HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
Yes way!
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts
Discussion
How do you store your RC stuff?

Im starting to amass a `large collection of misc stuff that I need to keep in my condo. The wife only allows me one room so Im just asking how you guys store your servo/esc/motors/tools ect! Let me know, they are just in a gym bag right now. I was thinking maybe a tackle box or something with large enough drawers! Ideas?
whirl10 is offline Find More Posts by whirl10
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:52 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,779 Posts
There are a few threads down in the 'Similar Threads' list, (just scroll down), that may help.

I tend to use ice cream tubs for many components, with a shelf for Tx's. You don't want to have to open a box and search through it each time.

Best thing is, "a place for everything, and everything in it's place". Or translation, always keep things in the same place and always put them back there. That way you get to know where that 'thingymajig' is that you need each time.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
Yes way!
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts
Nice! Ill look into that. I was thinking of of something like this for the small stuff. I only have a few TXs which I can throw on the closet shelf. What do ya think?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:06 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,225 Posts
I use dollar store bins. I prefer the rectangular ones in different sizes. Small ones for small parts, bigger bins for transmitters and the like. Rectangular shape saves space compared to round containers.

Get shelving to lay these bins on.

Storing the planes is a bigger challenge though.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:25 PM
Yes way!
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts
Yea. I saw a guy who had a nice layout with wooden brackets and laid the nose forward againts the wall. had 7 of them lined up on the wall. I think ill try that. Like this.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1635930
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Nov 2012
61 Posts
For your transmitter nothing beats a pistol case. You can get the plastic compact kind from Plano and just cut out as much foam as you need. For everything else Im not really sure as im new to flight but not new to RC.

Back when I raced electric offroad I had this thing called the "wing tote" and the company oritionally started making products for carying airplanes but made several models for rc car enthusiests. So Might look for something like that. Some of the Plano satchels to carry all your bits and peices and all your tools. Maybe a feild box. I saw a guy use a cary on tool bag as a feild box and it looked pretty cool. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...electedIndex=1 Just to give you an idea of what im talking about.

Or you could get one of the more elaborate models with spaces for you charger and starter and glow exciter (if your into Nitro planes)

Good Luck
Sean Scott
darkscope001 is offline Find More Posts by darkscope001
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Nov 2012
61 Posts
Oh sorry i misread the topic how to store them. The way I have my current airplane was I put a drywall ancor up into my celing and then put a hook into the drywall ancor. Tied some 12lb clear fishing line into some loops and put some 3/16 clear vinly tubing over it for the airplane to rest on. Then tied a perfection not on the end of each length of the fishing line.

I start by looping the line under the wings and moving the length of vinly tubing so that the wings rest on the tubing and not the fishing line. then hook the perfection loops over the hook and suspending the airplane. Gives that "its really flying look" when its stored in your house. Im at work right now but when I get home I can take a picture and make a diagram of my rig.

Thanks
Sean Scott
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
976 Posts
Fishing tackle boxes seem good.I feel things need to be on display, if not you need to be very rigorous about storing things correctly.Many times I have wasted money buying things I have already got,because I can't find them.Oh well, I guess that is how the consumer/capitalist society gets by!
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined Nov 2012
61 Posts
I agree that tackle boxes and satchels are a good way to accidentaly misplace stuff you already bought. But you should assign boxes to different dutys. One box for one kind of part and another for different kinds. Do "toolbox checks" like on real aircraft. When im done with my shift for the day. at about 0500 I start cleaning up and make sure i have evrything and clean it and put it back in my box. Then once I have everything. I open each drawer individually and take account for all tools. If I cant find one I get back on the airplane in the area i was working and find it.

Also it never hurts to go though and see what you have and need. because remember "its better to have and not need, than to not have and need."

Thanks
Sean Scott
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:58 AM
Yes way!
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts
Yea. Im going to try that tackle idea and label the drawers. As for The txs, i like tbe pistol case.......as for hanging the planes ....thats exactly what i do but im funning out of room. Lol
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:14 AM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
I have this one that I use at home and at the field.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_391726-82673...age&facetInfo=

The wheels are nice because it WILL get heavy quickly.

Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:09 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirl10 View Post
Im starting to amass a `large collection of misc stuff that I need to keep in my condo. The wife only allows me one room so Im just asking how you guys store your servo/esc/motors/tools ect! Let me know, they are just in a gym bag right now. I was thinking maybe a tackle box or something with large enough drawers! Ideas?
I use a toolbox from Harbor Freight for a flight box as well as keeping my tools in there along with other bits n bobs.

For motors servos and such I have a large plastic bin I keep them in. Just a typical $10 bin from Wally World.

My planes I hang by the landing gear from the wall.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:27 AM
Yes way!
Joined Oct 2012
46 Posts
Thats interesting about the landing gear. I guess they are deployed and you just have a bracket or something on the wall to mount them on? You dont have an issue of bending/warping?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:32 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Haven't had issue so far. I've got a near 6 lb trainer .40 hanging from main gear for almost a year now and it hasn't hurt them. Same with my PZ bf 109 and a few other planes.

I use these hooks And picture hanging wire. To loop around the gear.

In this pic in upper left you can just see the tail of my 109, and in the upper right you can just see the spinner and prop of the trainer.

dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker