HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2013, 09:40 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,364 Posts
Question
Charger-side leads reversed on accident

I recently accidentally plugged in my charger-side main leads backwards (red to black, black to red) with the balance plug already connected. I didn't notice this but when I plugged my battery in I noticed it sparked... but I still plugged it in (stupid, I know). My charger caught the reverse polarity. My question is did I short the battery out (against the balance plug inputs) the second I connected the battery? Also did I get lucky that the lipo battery didn't turn into a grenade? The battery is still good and now I'm much more cautious.

The charger is an AC6.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Last edited by finguz; Sep 12, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:25 PM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
687 Posts
The Charger may be toast!
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:32 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Most chargers can handle reverse polarity as long as they are powered before you connect the battery backwards. This is why you are always supposed to plug the charger into power first before the battery.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck75 View Post
The Charger may be toast!
The charger seems fine, I've charged quite a few batteries on it since then. I was more worried about how the main leads are mapped in with the balance leads in the charger, as the balance leads were already connected when this happened.

I was way more worried about the lipo going up, like I've watch lipos do on youtube when shorted out.
Last edited by finguz; Sep 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 10:41 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
The charger seems fine, I've charged quite a few batteries on it since then. I was more worried about how the main leads are mapped in with the balance leads in the charger, as the balance leads were already connected when this happened.

I was way more worried about the lipo going up, like I've watch lipos do on youtube when shorted out.
If you had shorted anything with the balance leads they would be gone (or at least have all the insulation burned off), assuming they are not then all should be fine.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Sep 15, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,364 Posts
Good point. Thanks desertstalker.