Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by BillKuhn
Perfect Storm
United States, CT, New Hartford
Joined Mar 2016
584 Posts
Discussion
Anyone every thought of doing a roll up jib?

Can it be done. ? Like real sail boats? Can it be done? Is it done? Curiosity killing the cat
BillKuhn is online now Find More Posts by BillKuhn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by DLord
United States, FL, Cocoa Beach
Joined Jan 2010
1,283 Posts
I think the company's name is "Stockmaritime"- they're a German RC sailboat company . I think they offer a roller furling jib and a sort of roller furling asymmetrical spinnaker.

Here is one of their models with a roller furling asymmetrical spinnaker-don't know whether or not they sell the roller furling gear separately or not: http://www.stockmaritime.com/premium...l=8&lang=en_GB
DLord is offline Find More Posts by DLord
Last edited by DLord; Jun 23, 2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 03:50 PM
Perfect Storm
Joined Mar 2016
584 Posts
Sent them an email D Lord. Will see. I probably can't afford it anyway. But thank you very nice sight. Huge money for boats. They are beautiful though.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 03:53 PM
Perfect Storm
Joined Mar 2016
584 Posts
Wrong post

Sorry miss post
Last edited by BillKuhn; Jun 23, 2016 at 05:06 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by Stephen Vick
Modeler/ Historian
United States, TX, San Angelo
Joined Sep 2015
62 Posts
The Robbie Atlantis Schooner had a roller furling Genoa Jib option. It was actually very simple.... The leading edge of the jib slides into an extruded aluminum section (commonly used as masts) which is connected via a hook and eye bolt to a geared motor under the deck. Because the bow section is so narrow, the motor is connected via a chain drive. Sorry, no pics, but a web search would probably turn up something. I think there exists a You-Tube video which illustrates it very well. I used a constant rotation servo on mine.
Stephen Vick is online now Find More Posts by Stephen Vick
Old Jun 24, 2016, 02:15 AM
Find More Posts by chumphon
Thailand, จ.ประจวบคีรีขันธ์, Tambon Ao Noi
Joined Feb 2013
135 Posts
Hi Bill
Stockmaritime

yes for me the best boats out there

i have the 3x1 an amazing sailboat in all weathers http://www.stockmaritime.com/premium...l=2&lang=en_GB

But made in Germany so not cheap but quality!
chumphon is offline Find More Posts by chumphon
Old Jun 24, 2016, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by pwallace
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Feb 2015
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKuhn View Post
Can it be done. ? Like real sail boats? Can it be done? Is it done? Curiosity killing the cat
Weight, cost, complexity. Our toy sailboats have a bunch of advantages like being able to simply pull the mast for storage or construct A/B/C rigs so you just change the rig with conditions vs making what you have adjustable at added expense.

The fractional Bermuda rig I am running is weird because there is no forestay in the traditional sense but rather a line runs down the jib to a pole. The pole then has a pivot about 1/4 the was back so that the whole thing kicks out to run with the wind. If you went with a roller you loose the pivot and the jib boom. You loose a control line (i.e. The line on the jib boom that controls shape in addition to the shearing line). So you might end up with a more realistic boat but loose some automatic adjustments. You might have to use actual sailing methods too.
pwallace is offline Find More Posts by pwallace
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:09 PM
Find More Posts by Crunchy Frog
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Oct 2012
275 Posts
In RC sailing you probably don't ever need to have a jib on a furler. An asymmetrical spinnaker on a furler makes some sense, as long as you aren't overpowered with that much sail area.
Crunchy Frog is online now Find More Posts by Crunchy Frog