HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:03 AM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
Help!
Help with introduction to RC planes

Hi there, I am new in all these, I did some searching around about this the whole afternoon but still couldn't understand the concept of RC aircrafts, I have zero knowledge about this so I hope someone can explain and suggest to me the following;

1. The required electrical things needed are ESC, receiver, transmitter, Arduino?,

2. How does a receiver and transmitter works? (Programming wise)

3. What actually is this Arduino (Is it something like a motherboard?) and what is the most value for money model? Or are there better other cheaper brand which is fairly reliable?

4. What is the best way and material to create a helicopter like propeller?(the plane will be quite heavy because the most convenient material I can get my hands on is wood)

5. Can I program the Arduino to do auto piloting? (Example, make the plan fly straight if no inputs are received)

6. How many motors can an Arduino handle? Lets say I have a 4 propellered helicopter, each has one motor to rotate the propeller and another to position the propeller to point to the right direction

7. Best place to get the needed things? Especially gears, I need them to connect my motors

8. A good tutorial for someone who doesnt know anything about circuit boards and electrical stuffs?

9. If you don't mind, can we exchange contact and guide me through?

I do hope someone could help me clear as much doubts as possible, oh and sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I couldn't find a section for RC aircraft development
SlonCHL is offline Find More Posts by SlonCHL
Last edited by SlonCHL; Oct 16, 2014 at 09:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:06 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlonCHL View Post
Help with introduction to RC planes
Visit local club or park where people fly RC planes, best place to start.

If none are available and you must learn most of it on your own start with a trainer ready to fly model. Then when you can fly you move on to making your own model.
You don't need "Arduino" to fly model airplanes, you need or want Arduino for specific things you want to do that normal model setup can't do.
Besides the model itself you need servos to move the control surfaces, transmitter/receiver, ESC for electric motor to propel the model around.

IMO without any disrespect but if you are asking these questions I don't think you are ready to build a model from scratch..

PS: If you are looking for PLANES 101 you may want to move your thread to the Aircraft section of the forum..
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:31 AM
Mike
Belgium
Joined May 2014
267 Posts
Perhaps you should start by watching those videos.

Your "helicopter like propeller" and "arduino" statements make me think you might be interested in a multi-rotor (or quadcopter, if it makes sense ?). You don't want to scratch build those things, especially not propellers. It's way better to buy a small one, ready-to-fly at first.
on4mj is offline Find More Posts by on4mj
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:38 AM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
We dont have parks where people fly RC planes here.

Yeah I'm learning by my own but I need some guidance because I don't know about electric circuit boards

Oh yes, I just remembered, I saw someone connect the receiver straight to the ESC or something, but then what's Arduino for?

Yes I know that, that's why I'm asking questions now, learning. I'm not creating planes yet

On4mj, yeah I plan to do something like the helicopter in Avatar because it can take of vertically and is much faster compared to normal helicopter, I suppose, because of the way the propeller is placed. I find joy in creating things from scratch I don't know why but I'll take your advice to not build the propeller, any idea where can I a good offer for one? (or 2)
Last edited by SlonCHL; Oct 16, 2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:44 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,607 Posts
Are you talking about a model Airplane or Multi-rotor, using Arduino isn't a common thing in airplanes.

You need a receiver to receiver the control commands from the transmitter, this receiver needs to be powered (4.8v-6v) either by seperate power source of most of today's ESC provide BEC (Battery Eliminating Circuitry) Main Flight Pack connects to ESC that connects to motor. Brushed/Brushless require proper ESC to function.

Then you need servos to move control surfaces.

If you are talking about multi-rotor then the above for the most part applies minus servos and you would have a Flight Controller to keep the model level and this would then make sense for your Arduino comment like mentioned above.

Either way IMO you would probably be better off buying a small Ready To Fly model and learning with that and then revisiting your questions for building your own.
Good Luck...

PS: Still think you should be asking in another section of the forum (not transmitter section)
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:48 AM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
Freechip, actually a multi-rotor

So Arduino is like a central control for all the rotors?

I don't have enough budget I'll have to take the hard way
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:03 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,607 Posts
Arduino yes would be the Flight Controller that is controlling all the ESC that are controlling the motors.

"Don't have enough budget" comment reinforces the fact that you should be looking into small ready to fly quad to learn on first. Something like this for example http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...nology-blh7600

Even if you get good inexpensive parts to build, when building from scratch it ADDS up quickly then you have something you have money and time invested that chances of crashing are higher because of the lack of experience flying such model.

Anyways good luck.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
The flight controller is independent of the receiver right? Means that I can program the aircraft to fly forward when an input comes in a specific channel, I.e auto pilot?

Actually I don't think you know but my primary objective here is to build an aircraft not to own one because I find joy in building stuffs especially when it comes to programming

Thanks
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:28 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlonCHL View Post
We dont have parks where people fly RC planes here.
Where is that? We can probably connect you to people. There are a lot more people in this hobby than you might imagine!

If you put that information into your bio page then people won't have to ask.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:47 AM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
Sorry, I just joined, didn't bother to update my bio, it's Malaysia
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:00 AM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
Here are some links that may help:

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/mal...ane-clubs.html

http://www.malaysia-rc.com/
(Specifically the sub-forum: Malaysia Flying Field)
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 09:55 PM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
Thanks but I don't specifically need a Malaysian guide because I only plan to do it once and advance to another project, I just want to learn how RC works so that I can maybe modify it in the future and use it for my other projects
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:08 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,963 Posts
As pointed out by others, you are asking in the wrong place. Most of your questions are not about radio issues but about the fundamentals of multicopters and their flight control systems. You should be asking in the appropriate forum for basic reading material on this subject. Then you can frame your questions in a more informed way. Ultimately, you may have specific radio questions for this forum, but the time is not now.

Good luck with your project.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:34 PM
Joined Oct 2014
14 Posts
How can I move this thread to another section then? Or must I create a new one? And to which section?
Old Oct 17, 2014, 03:31 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,770 Posts
Use the "Report this Post to a Moderator" button and ask for the thread to be moved. It sounds like "Multirotor Electronics" is the forum you want.

Or close this thread (under Thread Tools) and start a new one if you now have a better idea of what questions you need answering. But just "tell me everything about how RC works" isn't likely to get you much useful.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Closed Thread