SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:59 AM
Joined May 2013
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
Wow, it sounds like this new Dx6 is the obvious upgrade. I can't see any reason why I would choose a Dx7 or 8 over this.
What are the new DX6 gimbals like ? The DX7s and up have noticeably better ones the the DX6i.

The first good radio I bought was a DX7s and after I found the DX8 had a number of little upgrades like back light and 3 position switches I always regretted not sending a little more.

Now I have a DX9 and am totally happy. I only use upto 6 channels so far and don't plan to need more. It is much more versatile than the DX8 and probably the new DX6.

Just my perspective...
Jason50 is offline Find More Posts by Jason50
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:45 AM
The flying snake
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Sep 2013
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa strap View Post
does anyone have a cg machine? I put mine on it tonite and found no matter where I put the battery I am WAY nose heavy. Anyone else?
No one?
Grandpa strap is offline Find More Posts by Grandpa strap
Old Mar 07, 2014, 10:56 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
I run the batt as far back as it will go. Up against the foam former. Trouble is. it blocks off the hole where the air goes through for cooling. I took my knife and widened it out on both sides to let the air through.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:07 AM
United States, FL, Eustis
Joined Oct 2012
434 Posts
Quote:
No one?
My CG is perfect with the battery all the way back and that is with the larger Yak landing gear.
AustinG is offline Find More Posts by AustinG
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:27 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,929 Posts
I got two new APC 13x6.5 props for the VA. Ready to go for tomorrow's 45 degree weather!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:40 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghershey View Post
Has anyone found a source of bearings for the Size 10 motor in the VisionAire?
Mine sounds like a gear drive and I've replaced the motor once and its bad again.
5x14x5 with flange
5x11x5 no flange
Eflight doesn't list them as a part.
Mine sounds like a dadgummed cement mixer, but I keep on flying it anyway....

Be interesting to see if someone can help with replacement bearings, I'll be looking in to see...

tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 07, 2014, 11:57 AM
The flying snake
United States, CO, Thornton
Joined Sep 2013
1,012 Posts
So I have not been able to find any info on cg issues on this plane so it leads me to believe either I'm doing it wrong or my cg machine is junk. It's the one from greatplanes.
I set the arms to 70mm right near the fuse place the battery in any location in the bay and still the nose drops. It's a mass produced plane and there aren't many variances that could happen. Anyone have ideas?
Grandpa strap is offline Find More Posts by Grandpa strap
Old Mar 07, 2014, 01:58 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,929 Posts
Take off the nose cone? I wouldn't worry too much unless it's flying like crap!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:17 PM
Professional RC Crash Pilot
Joined Mar 2007
476 Posts
Quote:
does anyone have a cg machine? I put mine on it tonite and found no matter where I put the battery I am WAY nose heavy. Anyone else?
I'm not sure what a cg machine is but..... the VA comes very close to perfect right out of the box with a 2200, 3 cell battery right smack dab in the middle of the battery box. I like mine scooted all the way forward which seems to help me do knife edge flybys..(need all the help I can get, ya know).
eghershey is offline Find More Posts by eghershey
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:20 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Mar 2013
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post

Be interesting to see if someone can help with replacement bearings, I'll be looking in to see...

Chap named "Sibe" on these forums passed the following info to me... he gave me the following...

"If your bearings are feeling rough when you're done cleaning they are much cheaper to buy from a bearing supply than any RC aftermarket. Plus you get better quality bearings.
Very easy to pop them out and install new ones.
http://www.bocabearings.com/
I use these bearings, look them up online then give the part number to the guys at the store.
Some of my buddies run ceramic bearings, personally I don't, no reason other than I like to change them out regularly so plain steel works.
"

"Use a set of calipers to measure the OD, ID and width of the bearing, you actually already know the ID it's the shaft size, so all you need is the outside diameter and width.
The bearings may also have a part number stamped on them, would take a magnifying glass to see probably.
You could also just take the to a bearing supply house. They will measure them for you.
"

here is the link to the place you can apparently get any kind of bearings I think the above sorts it out pretty much for you....

http://www.bocabearings.com/

I personally have no experience in this regard and am merely passing along some hopefully helpful info that seems darn good to me... if and when I need to 'go there' ... this is exactly what I'll be doing... assuming I ever have a motor I value enough to bother... mostly mine are cheapies and it would be just easier to purchase a new motor...
Oatman is offline Find More Posts by Oatman
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:17 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,732 Posts
Bearings? it's just the sound of the motor IMO....i would just say keep flying until the motor stops,then you should consider looking for things to change. i have motors here that have years of flying done and it's my first time hearing about changing bearings on brushless motors,maybe check to see if your motor is still mounted as it should be,change prop and spinner,should be fine after that.
the only way i can think the bearings would be finished is if it got a lot of heavy crashes.

i spose we all have our own ways about things,what ever floats as they say.
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:19 PM
At High Altitude...
Ireland
Joined Jan 2013
1,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eghershey View Post
I'm not sure what a cg machine is but..... the VA comes very close to perfect right out of the box with a 2200, 3 cell battery right smack dab in the middle of the battery box. I like mine scooted all the way forward which seems to help me do knife edge flybys..(need all the help I can get, ya know).

+1

i agree,i just sit my battery in the center.never had to touch COG.
flightpunch34 is offline Find More Posts by flightpunch34
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:19 PM
Portland, Maine
Joined Sep 2007
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post

See Post #5664...much cheaper than Boca
Dynarace is offline Find More Posts by Dynarace
Old Mar 07, 2014, 04:56 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
CG is 4 1/2 back from the leading edge at the root. Shows on page 11 of the manual.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:03 PM
Spool 'er up!
United States, FL, Oxford
Joined Mar 2010
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason50 View Post
What are the new DX6 gimbals like ? The DX7s and up have noticeably better ones the the DX6i.
On the Spektrum DX6 Product Page it states "Smooth, precise Four Bearing Gimbals". So, should be superior to the current DX6i. Now whether they'll be as good as the DX8 or DX9 remains to be seen!
Paul1PA is offline Find More Posts by Paul1PA