SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:41 PM
North Branford, CT
Joined Jun 2001
690 Posts
Interesting.... thought it might be cuz of your low humidity.... No strength differences noted?
stephen.s1 is offline Find More Posts by stephen.s1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 03:35 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
No strength difference...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:13 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
There is a product called Super Phatic by Deluxe Materials and sold by Hobby Lobby that is diluted aliphatic glue. It can be used much like CA in that it will wick into assembled joints. No need to get it as you can dilute as Jack mentioned earlier

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:31 PM
Canada, AB, Red Deer
Joined Apr 2010
312 Posts
A little tip I was given a number of years ago regarding diluting glue. If you are one of those guys who prefers aliphatics due to the strength, weight, ease of working with it etc, but you want to speed up the drying time, mix in some methyl hydrate. Methyl hydrate mixes in fine, thins out the glue so it flows and soaks in nicely, but it evaporates faily quickly and you end up with almost an "aliphatic CA" hybrid. I have used it a few times and it works pretty slick.

Now down in the desert where Jack is at you you don't need to do that, right Jack
stardustertoo is offline Find More Posts by stardustertoo
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:12 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Sorry, but work problems kept me out last night... so no pics or progress... No need to speed up drying time for me... In fact, I need to slow down... drying time... and my life!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:42 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Sitting in the Denver airport on a layover. I have made some progress, but haven't had time to post pics. I'll take quite a few when I have time later this week... I have the fuselage sides done, with the exception of the 1/4" triangle stock. I didn't get any and the LHS had only one empty slot in the balsa bin... yep... 1/4" triangle... He should have it in by the time I get back from sunny Commifornia...

Mark... If the Rangers lose the Series... it all goes in the trash can! (Just kidding )

Jack ... aka Darth Overworked and Overfaired...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
OBTW Mark... A couple of fuselage cross sections would help beginning builders immensely, as would a dihedral diagram...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:06 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,728 Posts
Jack,

I can send you some triangle stock. I have plenty.

My prediction was that it will go 7 with a bad outcome for the Cards. I don't follow baseball and am just going by gut.

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
It's cheaper for me to buy than for you to ship... and it's no problem... He'll have it by the time I get back to Amarillo...
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:00 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Sitting in the Denver airport on a layover. I have made some progress, but haven't had time to post pics. I'll take quite a few when I have time later this week... I have the fuselage sides done, with the exception of the 1/4" triangle stock. I didn't get any and the LHS had only one empty slot in the balsa bin... yep... 1/4" triangle... He should have it in by the time I get back from sunny Commifornia...

Mark... If the Rangers lose the Series... it all goes in the trash can! (Just kidding )

Jack ... aka Darth Overworked and Overfaired...

My sincerest condolences sir.
LVsoaring is online now Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Got home around 1:00 AM this morning. I will be going home... via the LHS... around 4:00 and should be able to post some stuff tonight...
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:17 AM
Joined Apr 2005
419 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the progress on the fuselage. BTW, excellent joints on the wing build!
HIR/Cer is offline Find More Posts by HIR/Cer
Old Oct 29, 2011, 03:55 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Wing Bottom Sheeting

We had a question about how to hold up the bottom sheeting when the wing has what we used to call "Phillips Entry"... It's pretty simple if you have laser-cut parts. Lay a ruler on the sheet blanks after the ribs are removed. Compensate for the sheeting thickness at the trailing edge.

A couple of pictures will tell the tale...

Well... I can't get the pictures to upload right now. I'll try later this evening. I have poor internet service... wireless only... since I moved from Clovis. I guess that's the price of living out in the counrty.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:25 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
[...] I made a template for marking the trailing edge so I could have accurate rib notches. However, we'll do this a different way for the main panels... more on that later.

Here's what the template and trailing edge look like...
Jack:

I'm late joining this thread. What did you make you yellow colored templates of way back in the post in the quote?

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Oct 29, 2011, 04:28 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
Continued

OK... let's try again... says we're up on 3G... we'll see...

For whatever reason, I cannot upload pictures right now. I'm going back out to do some more building. I'll try later...