SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:41 PM
Canada, ON, Waterloo
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Zippy's are too fat for the lipo compartment(already tried) and are pretty heavy. Go the nanotech 300's instead.
I would've already, but they've been out of stock for as long as I've had the mig (a week).

As for lighter and higher performance, I sure don't mind performance, but 3 minutes is a pretty short time to fly as is, and I feel I could suffer a little more weight to get some longer flight times. If I get desperate I could always go for the nanotech 180's, they're cheap, guaranteed to fit, mini JST ready and in stock (in china). But again, I'd prefer longer flight times.
PawnBoy is offline Find More Posts by PawnBoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:08 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
I only run the 180s have 5 of them plus the stock 200mah
I can get 4 mins from the nano without hitting lvc

My geebee buddy made a order from hk so I got 4 more nano180s
10 batts, that is alot of flying.
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Aug 2011
36 Posts
Miniaviation

Just received 2 Miniaviations 300 and now i can fly 4:30 mintues. Flew great and I did not notice any drop in performance. They are a little price but perfect for this bird......here is where i ordered mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270980939121...84.m1439.l2649
Roly72 is offline Find More Posts by Roly72
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:24 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,377 Posts
Well did my pre flight check and used my 300 miniaviation batt and all controls were fine. First toss for maiden and elev servo stuck in up position and is making a terrible sound. Belly crashed no damage back to HH she goes. Bummer. There was no binding prior to my maiden. The servo is now stuck up, and It it is going back. I hope they will replace.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Last edited by jabsten; Jul 17, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawnBoy View Post
If I get desperate I could always go for the nanotech 180's, they're cheap, guaranteed to fit, mini JST ready and in stock (in china). But again, I'd prefer longer flight times.
Just in case you ever decide to go with Nanotech: They have two different connectors for those 180mah NanoTech. The UMX and the red JST. If you didn't change your connector on the Mig, don't forget to order the UMX packs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I only run the 180s have 5 of them plus the stock 200mah
I can get 4 mins from the nano without hitting lvc

My geebee buddy made a order from hk so I got 4 more nano180s
10 batts, that is alot of flying.
I also think more batteries is the way to go. Currently, I can EASILY fly over one hour, non stop (I can swap a battery in less than 15 seconds) with all the batteries I have, thanks particularly to those NanoTech batteries. And I never fly more than 3 minutes with ANY batteries... Better safe than sorry, since I fly mostly WOT all the time. I do think that a 4 minutes, you must be VERY close to LVC, which is not that great for a 180mah batteries unless you're doing a very good thottle management! They are cheap, but if you take good care of them, they'll last longer. Next step, you have to get one of those parallel charging cable!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,070 Posts
Any Mig 15 owners in So. Cal want to trade theirs for a full size ParkZone T-28 with a Turnigy 3536 and a Castle Creations ESC?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:02 PM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
I got my Mig over a week ago but have been busy and my 13 year old son and flying buddy was out of town. He got home today and we went out back to fly. Bound her to the Dx7s and all controls were good. We fly on grass so I pulled the gear for a belly land. Throttled her up 3/4 and gave it a toss. The little booger took off streight as an arow!!! Got her up and every control surface was perfect, not 1 click on any trim. This thing is a blast!!!!!! It will glide forever for a very long landing approach. Was testing the glide limits and doesn't turn on a dead stick glide. I was flying over 3 feet of grass so I didn't worry about hitting the ground. Gliding in nice an level and tried a little ail turn and it dropped like a rock. No harm because I was 10 feet off the ground over 3 feet of grass. I'm sure most of you knew this but I wanted to save maybe 1 UMX mig for someone who may not know and may not be over such a soft ground. First impression, I love this little plane!
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:09 PM
Kannapolis, NC
Joined Nov 2007
186 Posts
Mig even floats

Made a un-planned landing in my pond today. Was messing around got too slow stalled it and plop into the water. sat upright retrieved it shook the water off changed the battery and off again. Really a great flying plane. leaps and bounds ahead of the UMX-F-86 Sabre
dtacmed is offline Find More Posts by dtacmed
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:50 PM
ISP Supervisor
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Jan 2006
728 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacmed View Post
Made a un-planned landing in my pond today. Was messing around got too slow stalled it and plop into the water. sat upright retrieved it shook the water off changed the battery and off again. Really a great flying plane. leaps and bounds ahead of the UMX-F-86 Sabre
You mean the Great Planes Sabre? How is it better?
makg is offline Find More Posts by makg
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
Kannapolis, NC
Joined Nov 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by makg View Post
You mean the Great Planes Sabre? How is it better?
Yes I bought it with the any link module but still had to purchase another adapter to use it with the DX-7. First launch straight into the ground. Broke the wing. Repaired next flight flew about 30 feet pitched over broke wing again. Long story short several flights maybe 1 or 2 good ones. Ended up selling it all for $50.00 Mig so far I have not had 1 issue after 10-15 flights. Couple rough landings but no damage. Seems to be better foam. Great Planes Sabre just not the same quality. Will stick with Parkzone and E-Flight.
dtacmed is offline Find More Posts by dtacmed
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:22 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
816 Posts
Carefull putting her back in the box!!!

Today was a bit windy, but I thought Im going to maiden my new UMX MIG!
So I trotted down to the park and set up with both my UM T-28 and MIG.

I figured if I can get some air time with the T-28 and gauge the wind factor Ill be ok.
Anyways the T-28 was handling the wind pretty decently, I was taking off and landing with no problems.. The flight was more a kin to a sail plane though, as soon as I turned into the wind, I would basically go into a hover, so I spent a few lipos just surfing the wind, picking my moments to swoop around and perform 360 turns.

Well the wind died out a little and I figured Ill just put the T-28 away in the box and maiden the MIG.

What a great little rocket! It was handling the wind pretty well, though I was getting into the habit of dropping the throttle and just surfing the wind like I was with the T-28. A few moments the wind really dropped off and then I let her rip with a good few turns and banks. Even in the wind she was handling nicely, there was a few moments when the wind picked her up and tossed her around, but immediately she just levelled automatically.

I managed to get through the 3 stock lipos I have bought pretty quick, each flight lasting barely 2 minutes. Im thinking the lipos werent charged enough or the wind really took it out on the power, constantly fighting the wind???

Anyways all batteries spent I landed her and went to put her in the box, a sucessful maiden though rather short, Im looking forward to a real calm day when I can come off the 80% low rates I have dialed all round for her and really give it some.

Only disapointment was placing her back in the box, a gust of wind caught the lid of the box and slammed into the rear tail evelator and wing, causing it to crack and bend! F****** B**tch! After nearly having my T-28 chased down by a dumb mutt and chewed up, I had to damage her when I was putting her to bed!

So from now on I will always have the box facing downwind and away so the lid cant flip up.... Just goes to show!!
Groovechampion is offline Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:32 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Just finished adding heatsinks to the ESC FETs and the Voltage Regulator. This should take care of any temp problems. A note for anyone wanting to do this. The foam under the brick on the VR side is only 1-2mm thick ! I accidentally cut through it into the intake ducting. This might work out in my favor as now the heatsink will have a little airflow over it. Now that the hole was there I decided to make fit the heatsink while keeping the area smooth. I doubt I'll have any negative effects as the hole is before the fan.

I'll post 3S flight reports as soon as I can get out to the field and try it out. I'll also upload pics then too.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:00 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Beacon Foam-Tac

Hey guys,

I'm seeing a foam safe CA repair trend developing once again.

CA is great in certain applications but it's so brittle.
Foam-Tac to the rescue.
It cures just flexible enough to be tough.
It's simple to apply to small cracks with a tooth pick.
You can use it like a contact cement for super fast field repairs.
Awesome stuff!
I've had a bottle in my flight bag for 18 months and it's still usable.

One of the best sources that I know of...
http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...id=146:foamtac

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:03 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon View Post
Just finished adding heatsinks to the ESC FETs and the Voltage Regulator. This should take care of any temp problems. A note for anyone wanting to do this. The foam under the brick on the VR side is only 1-2mm thick ! I accidentally cut through it into the intake ducting. This might work out in my favor as now the heatsink will have a little airflow over it. Now that the hole was there I decided to make fit the heatsink while keeping the area smooth. I doubt I'll have any negative effects as the hole is before the fan.

I'll post 3S flight reports as soon as I can get out to the field and try it out. I'll also upload pics then too.

-Brian

Brian,

Looking forward to it!
Will be an excellent heatsink test.

Don't throw a rod!!

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Hey guys,

I'm seeing a foam safe CA repair trend developing once again.

CA is great in certain applications but it's so brittle.
Foam-Tac to the rescue.
It cures just flexible enough to be tough.
It's simple to apply to small cracks with a tooth pick.
You can use it like a contact cement for super fast field repairs.
Awesome stuff!
I've had a bottle in my flight bag for 18 months and it's still usable.

One of the best sources that I know of...
http://www.filadelfosrc.com/index.ph...id=146:foamtac

rc
thanks for the link RC.
just ordered some from their Ebay store.

i have a few aileron joins that are in need of something like this.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350