Old Jun 12, 2016, 05:29 AM
Find More Posts by jakeaheli
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2015
393 Posts
Discussion
3D printer for heli parts?

Was just wondering today does anyone use a 3D printer to print plastic heli parts / spares for your helis.

Is this possible with low end 3D printers? I am quite interested in looking into this for the future.
You know scanning your 230s main gear or blades and then making a 3D print out of it incase you crash.

Curious to know and learn more. Also wondering do you save $$ in the long run

Jake
jakeaheli is offline Find More Posts by jakeaheli
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2016, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by Steve_
Venting Nowlege
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
5,645 Posts
People have been doing it for years to replace non-critical parts.

I don't know about blades and gears though.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
Old Jun 12, 2016, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by rotorist
Registered Mike Visitor
Joined Aug 2014
613 Posts
Printed 300 size helicopter, check this out.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=698039

rotorist.
rotorist is offline Find More Posts by rotorist
Old Jun 12, 2016, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by jakeaheli
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2015
393 Posts
Wow very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I was watching some vids on youtube regarding 3D printing. Steep learning curve.
I wonder if it be cheaper to just to into to a local 3D printing shop to get parts printed.
jakeaheli is offline Find More Posts by jakeaheli
Old Jun 13, 2016, 03:57 AM
Find More Posts by IM back!
Joined Dec 2009
294 Posts
For a stock heli 3d FDM printed parts are poor/ impossible depending on the part. but it is possible to design a heli with 3d printing in mind. i developed a WNCPX frame to be printed and laser cut (now milled) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2226582.
since i lost my WNCPX i am now in the process of designing a multi wii based 100 sized heli to be cnc milled and printed.

FDM printed parts can only have a simularly strong strength to weight ratio to injection molded parts if they are designed to maximise the second moment of area in ways that are impossible with injection molding. If you have a SLA machine you will have more luck makeing stock parts, but it wont be cost effective.
IM back! is offline Find More Posts by IM back!
Last edited by IM back!; Jun 13, 2016 at 04:03 AM.