SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:07 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,779 Posts
Discussion
So you've clipped a prop on the ground taking-off. Is it Ok ?

A big problem ?

It can be. Make sure you give it a thorough check.

This is the prop of my 72" Spitfire, a fairly biggy at 15" x 8", and unless I am careful during take-off, the nose will drop enough for the prop to 'cut the grass'.

After landing I checked the tips to see how bad they were. Mmmm!, that's not going to polish out.

Back home I knew it would need some work, so off came the 4" spinner, and........Arrrg!...what's that mark on the blades.....

With my right glasses on, that 'mark' turned out to be splits in the blades caused by the blades 'micro stopping', (sounds technical ). Well stopping for a fraction of a second from the ground strike, but......the heavy spinner obviously did not, and tried to cut the blades off.

With the spinner on, the cuts were hardly noticable. I hate to think were the blade(s) would go if they had come off, plus the vibration could have wrecked the motor mount, nose, who knows what...

So PLEASE check props thoroughly after a ground strike and when you use a spinner.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:54 PM
Arizona Fun
Casa Grande Arizona
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Once only...

Good point. Only happened to me once that there was more damage than the prop tip. My dog likes to chase my planes on takeoff. On roll out of my Flyzone Corvalis he chased it but I didn't think it hit him at all but there was a slight vibration during the flight. I inspected the dog & prop and saw no damage. Next flight there was a loud vibrating noise above mid throttle so I brought it in but still could see no prop damage, figured the motor or mount came loose. At home I couldn't find anything loose. Then I pulled the spinner off and saw a crack at the hub. The Flyzone props are pretty cheap & flimsy so I am replacing it with an APC slow flyer prop...
ArizonaFun is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaFun
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,077 Posts
I replace any prop that has any visible damage, has had any sudden stoppage for any reason or even just knicked the tip. They're too inexpensive with too much at stake if they fail to not do this IMHO. This is just my own habit based on more than once seeing what can happen when a prop fails.

Ray-good catch and fortunately nothing bad happened.
tsymonds is online now Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Joined May 2004
566 Posts
Good post. Thanks.
Sit-N-Fly is offline Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly