SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 19, 2013, 05:35 PM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
ive got to the point were i have 4 or 5 backup trucks for the backup truck when my family sees my collection of rcs they always say"why do you need so many of them?" i always say i dont need this many, i just want this many its like women and shoes, they never need anymore, they just want more.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:51 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieslinger View Post
ive got to the point were i have 4 or 5 backup trucks for the backup truck when my family sees my collection of rcs they always say"why do you need so many of them?" i always say i dont need this many, i just want this many its like women and shoes, they never need anymore, they just want more.
Just like potato chips you just can't stop at one.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:00 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,592 Posts
So my story, the things I read here. I got back into RC cars last year, with just a single 4WD. But I liked it so much, and spares for this car were priced very high, so I grabbed a spare car with motor and servo. Since it had a faster motor, fitted with screws with stripped/damaged heads, I decided to keep this motor into this car instead of moving it over to the first car. Added some electronics, and it was indeed much faster than my first car. Then I saw a nice, used Kyosho Lazer ZX Sport. I love the belt drive vintage Kyosho cars, so I couldn't resist. But it came with a little banged up body, so I went looking for a better looking spare body, but found none at first. Then found one... with a complete car attached to it

I will stop here, or the story gets too long.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:47 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
So my story, the things I read here. I got back into RC cars last year, with just a single 4WD. But I liked it so much, and spares for this car were priced very high, so I grabbed a spare car with motor and servo. Since it had a faster motor, fitted with screws with stripped/damaged heads, I decided to keep this motor into this car instead of moving it over to the first car. Added some electronics, and it was indeed much faster than my first car. Then I saw a nice, used Kyosho Lazer ZX Sport. I love the belt drive vintage Kyosho cars, so I couldn't resist. But it came with a little banged up body, so I went looking for a better looking spare body, but found none at first. Then found one... with a complete car attached to it

I will stop here, or the story gets too long.
I like the vintage Kyosho stuff.But that can break the bank. I wonder if they will ever re do some of the older stuff like Tamiya did. They were ahead of the curve on many of there designs. I hope the do. I have an older Turbo Burns it is my friends I'm rebuilding it for him. I at least have the all the parts.

The other part of the used thing is When I started every car or truck was a kit you had to build it. When I first started in R/C my friend told me something that still rings true today If you built it you can fix it. This was about airplanes but it is just as true for trucks and cars . I miss the kits. I think Traxxas was the first to start the RTR trend. I'm not 100% on this but I kind of remember them doing it first. I know time is a commodity for everyone theses day's and it is more easy to get into the hobby now.I find it rather relaxing building a kit.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:36 PM
bashing on vancouver island
Joined Sep 2008
609 Posts
i have never actually built a kit rc car before, but a tamiya hornet kit is on my bucket list im also a big fan of the vintage stuff and have just added a traxxas sledgehammer and traxxas hawk to my collection of vintage rc cars. both are in amazing shape with nothing broken other than a couple small cracks in the lexan bodies and paint peeling off of the hawks body. i paid 75 bucks each for them which may sound a little steap, but because i am a collector it is money well spent.
veggieslinger is offline Find More Posts by veggieslinger
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:45 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I had several vintage cars in the past but due to the wife complaining I was taking over the house, I sold most of them. I had a couple of Kyosho cars.. Outlaw rampage and ZR1 Corvette as well as a Burns Buggy and USA! monster crusher.. Loved them.. Here a couple of shots of the Nitro's....

The USA1 Nitro next to my vintage CenMT2
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:54 AM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
Here is a good one.. anyone remember these... The first Truggy!! I got it for free, just had to replace the motor which was blown.. I loved this truck and it was super fast at the track...
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:02 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieslinger View Post
i have never actually built a kit rc car before, but a tamiya hornet kit is on my bucket list im also a big fan of the vintage stuff and have just added a traxxas sledgehammer and traxxas hawk to my collection of vintage rc cars. both are in amazing shape with nothing broken other than a couple small cracks in the lexan bodies and paint peeling off of the hawks body. i paid 75 bucks each for them which may sound a little steap, but because i am a collector it is money well spent.
Cool I have no room for the stuff I have let alone some older stuff show a few pics of the older Traxxas trucks.

The old USA one I cant tell you how many times I drooled over that truck.
I had 2 of the MT2 I thought they were a real good truck. I know CEN is having some trouble with the US distribution. The Nemesis will be in my shop one day. Great pictures of your trucks.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:00 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I gave up with Cen years ago and sold off the trucks that I had..Never again.. Too many issues with the company. The trucks were fine. a little weak in spots, but nothing that couldn't be fixed. I still have a CT5S that is a shelf queen for life..Here is a picture of the truck in race trim with the OS18crv motor.. That little truck would top 50 all day and beat just about every MT on the track.

this is a shot with the Race body on.. notice the tires..custom modded the truck with Tmaxx axles.. as a bonus, I could run 14mm Tmaxx wheels and tires..
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:25 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
Very nice. My LHS was able to get parts for the CEN stuff. I had The engines were a little touchy and the 2 speed tranny was a bit finicky. I have a soft spot for them because they were the trucks I had that got me back into the hobby after a 3 year break.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:36 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
I like the vintage Kyosho stuff.But that can break the bank. I wonder if they will ever re do some of the older stuff like Tamiya did. They were ahead of the curve on many of there designs. I hope the do. I have an older Turbo Burns it is my friends I'm rebuilding it for him. I at least have the all the parts.
Now that would be cool. Maybe we should mail them to make them attentive that there may be a lot of dormant fans waiting to get their hands on a new Optima for instance.

If you want a vintage Kyosho, you got to be lucky indeed to find an auction that doesn't have the price rocketing up. Parts are still available here and there, some sellers seem to have stocked up on the past, and not everyone wants to get the absolute top-top price for those parts.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:58 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
It was like some of the Tamiya cars were a few years ago they were going for some big bucks I would be a little angry if I was a Tamiya collector with some of those early kits. After they reproduced them it brought all the prices down. The Kyosho buggies would be a great to re-do so some of the newer people could experience what we had back in the day. I still want the USA one it was one of the first real big monster trucks
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:41 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
I loved mine.. I sometimes wish I didn't sell it, but I got a good chunk of change for it and purchased my Tmaxx and some other stuff with the money from it..wasn't terribly fast and couldn't wheelie to save its life.. but the sound and the site of those huge tires where worth it. Mredzadventure.. for old times sake.. here's a picture you will love.. Its my favorite shot I took of the truck during a run in a snow storm.. I still can't figure out how this happened, but I laugh every time I see this shot.. I call it "Nitro Snowball"
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:07 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,437 Posts
That is awesome That is just one of the Iconic trucks of all time.