HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2012, 07:46 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Has anyone done this plane with 4 servos (flaperons, rudder and elevator)?

Also, has anyone done top drive instead of bottom on the flaperons?

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2012, 08:20 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
995 Posts
The binary 900 was originaly only rudder + elevador, then people added ailerons.
i know people who make it.
take care of the weight.

top drive aileron, why not, but maybe the wing will be fragil, as it use to delaminate quickly..
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old May 23, 2012, 10:53 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
I am planning on using a FrSky 4Ch receiver in it. I think it only weighs 5 gr.
Old May 23, 2012, 11:01 AM
flying is not a dream
Spain, CT, Cardedeu
Joined Jan 2008
995 Posts
mine is 150gr.
3xD47
1AR6100E
1 regulador (6gr from pldaniels)
stamp altimeter (2gr)
Lipo 2S 220mah.
lebenj is offline Find More Posts by lebenj
Old May 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I am planning on using a FrSky 4Ch receiver in it. I think it only weighs 5 gr.
I use this one, works a charm. Never had any issues but then again I don't spec it out, I mostly slope soar it.

http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wga...pgm?I=FUTL7624

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
More details on my setup, it's 138.2g and here is the gear I'm running:
I cut off the connector on the battery and soldered on the connector from an old receiver switch I had, plug it straight into the receiver when I'm ready to fly. The battery is as far up in the nose as possible and it is held in by pressure. I use a rubber band to hold the canopy onto the fuse.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
How do you like the Hitec HS-35HDs?

the only reason I am toying with the idea of using the Dymonds is because I can do away with the voltage regulator. If I am putting 2 servos in the fuse, every gram of savings counts.

Can the Hitec HS-35 run on a 2S LiPO?

Frank
Old May 23, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:

the only reason I am toying with the idea of using the Dymonds is because I can do away with the voltage regulator. If I am putting 2 servos in the fuse, every gram of savings counts.

Frank
Well from their website it doesn't seem like they can, they don't even give specs at 6.0V (5cell NiMh), only at 4.8V. Let me tell you, I did my best to try to get a setup that ran on a LiPo, both 2 cell with a regulator and 1 cell with a booster and came to the conclusion that the lightest possible solution was to run a NiMh. For that reason I went out and found the smallest 4S NiMh I could find. Now, I don't go out with the expectation to fly 5-8 hours in one day, but I have flown maybe 2 and never put back more than half into my 150mAh battery. As you can see, I was a stickler for weight as well and ended up at 138.2g, if I were to add one more HS-35 at 4.5g and maybe another 5g for hardware for the rudder then I would still be under 150g.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:

Frank
Sorry, missed the first question. I like the 35s fine, there is a little bit of buzzing at full flap deployment but none under normal operation. They are tight and slop free and i feel that centering is good. Then again, I fly this plane as a break from my normal powered airplanes and I'm no glider expert so I have few points of reference as far as how my 900 behaves compared to others of the same or different model so what I consider good may be dismal to an expert glider pilot.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 03:20 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,815 Posts
Quote:

Have you ever tried using 1S lipo? Perfect for this sort of plane. If you use Futaba FASST, I can vouch that it works great (I once measured the receivers and they work down to something like 2.6V). I can't comment on other brands.
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
The only question I have is do all servos function well on one LiPO?
Old May 23, 2012, 05:55 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,815 Posts
I use 1S in all my DLGs - Concepts, Fr3aK, Elf, my own Mongrel. Everything from the MKS's in the Concepts to DS09's to JR 188s and 285s to HS45s and HS35s. They all work, but with a little less "vigor" than at the higher voltage. You can see in on the bench, but in the air you'd never notice.
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cloudrider
Manchester UK
Joined Feb 2008
208 Posts
1S Lipo use

Just reading through the threads guys. Wanted to bring the attention of those who are still worried about 1S Lipos to this note. I would enthusiastically encourage the use of the brilliant Smart Lipos that Neil Sells at HyperFlight here in the UK. I use them now on all my DLG models, and yes that's on the bigger 1.5mtr models like the Blaster 2 & 3 versions using Four Servos. There are three capacities available and I've used them all. Getting in excess of four hours flying time out of the 650mAh version with 4 Ripmax SD100 servos. They're very compact units have great reliability, with safety tones, active tones etc. Plus Charge state LED's Built into the pcb's. You can charge them anywhere using a simple range of DC cells, or even another lipo. I use the smaller capacities in the Elf also........perfect for the job.
I'm just an end user not advertising for Neil or anything. Although his service is brilliant as most here will know anyway. But it seems this thread was lacking this really useful option info. Hope you find them as good as I have!!!.
Cheers Cloudrider.
Cloudriderurt is offline Find More Posts by Cloudriderurt
Last edited by Cloudriderurt; Jul 18, 2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
106 Posts
I've been looking at this DLG for quite a while now, figuring if I should get one or not. I usually fly heli's and small foamies, but due to the windy conditions where I live, it can be days between when I can fly outside. Would I be chewing off too much (as a beginner to DLG/gliders) to go with this? I've been flying planes for years with a long break for about 10 years but started again a while ago with helis and a couple foamies, so I'm not "inexperienced".
bjornal is online now Find More Posts by bjornal
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:39 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornal View Post
I've been looking at this DLG for quite a while now, figuring if I should get one or not. I usually fly heli's and small foamies, but due to the windy conditions where I live, it can be days between when I can fly outside. Would I be chewing off too much (as a beginner to DLG/gliders) to go with this? I've been flying planes for years with a long break for about 10 years but started again a while ago with helis and a couple foamies, so I'm not "inexperienced".
I don't have one of these, but I do have a similar size one from another company (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums<br />....php?t=1283654). Are you wanting to DLG this or slope? If DLG, these small DLGs are at their best with none to very little wind which doesn't sound very common by your description of where you live. As for slope, I wouldn't think that they would have the penetration in winds stronger than 10-15 knots, but happy to read others thoughts on this aspect. By your brief description of your experience, I would say that you would be able to handle a DLG, but no guarantees .

If you're wanting to try your hand at DLGs, I recommend you post your location and maybe someone in your area can introduce you to this aspect of our hobby without having to outlay your hard earned.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck, Aus.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II