HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:11 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Dec 2014
15 Posts
Discussion
3s lipo balance lead melted

Hi guys,
I have had a little accident. I plugged the balance lead of one of 3s lipo into the 4s plug of the paraboard. This lead and the one from the other battery that was connected (correctly) to the board melted and produced a bit of smoke.
Should I discard or try to fix these 2 batteries?
I will appreciate any help
Thanks in advance
Rod
Multiplo is offline Find More Posts by Multiplo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2015, 02:16 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,472 Posts
You're going to hear "Go ahead and use them" and "I'd toss them".

My vote, toss them.
Every pack I've shorted has gone to pot soon afterwards so why fool around with them, not to mention the question of safety.

Your call....
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 22, 2015, 03:57 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
982 Posts
I agree with Hoppy. Sure you could initially save a few dollars however, if the battery fails while airborne..........
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:46 PM
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Feb 2006
772 Posts
Also, take the back off the paraboard and make sure the leads inside are still intact. Usually, if you short the balance leads it also takes out the internal leads. Luckily, they are easily repaired with wire or leads clipped from small resistors.

Don't ask how I know this....

Don
DonA is offline Find More Posts by DonA
Old Mar 22, 2015, 04:53 PM
Jaketheone46
United States, KY, Florence
Joined Nov 2014
349 Posts
This would really suck so bad being it involved 2 packs I recently did the same thing basically only I was using multimeter leads testing voltage and crossed up something trying to move to fast it stressed me out so bad I could only imagine 2 packs. I am currently only using it as a surface pack.
Jaketheone46 is online now Find More Posts by Jaketheone46
Old Mar 22, 2015, 05:57 PM
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Dec 2014
15 Posts
Looks like I am taking them to the recycle center
Multiplo is offline Find More Posts by Multiplo