HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2015, 02:19 PM
Who let the dogs out?
Pontefract, Yorkshire, UK
Joined Jul 2007
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerwin50 View Post
Has anyone had an issue with frying the module by holding the bind button too long. I seem to of fried mine by doing that
Holding the bind button for an extended time is used to change the guid. All your receivers will need rebinding as the module is no longer using the guid that your receivers have stored.
phil_g is offline Find More Posts by phil_g
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2015, 03:15 PM
Bern, Switzerland
Joined Jun 2010
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
That "Microlite" receiver you linked to is not an original Spektrum receiver. Being a "compatible" it does work with OEM Spektrum equipment like the DX4e and LP4DSM. It seems the problem exists when you try to use it with another "compatible" product as the ORX DSM2/DSMX module. That's a tough one to troubleshoot.

Ivan
Your post was very helpful at least. I stopped tinkering around with that receiver and tried to get the Nano QX working with the Orange module.
Reflashed for TAER configuration, then i had to reverse two servos and subtrim the throttle channel. Now Nano QX is working all right with the Optic 6.
Eventually it is my wish to control also a UMX Radian and later maybe the Whipit DLG. At this point i believe this would be not a problem anymore.
The nanolite receiver works fine with the DX4e, so maybe i can use them together occasionally.
ConEx is online now Find More Posts by ConEx
Old Mar 03, 2015, 07:15 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,596 Posts
Here's what needs to be done to match any of the open source firmware transmitters to Spektrum BNF models.

1. The channel order MUST be set to TAER to match the Spektrum order. In particular, throttle is always on channel 1.

2. All channels (1 to 6) MUST be set to 80% travel limits. Set all mix weights to 100% and limit throw to 80% by using the servos (limits) page. (Have you noticed the dire warning in the instructions about exceeding 100% with a Spektrum transmitter? Well for open source firmware that means 80% as 100% for open source equals 125% for Spektrum.) The one exception is the low throttle limit, which should probably set to -100 to emulate low throttle plus low trim on a DX5e; this will ensure arming of the ESC.

3. Aileron and Rudder must be reversed to match Spektrum control directions. Throttle and elevator should work correctly if no reversed.

4. Channel 5 should be set up on a three position switch giving -100, 0, +100. This is needed if you fly models with some AS3X technology, such as the UMX AS3Xtra.

5. Channel 6 should be set up on a two position momentary switch giving -100 for off and +100 for on. This will serve as the panic button for a SAFE technology model, RTH button for a QX2, etc.

6. The protocol setting for the Orange module MUST be PPM. The rest of the RF settings can be default.

7. Setup D/R at 100% and 70% to match the DX5e. You may want to adjust later but this is a good starting point. You may also want to add 20% or so expo. It's usually most convenient to control A, E and R rates from a single switch.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Mar 08, 2015, 12:12 PM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Here's what needs to be done to match any of the open source firmware transmitters to Spektrum BNF models.

1. The channel order MUST be set to TAER to match the Spektrum order. In particular, throttle is always on channel 1.

2. All channels (1 to 6) MUST be set to 80% travel limits. Set all mix weights to 100% and limit throw to 80% by using the servos (limits) page. (Have you noticed the dire warning in the instructions about exceeding 100% with a Spektrum transmitter? Well for open source firmware that means 80% as 100% for open source equals 125% for Spektrum.) The one exception is the low throttle limit, which should probably set to -100 to emulate low throttle plus low trim on a DX5e; this will ensure arming of the ESC.

3. Aileron and Rudder must be reversed to match Spektrum control directions. Throttle and elevator should work correctly if no reversed.

4. Channel 5 should be set up on a three position switch giving -100, 0, +100. This is needed if you fly models with some AS3X technology, such as the UMX AS3Xtra.

5. Channel 6 should be set up on a two position momentary switch giving -100 for off and +100 for on. This will serve as the panic button for a SAFE technology model, RTH button for a QX2, etc.

6. The protocol setting for the Orange module MUST be PPM. The rest of the RF settings can be default.

7. Setup D/R at 100% and 70% to match the DX5e. You may want to adjust later but this is a good starting point. You may also want to add 20% or so expo. It's usually most convenient to control A, E and R rates from a single switch.
These are great tips! I'm off to create a template. I've been keeping the max travel and reducing the mix. Only spektrum stuff I have left is micro stuff. So this will work well as a template.
wilanz is offline Find More Posts by wilanz
Old Mar 08, 2015, 01:33 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilanz View Post
These are great tips! I'm off to create a template. I've been keeping the max travel and reducing the mix. Only spektrum stuff I have left is micro stuff. So this will work well as a template.
You can set weight to 80% instead of setting limits to that value. It will have the same effect, but it's generally considered better practice to use limits.

You may find that some UMX models are expecting a two-position switch on channel 5. It's mainly the SAFE technology models and quads that use the three-position on channel 5.
Old Mar 09, 2015, 12:29 AM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
BNF Similar issues Taranis+

Quote:

I've been following along here for the last week and had some glitchy issues with my HH BNF Sport Cub this weekend paired with the Orange in the Taranis x9d PLUS+ I believe it to be what you mentioned about exceeding 100% "Spektrum". @Daedalus66 would you help me clarify a bit more please on my setup ? I'm not sure I'm completely understanding the 100%=125% specifically based on your instruction.

1. My 4 "inputs" are TAER

2. My "Mixes" page shows 100% across the board wit0h a -100% set to a switch to disable the throttle and CH5/CH6 at 100% as well. I've setup the "Servos" page to Throttle -100% min and 80% max. Ail, Ele, Rud CH5 (SAFE MODE) and CH 6 (Panic) to -80% min and 80% max.

3. Check

4. When I simulate this I'm getting 80% +/- at full range. Should it be seeing 100% +/-?

5. Same as 4

6. I'm set to PPM, Start CH1, Channels 6, Frame Length 22.5, Polarity Positive, PPM delay 300us

7. Haven't messed with D/R or expo yet.

Thank you
notadrone is offline Find More Posts by notadrone
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:55 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notadrone View Post
I've been following along here for the last week and had some glitchy issues with my HH BNF Sport Cub this weekend paired with the Orange in the Taranis x9d PLUS+ I believe it to be what you mentioned about exceeding 100% "Spektrum". @Daedalus66 would you help me clarify a bit more please on my setup ? I'm not sure I'm completely understanding the 100%=125% specifically based on your instruction.
A Spektrum radio set to 100% has a pulse width range from 1100usec to 1900usec (400 each way from center). A Taranis set to 100% has a range from 988usec to 2012usec (round it off to 1000 to 2000 and it's 500 each way from center). So to get the Taranis to produce a pulse width range from 1100 to 1900 (which the BNF models expect) you have to set limits to 80%. The exception is low throttle, where you want -125% in Spektrum terms (1000usec) to equal the effect of low throttle with low trim in order to ensure that the ESC arms reliably.

So 100% Taranis = 125% Spektrum
and 100% Spektrum = 80% Taranis.

Your other points:

1 to 3. correct.

4 and 5. You should indeed be seeing 80% on the Taranis screen. See above.

6. Sounds OK, but I would leave the number of channels set at 8. There's just no advantage in changing the default except in a few special cases.

7. That challenge is yet to come, eh?

Does that about do it? You seem to have everything right.

You mentioned "glitchy issues" but didn't explain. Is there some other problem?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 08:33 AM
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Great! I'm glad I'm on the right track. Thanks for your reply.

I'll set the channels back to 8.

Yeah I looked on YouTube about the D/R (that's dual rates for those that need to look it up like I did) and Expo (exponential) and it's not complicated. I'm just a noob and need to learn and try, which is why I'm enjoying this hobby so much.

Glitchy? Yeah, I'm getting a loss of communication/response from the aircraft. I had this verified by another guy who has been doing this for a LONG time. We've been indoor/Gym flying with the local club and the worst is when out of the left hand pattern the A/C is pointed at me it seems like I cannot control it for a brief moment, no input. SAFE Easy/Medium/Expert doesn't' seem to matter. The response loss is just long enough to make a newbie like me really nervous and crash more than I would have expected. I fly it GREAT with absolutely no crashes or uncertainty with a cheap Spektrum 5e controller I'm borrowing.

I also bough a Blade Nano QX and that should be arriving on my doorstep today.

I'll do another test flight maybe tonight and if I still have issues, I'll post some screenshots of the different configuration pages. It just seemed like there were at least 3 places to set that 80% and I wanted to make sure I did it right before I split my airplane in two.
notadrone is offline Find More Posts by notadrone
Old Mar 12, 2015, 09:32 AM
United States, FL, Stuart
Joined Apr 2013
701 Posts
Quote:
You can set weight to 80% instead of setting limits to that value. It will have the same effect, but it's generally considered better practice to use limits.

You may find that some UMX models are expecting a two-position switch on channel 5. It's mainly the SAFE technology models and quads that use the three-position on channel 5.

Most of the settings worked great. I flew a BNF UMX Icon A5. The throttle minimum having a Travel setting of 100% gave a dead spot on the low end. I think that needs to be at 80%. I thought maybe it was a esc calibration issue but that would just recalibrate to the lower value.

Everything else worked nicely. I'll try my other micros this week. They have been flying a little erratic and needing more expo. I think these lower Travel settings will help get them back under control.
wilanz is offline Find More Posts by wilanz
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:06 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
17,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilanz View Post
Most of the settings worked great. I flew a BNF UMX Icon A5. The throttle minimum having a Travel setting of 100% gave a dead spot on the low end. I think that needs to be at 80%. I thought maybe it was a esc calibration issue but that would just recalibrate to the lower value.

Everything else worked nicely. I'll try my other micros this week. They have been flying a little erratic and needing more expo. I think these lower Travel settings will help get them back under control.
That dead spot in low end throttle response is fairly common with the UMX models. It's never bothered me but it's easy to minimize, as you say. Maybe I'll modify the instructions to suggest starting with the lower limit at -80 and only reducing it if the ESC fails to initialize. My own experience is that the ESC typically requires between -80 and -95 to initialize.

Reducing limits will certainly make the model easier to fly. Many of the UMX do nicely for ordinary flying with the limits set to 80 and the low rate set to 70, so that overall you get 56% rate.

Note that going higher than 80% on control surface limits is not an option because the linear servos have fixed mechanical limits. Leaving limits on 100% AND adding some trim can cause over travel when the stick is hard over and may break the servo.

Note that all settings above refer to the Taranis (or other open source firmware Tx), whose 100% setting is like 125% on a Spekptrum.