Shop our Airplanes Products Shop our Surface Products
Old May 05, 2016, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by FolsomFlyer
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2015
166 Posts
Discussion
Theoretically, Fastest Freewing EDF

Hello RCG Forums! So I am at the point where I am getting ready to save for another R/C plane and I am looking at EDF jets. I'll get straight to the chase :

Theoretically, with Upgrades and top batteries, What would the fastest Freewing EDF jet out of the listed?

Freewing F-14 Tomcat 2x80mm

Freewing F-16 Falcon 90mm

Freewing F-15 Eagle 90mm

Freewing F-18 Hornet 90mm

Freewing F-5 Tiger II 80mm

So I was thinking the F-16 or F-14 would be fastest because the F-16 has pretty straight in take, single exhaust...ect. I thought the F-14 would be pretty fast because its almost the same size as the F-16 but has 2 80mm EDFs. Would do you guys think?

( I am aware of Freewings Stinger )
FolsomFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FolsomFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2016, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by Chris True
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
10,091 Posts
None of them are particularly fast, 100ish + or - 5 mph. If you went to the hotter inrunner fan the F5 or Mirage would be faster than the others.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old May 05, 2016, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
9,899 Posts
Without a doubt, of those listed, the F-5 with the inrunner, would be the fastest. But like Chris said, not particularly fast in its stock condition. If you want fast, build up a Habu 32, with a hot 80mm from Efflux RC. Then you'll have fast.
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
Old May 05, 2016, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife Liddle View Post
Without a doubt, of those listed, the F-5 with the inrunner, would be the fastest. But like Chris said, not particularly fast in its stock condition. If you want fast, build up a Habu 32, with a hot 80mm from Efflux RC. Then you'll have fast.
Yup, get a hold of Gary @ Efflux-- he knows his stuff.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 05, 2016, 08:27 PM
Joined May 2015
166 Posts
Yeah but I said I am aware other fast aircraft exist. The Habu 32 is way out of my price range and I was looking for something a little bigger. I guess 100mph is fast for them.

I have narrowed my choices down to the :

F-14
F-15
F-16

I feel like the F-16 would be fastest but I've been told the F-14 has a faster top speed. I can't really decide.
Old May 06, 2016, 01:18 AM
Joined Dec 2008
8,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolsomFlyer View Post
Yeah but I said I am aware other fast aircraft exist. The Habu 32 is way out of my price range and I was looking for something a little bigger. I guess 100mph is fast for them.

F-14
F-15
F-16

I feel like the F-16 would be fastest but I've been told the F-14 has a faster top speed. I can't really decide.
If you want to go fast go fast, Don't be so Cheap Or don't waste you money!
Old May 06, 2016, 01:33 AM
Joined May 2015
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolerByTheLake View Post
If you want to go fast go fast, Don't be so Cheap Or don't waste you money!
What does that even mean? Those aren't even cheap....
Old May 06, 2016, 02:09 AM
Joined Dec 2008
8,057 Posts
Quote:
What does that even mean? Those aren't even cheap....
guess that's relative to your finances .. Cheap- those are a drop in the bucket-- I don't know , my Dynamax fan and motor cost more than most of them..-

Build a composite plane for -perhaps upwards of $3000.00 +, and I have several to build..
My scratch built Scorpion is over 1300.00-- Hell the custom ducting was close to $200..00 So don''t complain.

And I did look at your attachments on you blog page--so you know what I'm talking about
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; May 06, 2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old May 06, 2016, 09:22 AM
Joined May 2015
166 Posts
Well I'm pretty sure to most people $600-$800 isn't cheap, that's a saving. Not everyone has the money or time to spend $3000 on a turbine airccraft. But thank you for sharing how cheap those are to you and his much you essily spend...

Back to the topic
Old May 06, 2016, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
5,952 Posts
No question the smaller models will appear faster but the F14 is fast and its large size is deceptive.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old May 06, 2016, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by Chris True
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
10,091 Posts
Quote:

F-14
F-15
F-16

Have not flown or seen the F-14. I've seen the 16 fly and personally flown the 15. They both do very well, I doubt there is 5 mph difference in the top speed of either so pick the one you like better. They are both a little quirky in there handling, the 15 MUST have a little power carried on final or it'll splat when you try to flare .

The 14 is pretty complex and a lot to manage, are you a very experienced flyer? It's also a bigger investment to risk.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old May 06, 2016, 10:00 AM
Joined May 2015
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
No question the smaller models will appear faster but the F14 is fast and its large size is deceptive.
Well I did some research and the F-15 weighs about 3100 flying weight. The F-16 weighs about 3600 grams flying weight and the F-14 weighs about 4100 grams without battery. The F-15 is slightly smaller then them but I believe has a large area then the F-16. So I feel like the F-15 could be the fastest but then again the others could be faster with momentum.
Old May 06, 2016, 10:17 AM
Find More Posts by 4stripes
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
5,952 Posts
Your research is off regarding "flying weight" for the F15. That is empty weight.
Their bogus claim is what got me to buy it in the first place but then I discovered the truth.
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
Old May 06, 2016, 10:22 AM
Joined May 2015
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Your research is off regarding "flying weight" for the F15. That is empty weight.
Their bogus claim is what got me to buy it in the first place but then I discovered the truth.
So they have the F-14 and F-15 weights without battery but the F-16 weight with? The ridiculous...
Old May 06, 2016, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by nighthawk0077
Canada, ON, Vaughan
Joined Oct 2009
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Well I'm pretty sure to most people $600-$800 isn't cheap, that's a saving. Not everyone has the money or time to spend $3000 on a turbine airccraft. But thank you for sharing how cheap those are to you and his much you essily spend...

Back to the topic
Yup, and for $600-$800 you can get yourself a fairly nice H32/H32x in the classifieds, some with hopped up parts already installed. With a good medium performance setup that will net you 140-150mph. This being the EDF forum, you will get a lot of folks trying to steer you that way

As far as one of those freewing foamies, as someone already mentioned, the F4 or Mirage on inrunner is the way to go for all out speed, (I believe they top out at 120mph) however keep in mind none of them are really designed to be rocketships.
nighthawk0077 is offline Find More Posts by nighthawk0077