SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:22 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2009
137 Posts
Hi,

Anybody install landing gear for this plane ???
maxyeo is offline Find More Posts by maxyeo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 12:04 AM
Ottawa, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
301 Posts
no need for landing gears for this plane.... it so easy to hand launch, and if u just put some packing tape on the bottom of the plane it will land on grass with no scratches or dents.
Fallengod is offline Find More Posts by Fallengod
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:30 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,852 Posts
Been looking at this project off and on. Turns out the Nova OSD I got was a dud also! cripes. I broke down and ordered Eagle Tree instead. A life saver - I am very impressed. And the whole Eagle Tree setups weighs about 60 grams - not a huge penalty. Still has my plane up to a nearly 500 grams total. Could only fit a 1000mah battery, and had to stick a big heavy washer in there to achieve the right CG. Glad I did - it flew pretty good. here is the maiden flight video (may be blocked in some countries):

Mini Skywalker maiden flight FPV (5 min 26 sec)

Now I just have to take a knife to it so I can fit my 2200mah 3S 8c batteries. Also might need a barometer - the OSD altitude is way off.

More pics of the build:

screw-down stab - used lightweight plastic toilet lid screw+bolt. This is so the whole plane can be flat packed for travel.

the guts - an EagleTree system:

most recent details:
C20 brushless outrunner 2050kv, 5x4 prop
blue series ESC 12A
Eagle Tree kit - OSD PRO/Logger/Stabil/GPS
some cheap cam ripped out of a security camera, 2.8 wide lens
Hugo's matched windmill/fan antennas
Foxtech 5.8/200mW vTx
L-C filter + ferrite core to vTx <- keeps video signal clean so I can run on 1 battery
DSM Orange RC Rx+sat, with a DX6i
3 micro servos: 2x ail, 1 elev
1000mah and 1300mah batteries, 3S
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 16, 2012 at 04:01 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
511 Posts
That's a flying brick. Mine weighs around 240g, complete. What most people don't realize, is that when you double a aircraft's weight, it's cruising speed increases by the square root of 2 (= 1.4), but more importantly, it's kinetic energy increases by a factor 4. That's a much increased chance of impact damage in the event of a crash.
cmanley_nl is online now Find More Posts by cmanley_nl
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:37 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,852 Posts
Definitely going to be different than a 250g build. I had serious reservations about weighting this plane up so much, but convinced to give it a try by the success than GCollins in the UK has had doing that. Glad I did, I really like how it flies. It is not a 'brick' like a helicopter is a brick! Talk about bricks - How many helis can cartwheel and survive unscathed (like i did yesterday later on)? Yet some folks do FPV with helis.

Actually it still has enough wing to float at ~25kph, as you see in the vid. More like flying a larger plane, without all the fuss and costs of a large plane. I only went over half throttle for the takeoff and a couple climbs (watch the amps guage in the vid). It also penetrates the wind wind better making it more stable - slope soarers weight their planes to achieve these characteristics. It also doesn't float much in ground effect, so a bit easier to get it down w/o flaps. Downside is less efficiency so less flying time, I guess. This plane is so small and still low mass, so it is less likely to get hurt upon landing than a 1.4m+ plane. I cartwheeled my 2nd landing - not even a scratch. But I also have a beefed-up T tail to accomodate the quick release system there. Tons of fibre tape to protect the leading edges and the fuse. Fuse is not glued together, only taped so I can access the guts easily. It is right @ 400g w/o the battery. Does everything I want an FPV plane to do except carry a GoPro - but can get by with a #16 cam for HD videos.

but I did order a 2nd Mini-S for spares
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 16, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:18 PM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Thanks!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the great thread about the Mini SkyWalker- I just clicked order on one from HobbyKing with all the electronics to go with it

Just wondering if anyone uses/used the C20 motor from HKing (this one:http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...roduct=6634)??

I'm not sure if it's the right motor for the job, but other people on HobbyKing recommended it so I took their word for it and bought it...

Cheers!
-Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Feb 17, 2012, 06:52 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,852 Posts
yes, I use the C20 - a very nice match, w a 5x3 prop and 12A ESC
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:49 AM
FPV Noob
United Kingdom, Scotland, Aberdeen
Joined Jun 2011
291 Posts
Cool, thanks mate, that's good to know that I made the right choice I ordered like 20 props so hopefully one will fit

Cheers again!
-Al
fpsazerbaijan is offline Find More Posts by fpsazerbaijan
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
My Mini SW (Brasília-Brazil)

My Mini SW (Brasília-Brazil)

Name: Photo 19-01-12 17 38 08.jpg
Views: 244
Size: 245.8 KB
Description:

Name: Photo 22-02-12 15 00 11.jpg
Views: 258
Size: 304.1 KB
Description:

Name: Photo 22-02-12 15 00 43.jpg
Views: 370
Size: 300.1 KB
Description:

Name: Photo 22-02-12 15 43 54.jpg
Views: 280
Size: 135.4 KB
Description:
rctaveira is offline Find More Posts by rctaveira
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:40 AM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
511 Posts
mini-Skywalker maiden, build, ideas, photos

I maidened my mini-Skywalker today after waiting a long time for a break in the weather. It flew very nice and stable. I thought the wide angle lens from FPVHobby would be too wide, but my slow and light (240g) mini-Skywalker it's alright. Unfortunately I had a little accident. At a range of about 150m, the AR500 RX decided to go into failsafe causing the plane to glide into the ground. The impact was minor. The only damage was a broken rudder horn pin (didn't expect that), and a torn off stabilizer with the tear running though the very thin foam where the elevator servo is meant to be (fully expected that beforehand). To fix the tail now, I'll probably stick some carbon rods in there. If I had some EPO foam lying around, I'ld use that to fill in the servo gap in the tail. For now I just filled them with 3mm depron. Finding a new micro rudder horn will be more of a challenge I think.

I've only used the AR500 receiver twice ever, and both times I lost control. The previous time was with a 3.6m glider in a turn before landing, but then I was able to gain control just in time to save it. I have strong doubts now about the reliability of this RX now. I think I'm going to switch to FrSky or Multiplex.

There are 2 design flaws in this model, one being the exceptionally weak tail construction which is bound to break in the slightest of accidents (as it did), and the other is the motor mount being positioned further back than necessary without any reason which isn't helpful on a plane that already tends to be tail heavy.

I wanted to build it as light as possible in order to do some slow relaxed flying and have minor damage if I crashed it. In order to avoid the model ending up tail heavy and having to be balanced with a heavy battery, I placed the rudder and elevator servo's inside the fuselage below the CG and cut 13mm of unnecessary foam off of the motor mount which in effect moves the motor 13mm forward. The completed model balances nicely on the servo wire ducts with the 850mah 2S lipo a 15mm behind the front of the cockpit.

I've added some photo's with comments showing the build and the damage.
The motor is a Turnigy 2211-2300kv with a 5x4 propeller. It's actually overkill for the current prop, battery, and model, so I'm going to swap it for a 10g 18-11 2000kv motor when it arrives and also use an even smaller main battery.

Edit: I think this plane will be more robust with a (removable) V-tail. I'll consider that for my next purchase. T-tails suck construction-wise and placing a stabilizer in direct airflow from a pusher prop isn't a smart idea either.
Last edited by cmanley_nl; Feb 27, 2012 at 04:02 PM. Reason: V-tail idea
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
20 Posts
Mini skywalker

Hi guys i have just got the mini skywalker and at the moment i love it didn't like the fact that there was no Manuel but never mind i worked my way through it. I have a video some videos of it on my youtube channel if you would like to take a look. a rate and subscribe would also be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zip187?feature=mhee

but i would like to say it was this forum that persuaded me to get one
zip187 is offline Find More Posts by zip187
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:51 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,852 Posts
congratz on the project, cManley!

I am still amazed at how you got it down to 250gm! Maybe my C20 motor/spinner is just too heavy?

I stripped out my MiniS recently. I put in a tiny 4 gram servo on the tail. I eliminated my nylon bolt on tail to save more weight from the tail. But the thing is still very tail heavy! I downsized the FPV kit to a 32 gram all-in-one FPV pod I made (32g incl 1S battery, windmill antenna and Jelly lens). w/o battery is is now under 300g. I ended up putting a 8C 2200 3S battery to balance and fly it on the weekend, with weight approaching 400 grams. It did not fly so well, but that might have been the 5x3 prop I chose (prev I used a 6x4 with success). I am tempted to extend the nose of the plane to balance it with a lighter battery.

but I also have a new MiniS on the way. Might try a new fuselage with not so much glue and tape all over it!

I recommend using the Orange RC receiver for range, reliability and price. I always put on a satellite also. Can remove the case to save weight, I understand.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:45 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
511 Posts
@BCSaltchucker
Do you have a photo of your FPV pod just for ideas?
The keys to low weight on the mini-Skywalker are a low battery pack weight, which requires a low motor and prop weight, and not using servos in the tail in order to keep it balanced. I even replaced my motor spinner with a rubber band to move the CG forward. In the mean time, I've mounted a 10g 18-11 motor with 6x3 prop and I've put a new (but unfortunately heavy) 25g Multiplex MLINK diversity receiver with telemetry in it because I don't trust Spektrum and DSM2 right now. I'll see if my trust can be earned if others fly good ranges with Spektrum or clones. Orange is very cheap, but if I'm going to go cheap, then I think I'm going to take the FrSky route instead, since it has telemetry and a better reputation.

Another thing I'm going to do is use the HK Super Simple OSD because I found out it can measure 1S battery voltage as long as it's powered by another higher voltage battery (i.e. the main battery pack). It's a cheap safety investment.

If you're daring, then you can attempt a twin engine mod (that was my initial plan until I found out I could just barely get the balance right the way I built it), or you can make it a V-tail with the servo's in the fuselage.
Last edited by cmanley_nl; Mar 07, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:32 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,852 Posts
This is the FPV pod. Held on with velcro and a zip tie to quickly move between planes.
- 300mah 1S battery
- FPVHOBBY 200mW 5.8 vTx
- RP-SMA connectors
- TrueRC windmill CP antenna
- 3 gram camera
- Jelly lens
- wood and hot glue.
- I put a connector on to run to the HK Supersimple OSD inside the plane. The three wires are: ground, 1S battery positive, video. But I do get motor interference through the OSD ground, so I have to add a ferrite choke to the ground wire next at the OSD.

This is very tiny 1.7g servo - more like on a micro size plane. I glued the stab on. Maybe I should remove the plastic nut and the servo connectors also to reduce tail weight?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...c_0_075kg.html

edit:

took your advice hammel: put on a tiny lightweight prop saver. That moved the CG ahead several mm, enough to downsize to a lightweight 1000mah battery in the nose - though still needed a touch of extra ballast. Now I can fly at about 390 grams.

Did some flying yesterday - the plane flew fantastically! Still not very capable aerobatically, but tons of fun and very easy to, stow in the car and go with just the AIO goggles alone.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Mar 09, 2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
Unregistered User
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
511 Posts
Mini Skywalker video with micro FPV gear

I flew my Mini Skywalker today and this time I didn't forget to record the video. It was quite windy, enough to be able to fly with zero ground speed. In anycase you can see some rolls, loops, inverted flight, and snap rolls in this video:
Mini Skywalker FPV on a windy day, with some basic aerobatics (8 min 48 sec)

I'm using a 18-11 2000kv motor now with 6x3 prop, but the 5x4 prop is better balanced and quieter, so I'll try that again next time.
This time, since it was windy, I used a larger 1000mah 2S lipo. I have no OSD installed yet, so I can't tell my max possible flight time, but I flew 26 minutes and ended up with 7.8V, so it's more than enough capacity.
I also ditched my rubbish AR500 receiver and replaced it with a relatively large Multiplex MLINK DR-7 receiver (dual receiver+antennae and telemetry). This is good for monitoring RC link quality which in this video was always 100%.
All up weight in this configuration is now 260g.

Even though the 6x3 prop clears the fuselage by about 3mm, I ended up with some scratches in the foam. That indicates to me that the front of the wing must have lifted during the aerobatics. Next time I'll use more that just 2 rubber bands to hold the wings on.

P.S. FPVHobby has been unresponsive for 2 weeks already. Phoning, mailing, and submitting contact forms results in nothing. Strangely, when I submitted a Paypal dispute after a week, Adnan responded within minutes to the dispute, but after that it was complete silence again. It's not the way I would treat customers. If there are someg personal problems going on or whatever, then even a vague message on the website explaining that there is a contact/order lag will be better than nothing at all.
Last edited by cmanley_nl; Mar 12, 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: better quality video