Old Jan 21, 2011, 01:21 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Discussion
Problem with old Cosel power supply

How about a blast from the past???

Do you guys remember those Cosel power supplies that were so popular back in 2003-2004? Well, my brothers and I bought a few of them. They were cheap and worked well.

Anyway, one of them quit working and it was given to me to see if I could do anything to fix it. Well, it sat in a box for several years until I found it the other day and decided to figure out what was wrong with it. When it was plugged in, the little red LED would come on for a second or two and then fade out. Measuring the voltage across the pos/neg would give a reading for a brief moment and then go to zero.

So I turned to our friend the search function and searched this sub-forum for answers. Within a few minutes, I found this post that described my exact problem.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=73

Hmm...lemme keep reading. In post 75, the idea of jumping the voltage sense terminals to the main terminals. Sounded like a good thing to try, so I grabbed some wire and made the jumpers. Sure enough, it powered up and gave me 11.xx volts. A little fiddling with the trim pot got the voltage up to 12.0 volts. Easy fix!

So if you've got one of these just laying around because you think it's dead, give this fix a try. Maybe this will help somebody out.

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2011, 01:45 AM
Southern Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
604 Posts
Still have mine and still using it. I also have a spare one just in case the first one craps out. Certainly couldn't beat the price at the time. Good old Cosel power supplies.

Chris
Tomahawk is offline Find More Posts by Tomahawk
Old Jan 21, 2011, 10:28 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
Me too. It still gives good service and stays in the truck for when I find 110 at a field to charge from. Good link!

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:14 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,850 Posts
Just so you know, ALL supplies with separate sense lines should have them connected to the outputs, one way or another. They are separate so you can connect them directly to the load, so the supply can compensate for voltage loss in the power carrying wires. If those wires are fat enough, or a few tenths of a volt don't matter, short them at the supply.
Wintr is online now Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:56 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
My Lord, I thought Howard was dead!!~

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Aug 09, 2011, 03:10 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
How about a blast from the past???

Do you guys remember those Cosel power supplies that were so popular back in 2003-2004? Well, my brothers and I bought a few of them. They were cheap and worked well.

Anyway, one of them quit working and it was given to me to see if I could do anything to fix it. Well, it sat in a box for several years until I found it the other day and decided to figure out what was wrong with it. When it was plugged in, the little red LED would come on for a second or two and then fade out. Measuring the voltage across the pos/neg would give a reading for a brief moment and then go to zero.

So I turned to our friend the search function and searched this sub-forum for answers. Within a few minutes, I found this post that described my exact problem.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=73

Hmm...lemme keep reading. In post 75, the idea of jumping the voltage sense terminals to the main terminals. Sounded like a good thing to try, so I grabbed some wire and made the jumpers. Sure enough, it powered up and gave me 11.xx volts. A little fiddling with the trim pot got the voltage up to 12.0 volts. Easy fix!

So if you've got one of these just laying around because you think it's dead, give this fix a try. Maybe this will help somebody out.

Andy
i have the cosel power supply but it haven't sense terminal...The problem is same with above....can u help me?
decastenza is offline Find More Posts by decastenza
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:50 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,850 Posts
If they didn't build it with external sense terminals, the sense lines must be connected internally. Look at the circuit board, where the sense terminals would be, if they were installed, to see if there are jumpers soldered to the + and - terminals. It could be a poor solder joint that has given up, and just needs re-soldering.
Wintr is online now Find More Posts by Wintr