HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which flight mode do you fly in Primarily (DJI pilots only)
Manual 18 15.25%
ATT 67 56.78%
GPS 54 45.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Poll
How many DJI (Naza or WKM) pilots fly primarily in ATT or GPS mode

As an owner of many different flight controllers (HoverFly Pro, Copter Control, multiwii, Naze32, and a DJI WKM) I am interested to know how many of you who fly the DJI flight controllers fly in ATT (accelerometers and baro +GPS active) or GPS v. how many fly in manual mode.

I have been having good discussions with members in other thread and realized this really needs its own thread.

I would appreciate only DJI pilots (Naza and WKM) to participate in the poll question, but anyone can add to the conversation in the thread.

Thanks guys!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 02:57 PM
Private Pilot
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Jul 2009
1,273 Posts
Currently since my WKM is on the fritz I fly it in manual mode, but when I had my naza I would fly in manual and atti equally. It really depends on the conditions for me and if I am taking pics/video and at what height. I would say I use them all equally but will use gps more for stills, atti and manual for video.
Twister773 is offline Find More Posts by Twister773
Old May 21, 2012, 03:05 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i am trying to remove the public part of the poll.... cant see to figure out if i can edit the poll
Old May 21, 2012, 03:20 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
You also made it multiple choice and because I now fly in both about equally.... I voted twice
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old May 21, 2012, 03:27 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
yeah that was on purpose..... i was thinking some people might say they fly in 2 or all 3 equally.

i cant see to edit the poll to remove the public part. sorry (at least it isnt a damning or person question )
Old May 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,062 Posts
I fly both of my WKM and one of the Naza in ATTI 100% of the time. I do tune the gains to get the level of performance I want flying that way, typically lowering the ATTI gains substantially so I'm not fighting it all the time. I've been flying Mk for a couple years now and while it is possible to turn autolevel off on an MK, it's not something you would typically do since it has to be done via MKtool and can't be done via TX switch as WKM and Naza can, so I just got used to flying that way and it doesn't really bother me. I seldom fly in GPS mode except for those intances where I want to just park it for a minute for whatever reason or I'm doing a vertical climb while recording video.

The Naza on my FPV quad I use both modes but probably fly in ATTI more than manual, when I really feel the need for a full manual flight I break out one of the KK based quads.
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old May 21, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
26 Posts
i fly over crowds at the desert races with fw450 gopro2 using atti mode and ezosd with gps. but on my 550 with naza i want this new gps mode for sure. RTH is a feature i would like to try. well worth the money.
winstongotte is offline Find More Posts by winstongotte
Old May 21, 2012, 04:05 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I'm a beginner and with the NAZA I only flew in ATTI, I didn't like the quick response of manual mode. Now with the WKM, I'm thinking I'll pretty much only fly in GPS mode for aerial photography. I have no interest to race around, and if I ever do, I'll just get a F450/NAZA.
Just my Fuddy Duddy 2 cents.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Old May 21, 2012, 04:19 PM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
245 Posts
As you can see in my video I fly in gps mode to "travel" is vey easy just leave the throttle in middle possittion, push you pitch stick full forward and yaw to make turns, itīs easy. If you want more speed, manual mode is your choice. I use manual mode to get fast descends it take too long in atti or gps when you are very high.
I hope help you.

DJI wookong m test flight (4 min 4 sec)
moriwaky is online now Find More Posts by moriwaky
Old May 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,492 Posts
I fly only atti and gps. In hundreds of flights I have never even tried manual. Most of the time I use gps mode. I only use atti if it is windy.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old May 21, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
18 Posts
I fly in GPS mode, and bang the sticks around like I freaking stole it. Try that with the NAZA in atti mode. Manual mode is fun on a lightweight quad, but once you put a gimbal under it and the gps module is sticking out of the top, there's too much money hanging out of the thing for me to mess with.
Surlymofo is offline Find More Posts by Surlymofo
Old May 21, 2012, 05:54 PM
sorry, my english is bad
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Apr 2011
240 Posts
you should have make a seperate vote for NAZA and on for WKM.
On NAZA there is an ATTI mode? never realized that

But flying my fat WKM rig GPS is always my choice.
teramax is offline Find More Posts by teramax
Old May 21, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
atti is a hover only mode if you are to follow dji's suggestion, fff is against the rules for it.
mailman35 is offline Find More Posts by mailman35
Old May 21, 2012, 06:13 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teramax View Post
you should have make a seperate vote for NAZA and on for WKM.
On NAZA there is an ATTI mode? never realized that

But flying my fat WKM rig GPS is always my choice.
yeah.... well since they are basically the same.... and the Naza is getting GPS...

I will be making a similar one for HoverFly, CC and Multiwii later.

then i will create a bar graph showing flight modes and flight controller correlations.

I never thought about it that people using different controllers would fly differently.... but through some conversations I realized that the parties involved did not share the same philosophy of flight modes and use cases.... something I took for granted.

This is really interesting to me
Old May 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
Gravity is a cruel mistress...
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Mar 2011
726 Posts
On the WKM, I preferred ATTI mode most of the time since I didn't do much FFF with it. I felt that I was always fighting the controller if I tried to fly around in GPS mode so I left that only for when I wanted to hold position. With the amount of $$ I had on the multi I didn't feel comfortable throwing it around the sky in Manual.

Now on a cheaper controller like a Naza, I fly manual with 50% expo more often because it was more acrobatic and on a frame meant for fun.
Blucross is offline Find More Posts by Blucross