Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:31 AM
Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,791 Posts
Discussion
FlyFly ASK-21

Anyone ordered or received one of these yet? I emailed the vendor to check if they have stock but haven't had a reply

http://www.hobby88.com/shop/product_...d906ce7ff1cc68
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Aug 23, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:03 AM
Find More Posts by salisbug
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
Anyone ordered or received one of these yet? I emailed the vendor to check if they have stock but haven't had a reply

http://www.hobby88.com/shop/product_...d906ce7ff1cc68
Hey Roger,

Hobby88 must have stock 'coz I got mine from them this week. Mandy from H88 said there was a 10 day delay from when they were listed.

Not a bad piece of kit for less than $200 at my door.

Glenn
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:04 AM
Find More Posts by salisbug
I failed linkage geometry
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
4,354 Posts
Although I got the plain one - not the Air Cadet version
salisbug is offline Find More Posts by salisbug
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:23 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,791 Posts
Keep us posted on your progress please Glenn. One question, the spec says flaps but I can't see them on the pic. Has it got flaps?

I think the only difference between yours and the one I posted is in the colour scheme (for which you pay $10US) but I think that's my personal preference.

I'm guessing at $200 (unless you're talking Australian $) you paid for EMS? - think I'll take my chance with normal airmail

EDIT - item ordered - so we'll see how we go.....?
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Aug 13, 2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:48 AM
Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
It really shouldn't have flaps... the K21 is an unflapped glider.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:09 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,791 Posts
You're right, but then again it should have dive brakes if it was true scale and it doesn't have those.

My purchase may be shortlived - had an enigmatic email from Mandy which suggests that although the system has accepted my order based on the table rate for shipping (about $28) it has to come by EMS. Have requested clarification because EMS at $90 represents a 70% uplift on the list price and is a no-no - I'll cancel if that turns out to be the case.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 06:37 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,791 Posts
Not doing too well so far - either got to pay another $28 for ordinary airmail because their system shows the wrong price for airmail, or a further $60+ to upgrade to EMS or take a hit of about $14 on my PayPal for a refund. Their EMS is based on a 6.3 Kg package. I've asked why Albert at Aerofever can send me a similar sized FlyFly ASW 28 in a 3.3 kg package (and Albert packs his stuff well) or even a FlyFly 3m Condor in a 4.3 Kg package, both of which come out well below Hobby88's EMS cost

I'm hoping they can come back to me with a way out.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,555 Posts
Flaps-ask 21.

YES,the ask 21 does have flaps,and l wish my top-gun ASW 28 came with flaps,but it did not.I installed cmpro spoilers in the wings instead,as my asw 28 is unpowered -slope only model.Anyway,both these new releases-the ask 21 and fox both look good value,and both have flaps fitted already.regards damo
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:23 AM
Find More Posts by socommk23
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
423 Posts
im not sure about the fly fly model but the full size ask21 most certainly does NOT have flaps. i fly one almost every weekend. and when im not, im flying my rodel model 4.2meter ask21.
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:15 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,791 Posts
Latest update is that my ASK-21 has been despatched by EMS but at a preferential rate after I'd been able to prove that their automatic checkout system wasn't working properly. However, and disappointingly for others, and for their own business, 88hobby still appear to be charging EMS (to the UK at least) at $91.20 based upon a shipping weight of 6.3kg.

I've given them evidence that Albert at Aerofever and HobbyCity, both also in Hong Kong, manage to ship not only the FlyFly ASW28 which has a flying weight of 1400g, (same as the non electric ASK-21) but also the Salto which has a flying weight of 1800g for a shipped weight of about 4Kg, which reduces the EMS cost by $30 or 33%.

I've had plenty from both and never had a problem with the quality or stoutness of their packing.

I'll update this thread when the ASK-21 arrives, but in the meantime I'd encourage others to be wary of the shipping charges here and to try and cut their own deal before placing the order. 88Hobby is, after all, the main dealer for FlyFly in Hong Kong, and I'm certainly not complaining about the value of the product itself, which I think is outstanding.

I'm left wondering whether they are actually shipping them or they're getting them despatched direct from the factory. Either way, if they want to compete, they really need to do something about the shipping costs. When you're selling something for $130, charging $90 for shipping is likely to be discouraging, particularly if someone else can ship it from the same city for $60
Old Aug 22, 2010, 07:05 AM
Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,555 Posts
Roger-youre right,freight does vary considerably.I only noticed recently that hobby88.com, can deliver to australia for $30,by ems best way,and $117 for ems speedpost.This was for the top gun DG808S.Apparently theres not much difference in delivery times between the two,and its the same freight carrier also-EMS.It certainly pays to do your homework when it comes to freight charges.Look forward to seeing the ask 21,the fox is the only new release l have seen recently.Make sure you take some photos of it,when it arrives.Regards damo
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
Old Aug 23, 2010, 04:30 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,791 Posts
Well, Postie turned up this morning with a big box. Despatched on the 19th so that's five days to the UK from HK but given that two were week-end I'd have to say EMS met their delivery promise with bells on.

The first thing I did, given the discussion I'd had with 88Hobby about shipping weight and cost thereof, was to enter the big box for the champ's weigh-in and as you can see it comes in at 4kg - some distance from the 6.3Kg that 88Hobby have on their website. I'll write to Mandy about this because it's dumb for 88Hobby to lose themselves sales by charging more for the shipping than they need to. It was interesting, too, that the safety stickers on the box were FlyFlyHobby stickers, not 88Hobby stickers, making me wonder again who was actually shipping it.

First impressions are big box, well packed - no shipping damage, pleased to see that the wing joiner is a 10mm carbon rod - FlyFly have come a long way since they thought they could get away with 6mm tube(?) on the DG1000. Structure inside looks good and while it's only subjective I'd like to think the fuz feels stiffer than my other FlyFly birds.

Only thing that is giving me mild heartburn at the moment is that nosewheel. Given my well established and widely recognised ability to deliver landings that would be characterised as "drop hammer" rather than "greaser" I'm clearly going to have to polish my landings - hopefully before I put the nosewheel into the fuz. Will investigate whether I can fit some kind of shock absorber.

And yes, whether or not the real ASK-21 has flaps, this one does. That might help my landings! I'll post more as the build progresses.
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Aug 23, 2010 at 04:47 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:46 PM
Find More Posts by TRISME
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
8,431 Posts
No bench fly?
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Aug 25, 2010, 04:52 AM
Find More Posts by socommk23
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010