC flying saucer, which is something I was working on several years back but had to stop due to difficulties in making the envelope. This machine solves the problems I was having, so I'm trying it again.
Old Nov 05, 2013, 05:17 PM
UAV Operator
Brazil, SP, Caraguatatuba
Joined Jun 2012
181 Posts
Awesome!

But, which is maximum linear length cut? Could it cut PU fabric for 12 x 3m Zepp?
ECODRONES is offline Find More Posts by ECODRONES
Old Nov 06, 2013, 12:09 PM
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
The table is currently 16 feet long, but easily expandable in 4ft sections. The x-axis is chain drive, so all I need to do is splice on more chain and build more table segments to extend the length. My garage is only 24ft long though, so 20ft is my hard limit on table length currently.

A 12x3m zepp would be one hell of a big RC blimp!
Old Nov 07, 2013, 09:23 AM
Joined Feb 2009
402 Posts
My new triple tool head