HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:09 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
378 Posts
I`m useing a sat.rx. So I have a lead going from Srx1 connector to the Srx2/rudd port for power.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:11 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
I see now. That's a very interesting point that is not covered well in the manual or the PC application. When using a sat or S-bus you must link the Ail or Elev to the Rud input to provide power to the tail servo.

So for two sats, you would have to link the SRx1 and SRx2 boards and apply power/motor to the Motor/Elev input.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Jul 06, 2012 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Got it right now
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:13 AM
Joined Jan 2011
45 Posts
I get the gyro last month from RC711 and I test it on bench on a 450 Clone.

TX: Turnigy 9x with er9x firmware using a dsm2 module (salvage from dx7)
RX: 1 Tarot sat and 1 HK Orange sat
Cyclic Servos: Turnigy TGY 2216MG Digital
Tail Servo: Turnigy DS480 Digital.

Because I don't have 2nd SRx1 cable I use the Tarot Sat cable (from ZYX-S) and a 5V power line for Tail.
a 6V power line from a BEC feed the Cyclic Servos and SRx1 Sat thru Throttle/ESC line.

The gyro is SO EASY to setup. More easy than Tarot ZYX and CopterX CX-3X1000.
I'm waiting to finish my test on the field with ZYX and CX-3x1000 so I can put the G31 on my heli.

coming soon with updates.

Constantinos
costasp is offline Find More Posts by costasp
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:44 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience so far with this gyro, Constantinos.

Good to know the ZYX sat cable can be made to work with this gyro. Did you use a servo Y cable to feed the tail servo power?

Look forward to any update.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Jan 2011
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Did you use a servo Y cable to feed the tail servo power?

Look forward to any update.
yes
costasp is offline Find More Posts by costasp
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:35 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Interesting to see the 3GY is a little heavier than the ZYX. The 3GY weighs 14.0g without cables and 22.5g with all of the cables to connect to an Rx. The ZYX without the cables weights 10g and 18.4g with all of the cables to connect to an Rx.

I wonder what is the cause of the additional weight. Perhaps the additional hardware for the USB? The USB does have a metal socket.

Also interesting is that the 3GY requires an additional cable to connect to the Rx, as they have reserved one of the plugs on the cable with the 3 plugs.
Maybe the weight difference is the internal strip of lead for vib suppression ?This gyro doesn't seem to be affected as much.After I have hovered for awhile I get a small wobble, I think it's the headspeed coming down when it begins but it is so minor.Are you guys using the supplyed gyro tape?
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
Maybe the weight difference is the internal strip of lead for vib suppression ?This gyro doesn't seem to be affected as much.After I have hovered for awhile I get a small wobble, I think it's the headspeed coming down when it begins but it is so minor.Are you guys using the supplyed gyro tape?
Steve
Have you looked inside this gyro? Is there seriously a strip of lead?

I'm going to use the ZYX foam, like all of my other gyros. The supplied foam is a bit too thick and soft for my liking. There can be too many anomalies if the mounting is not firm enough, and I don't like using a strap.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:06 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,473 Posts
Have not looked inside but on one of the Skyhobbies video mentions that it does and I've always thought that would be a good place for improvement on fbl gyros ( internal vib suppression ).I though the supplyed tape looked to thick and soft but if that's what there using?I may try several type and check it with the software vib analysis to see what works best.I think I want a longer USB cord before I spool up my heli( like 20 feet)!
Steve
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
I just pulled mine apart. There is a metal disc in the base of the gyro. The base on it's own weighs 6g. Very impressed with the construction of the gyro. The board can't rattle in the case because it is clamped between the top and bottom case. The soldering also looks excellent. 32 bit processor and a single InvenSence MEMS sensor. I've taken some pictures:

More closeups attached.
Last edited by beenflying; Jul 06, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:28 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
I've upload the internal images in the above post.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:36 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,473 Posts
None of the circuit markings have been altered like they do on some of the gyros and the solder joints look very good!Cool , thanks for the pictures!
Steve
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:40 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
You're welcome. We use 5 meter USB extension leads at work, for our MPU emulators. I think 5 meters is close to the limit for USB.

I'd be interested to see the results of your different foam tests. Even my X5 with the MB uses ZYX foam, and unlike others, I can find no reason to put a strap on it, using this foam.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:15 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,473 Posts
I'll order some as I no you like it and I haven't found anything I think really works that great,add it to the test.I think 4 meters would do, I'm not using a laptop but my computer is near a door.When I test do you think I should have the heli on a rubber pad or hard surface, I was thinking the hard surface would give false readings?
Steve
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:47 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,969 Posts
Thanks. Just the skid nuts on a flat surface should be okay, but failing that you could sit the heli on some firm foam, like flat carpet underlay.

FYI, make sure you get some sticky remover. The ZYX foam is fun to get off. I use one called De-Solv-it.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:00 AM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
378 Posts
There are two ways to do the vibration anaysis. One is live view with cable attached and the other is load log after each flight or test run up....
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI