HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2009, 07:07 PM
Joined Nov 2009
59 Posts
Mini-HowTo
The iMax/Eurgle/Turnigy 9x Facts/How-to Thread!

Hi there folks.

So I got my 9x. Being my first computer Tx, looks fine. I'm setting it up to try everything possible on a electric foamie before flying glow A/C with it (still stickin to my Futaba for that!), so I can grow to trust it (or not!)

I've read a lot about it online, and found out that a lot of people have that equipment, but there is no source of knowledge about it, because the manual is so poor and whenever there is a thread on that, it turns to discussing wether the Tx is good or not. That's not the purpose of this topic, so if you want to post some kind of personal opinion on the equipment, please go to the right thread for that. The idea here is to post facts and questions and its solutions so all of us owners of a good looking 9x can enjoy it at its best.

To the moderators, I hope this is an acceptable topic. If not, please erase or lock. But I'd really appreciate if this one remains, because a) it's harmless and b) it can help us all build a knowledge base on a product that is lacking that so far, and that product shall be quite popular somewhere in the future due to its low price, IF it gets to be a respectable Tx. Thanks.

So what I got so far:

1 - The voltmeter on the Tx measures always around 0.9 - 1.0V less on the battery than my Fluke.

2 - Failsafe with Assan module works nicely, but I didn't see any differences Between the settings NORM and 000%. Whenever I cut power on the TX, all the plane command surfaces come to neutral position and the engine cuts off.

3 - As I'm trying to explore all I can from the Tx, I set up 2 servos for ailerons in different channels (1 and 6), and activated the Flaperon mix. I assigned the PIT TRIM pot to flaps, but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or the feature is poor, because the ailerons get to neutral position when the pot is in the middle. They go down when I turn it counter-clockwise and up (like spoilers) when I turn it clockwise.
While this can be useful when flying faster models, that's not what I expected. Am I programming it wrong?

4 - Still on the flaps subject, when I go to the DISPLAY option and move the pot around, flaps show like 30% up and 30% down only. Can I get more flaps than that?

5 - What is the Idledown feature?

6 - My firmware spells SNOPROLL on the SNAPROLL feature.

7 - Dual Rates and Expo seem to be working ok. But then again, it's my first computer Tx and I've tested only on the ground (will fly on the weekend)

8 - The battery connector has 3 pins. Middle one is + and both left and right are working as - on mine. Are all of them like that?

All the best!
Amazon is offline Find More Posts by Amazon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2009, 09:37 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,563 Posts
we did beat it to death in this thread here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967207
and this thread too:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035575

1) Yeah it is hard to get the microprocessor analog converter to match a decent voltmeter, so it will be likely off. it is the variance of tolerance of the parts they used for resistors etc.
2) Sorry I didn't notice or try it.
3) Yeah the mixing can work both ways when you set it up. I haven't tried that option on my systems yet. I ran the flaps separate from the ailerons.
4)I set mine for 0 to whatever throw I could get on the flaps, I didn't have the flaps go up.
5) idledown is where you adjust the percentage to kill the engine when you toggle a switch associated to it. It is like using the mechanical trim on the throttle to stop the engine by setting the throttle to close enough to stop the engine.
6) they misspelled other things too. Like the MODE 1,2,3,4 options they spelled it as MODEL 1,2,3,4.
7) Yeah DR's work, I didn't see anything wrong there. I would have liked assigning all the DR's to one switch though, instead of individual switches.
8) Probably, maybe, maybe not, it might change on the next production run.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:44 PM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
2 - Failsafe with Assan module works nicely, but I didn't see any differences Between the settings NORM and 000%. Whenever I cut power on the TX, all the plane command surfaces come to neutral position and the engine cuts off.
You may have noticed that the 9X (what ever name you wish to put in front of the 9X, be it FlySky, Turnigy, Eurgle, or iMax) is a transmitter module radio. It can use VHF FM modules or 2.4 GHz modules.

When using VHF modules, it can transmit in either PPM or PCM modes. The failsafe function is only available with FlySky standard PCM receivers.

Therefore, I'm not surprised you didn't notice any difference in the Failsafe settings when using an Assan 2.4 GHz module.

You may also have noticed that the 9X only has 9 channels when operating in the FM PCM mode. When operating in the PPM mode for FM PPM or 2.4 GHz use, it only has 8 channels.

With the Assan receivers, the failsafe positions are set every time you turn on the receiver and transmitter. Whatever positions the transmitter sticks are in when first turned on will be set as the failsafe positions.

If you have the high end X8 receivers, you can program failsafe positions using a USB cord.

Assan manual here.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Last edited by F-111 John; Dec 01, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:16 AM
Joined Nov 2009
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
we did beat it to death in this thread here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967207
and this thread too:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035575

1) Yeah it is hard to get the microprocessor analog converter to match a decent voltmeter, so it will be likely off. it is the variance of tolerance of the parts they used for resistors etc.
2) Sorry I didn't notice or try it.
3) Yeah the mixing can work both ways when you set it up. I haven't tried that option on my systems yet. I ran the flaps separate from the ailerons.
4)I set mine for 0 to whatever throw I could get on the flaps, I didn't have the flaps go up.
5) idledown is where you adjust the percentage to kill the engine when you toggle a switch associated to it. It is like using the mechanical trim on the throttle to stop the engine by setting the throttle to close enough to stop the engine.
6) they misspelled other things too. Like the MODE 1,2,3,4 options they spelled it as MODEL 1,2,3,4.
7) Yeah DR's work, I didn't see anything wrong there. I would have liked assigning all the DR's to one switch though, instead of individual switches.
8) Probably, maybe, maybe not, it might change on the next production run.
Hi, Earl!

Yes, I've read most of those threads, but my idea is to build a database on the 9x without the "I like it"-"I don't" - "It's worth buying" - "It's a piece of crap radio" over there. I plan on sticking to that radio for as long as I can, and if XJet wrote that he flies everything up to .90 engines with it, I believe we should work on it to drain all the fun we can have out of it, regardless of likes and dislikes.

About the flaps, which pot did you assign it to? Is it possible to set the ranges on the Tx?

Quote:
With the Assan receivers, the failsafe positions are set every time you turn on the receiver and transmitter. Whatever positions the transmitter sticks are in when first turned on will be set as the failsafe positions.

If you have the high end X8 receivers, you can program failsafe positions using a USB cord
That's some pretty useful info, F-111 John. As the 9x does not turn on with switches on positions other than 0, if you don't mess around the radio before turning the Rx on, you'll always come to failsafe with wings and elevator leveled, and throttle 0. However, if were flying glow A/C, this will result in idle engine. Is that the best option, or should it cut off?

Cheers!
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:53 AM
R.I.P, Aardvark.
Holt, MI
Joined Jan 2009
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon View Post
However, if were flying glow A/C, this will result in idle engine. Is that the best option, or should it cut off?
I wouldn't want the failsafe of a glow engine set to cut off. A momentary radio glitch (and they always happen) will turn a short glitch into a dead stick landing.

However you do bring up an interesting point. If you have your throttle servo set so that it idles with throttle trim up, and cuts off with throttle trim down, when you end a flight you also end up with the throttle trim set to minimum when you turn off your radio.

When you turn on your plane and radio for it's next flight, the throttle trim is still set to minimum, and your failsafe gets set to throttle cutoff.

You might want to test this to see if it's true, and if so then get in the habit of bumping up the throttle stick a bit before turning on the system.
F-111 John is offline Find More Posts by F-111 John
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:10 AM
Joined Nov 2009
59 Posts
So this is when we come to the Idledown feature - which I don't get very well so far.

Can we use it to cut the throttle without having to pull the trim all the way down every flight?

And I get your point about the glitch, but in case of real radio failure and fail safe kicking in, the plane is most likely going to crash. In that case, isn't it better if it crashes with the carb totally closed to avoid debris ingestion?
But maybe in the end you're right and it isn't worth risking a hundred dead stick landings just to close the carb on a crash.

And about the failsafe, is it worth setting up full flaps in case Tx signal is lost?
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:59 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,563 Posts
Yes the throttle down feature is used instead of using the trim to kill the engine.
I used the front left potentiometer on the TX to control the flaps. It didn't seem to have a option to use the top left pot like I wanted to use.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:39 AM
Joined Nov 2009
59 Posts
Earl,

That's exactly the config Im using. Yet, if the pot is at 9 o'clock, I have 0 flaps. If i turn it clockwise, I get spoilers. Counterclockwise, I get flaps.

I'm not 100% sure right now, but I think I had this flaps control set on all 3 pots (one at a time). I'll try to do it again when I get home and I'll let you know.

I know there is a way to set endpoint on the channels. Is there a way to set starting point?
Is there a trim for the flaps (not the channel, the flaperon mix)?

F-111 John,

If we can get that Idledown to work, then the trim down at startup issue might be solved.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 02:26 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,563 Posts
If I remember I messed with the percentages on the throw for the servo. Maybe it was 0% and 100% or reversed. something like that. I'll take a look at the TX when I get home tonight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:52 AM
Joined Jan 2006
8 Posts
I have boat the 9X & the FS-TH9X

I'll apologise for my spelling up front.
I too am having troubles with these TX's. I have flaperon working on channel 1 & 6, but can't seem to get flaperons to work. I ma using some of the instructions from my Hitec Eclips 7 & they seem to work as well, but, nothing seems to work for me in setting up the flaperons.

You can try this one for "V" tail.

Goto "V" Tail settings.
  • Set the receiver plugs, sockets to Elevator = CH. 2 & Rudder + CH. 4
    Set INT to + ACT
    Set Elev1 to 100 100 by using the elevator stick
    Set Elev2 to 100 100 as above.
    set Rud1 to 100 100 Byusing the rudder stick
    Set Rud2 to -100 -100 as above
You will find your "V" tail not functioning carectly if you watch the servo of the serfeses. The fix is to go into "Reverse" & reverse the elevator servo to reverse. Check your serfeses again & you will find them working corectly.

If you find this reversed try reversing everything, then reversing the rudder instead of the elevator.

I shore hope this helps someone as it took me three days to work this much out.

Miles
Carnarvon, in Western Australia.
modeller6701 is offline Find More Posts by modeller6701
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:39 AM
Joined Nov 2009
59 Posts
What is the problem you are facing?

Flaperons are working ok here on ch 1 and 6.

Post your settings here, so we can compare and make it work.

All the best,

Renato
Old Dec 25, 2009, 04:18 AM
Joined Jan 2006
8 Posts
Appologies
I do have flaperons working om CH1 & 6. The ailerons are working on a two channel function, however, what I ment was, I was having troubles getting flaperons or spoilerons to work. Which switch, switches on the this function.
My Hitec flash 7 manual dosent help in this regard either.

Many thanks in advance,
Merry Xmas, being Xmas day & a happy New Year, to all.

Miles.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 04:56 PM
Joined Nov 2009
59 Posts
Modeller,

I have my Flaperons set to PIT Trim on the last menu page, "AUX CHANNELS" or something like that.

You go to chan 6 and choose the control knob you want (or switch, like the gear switch, if you don't have retracts on the plane, you can use that for 0/full flaps) by pressing +/-.

And the news:

Got my F. Mode Switch to work on ACRO mode. You can set it using the "MIX" options. You can have up to 8 mixes using that switch in each model.
So I tried a few, like High Idle (N), Low Idle (1) and Cutoff (2), and it worked. It is stupid, as you cannot assign any other function to the Idledown switch, but I was just testing.

On my TGY 9, the AIRBRAKE mix seems to be working ok. It is just not possible to use AIRBRAKE if you have, for example, FLAPERON in ACT mode, or any other wing mix. But it is possible to have flaperon and design a mix on MIX 1, that uses airbrakes, in case you have 3/4 servo wings and want to go for a butterfly mix.

What I wanted to do and still couldn't figure out is to have normal, 1/2 flaps and full flaps on the F.Mode.

Any ideas?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 11:49 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,563 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to look at my TX until just now.
I see what I did to get the flaps to work for me, I setup my Cessna plane using the Heli mode not the airplane mode (acro). Anyway the AUX channel 5 is setup using the PIT TRIM knob on the left front.
The flaps work fine then. I also set the PIT CURVE option in 25% increments (0%, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%).
I think the heli mode was a accident on my part, I wasn't looking to see what mode the TX was in when I was setting it up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2009, 07:10 PM
Joined Jan 2006
8 Posts
wE THE SILLY OLD FOOL'SHim 58 & me 65.

Are NOT computer literate, BUT, here is what we havw come up with. Flaperons as such do NOT work using the flaperon function, however, it dose make the ailerons work on CH1 & 6 which it is ment to do.
What we have done is use the AileronDifferential on Ch1 & 7 & set up as follows.

Here is what I found.
To make a simple FLAPERONS for a two servo wing use the following.
AILDIFF
STATE ACT
AIL1 000 -000
AIL2 -100 -100

AIRBREAKE
AIRBREABE SW (OFF)
STATE ACT
AIL1 050
AIL2 -050
FLAP 050

I/we have found that the F.Mode switch workes to switch in the flaperons. I have one problem with this. The stitch has a state of OFF ON OFF.
Can any body dell me how tho reverse this switch to ON OFF ON?
Being a little on the old side could you be more presice in your discriptions, lik goto XYZ & do this as in the above.

Miles...