HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:07 AM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
Discussion
Dubro E/Z Connectors

I have some of the silver Dubro EZ Connectors on some JR DS821 Servos for my ailerons on my Pulse XT 60, what Im wondering is, is this okay?
I mean, will they come loose in flight, the only reason I have them there is because it is impossible for my to get a perfect 90 degree bend in those pushrods even using Z-Bend Pliers, they are exposed out, and I am wondering if they will come loose while flying, or If I am going to have to find something else
Thanks
Danyal is offline Find More Posts by Danyal
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:46 AM
Tampa, FL.
Joined Jul 2010
169 Posts
They failed in my boat...certainly would not use them in a plane.
Johnnysplits is offline Find More Posts by Johnnysplits
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:05 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Aug 2009
224 Posts
Hi Danyal
The EZ connector can easily open up in flight, in my opinion. I never us them. I found a short nosed needle pliers that makes Z bends very well. With a Dremel tool I ground a groove on the plier jaw and bend the wire into it so that the inside bend radius is no smaller than the wire diameter. Best engineering practice recommends that.
villapilote is offline Find More Posts by villapilote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:15 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,161 Posts
EZ connectors can be used safely if you follow a few precautions. If using music wire, file a flat on the wire where the grub screw contacts it. If this is not possible, use a softer wire that the grub screw can deform (flatten) a bit as it is tightened. Replace the grub screw provided with an Allen 4/40 screw for ease of tightening. Use blue threadlock on the grub screw. I've used these for years on many planes for throttle control and on the small electrics for all surfaces with never a failure. I do not use them on the 1/4 scale planes for anything other than the throttle.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Nov 13, 2011, 05:50 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,222 Posts
I won't use them on any control surface...throttle or stering ok but not on a control surface......I've never had a clevis fail but I have had a throttle stick at mid because an ez connector came loose
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:12 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
I hve them on all servos right now, but only the aileron servos are exposed, the rest are inside, I just cant get a perfect 90 degrees without the servos taking on too much load and making a weird noise, any suggestions?
Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2011, 05:08 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal View Post
I hve them on all servos right now, but only the aileron servos are exposed, the rest are inside, I just cant get a perfect 90 degrees without the servos taking on too much load and making a weird noise, any suggestions?
Thanks
Use ball links, much better for misaligned or off-angle set ups and no slop.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 06:36 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
These be okay?
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=DUB181
Old Nov 15, 2011, 07:59 AM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal View Post
Yes, just put a dab of epoxy or CA on the nut after installing it so that it can not loosen under vibration.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 02:07 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
Do I need to change the control horns or anything else for the control linkages?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:57 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Looks like that's a pretty sizable rod on the ball end. The hole you make in the control horn might be too big and weaken the horn? If so you can buy the heavy-duty control horns for JR servos and use those?

I've used the EZ Connectors and had no issues yet *fingers crossed, touch wood etc*. I always check they're tight before a flight and when I land.
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Nov 15, 2011, 11:12 PM
That's gonna' leave a mark!!
Imperial, Sask.
Joined Apr 2007
201 Posts
I use these two types of ball links and love them. They come in 2-56 and 4-40 sizes to suit your application!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=SUL562

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=DUB899
chuebner is offline Find More Posts by chuebner
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:23 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
I use them all over my 40 size glow planes (Dubro EZ that is). Never had one slip. I tighten them properly (use pliers to hold the lower unit in place for extra torque). I also use a nice dose of blue loctite.

Z bends are nice if the wire is good quality. Cheap ARF wire will get stressed when bent 90 degrees...and I've had that break before.

I agree, the EZ units do have their limit, and you probably don't want to use them in .60+ size 3D planes with alot of servo torque.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:08 PM
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Feb 2010
157 Posts
Well, looks like Ill be getting me some ball links for my control surfaces.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 09:19 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,498 Posts
I'm a fan of the ball links too. I use the Du-Bro ones.
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Closed Thread