Old Sep 18, 2011, 09:13 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
Raizinmoon.

Good going!!

You and EraJomppa should check in with Blackboots a few threads back...(Complete Beginner (first build..first stage). He's building the EZyfly...first build for him on his way to FPV flying and he's coming along very well with it. Exchanging experience with the same plane, especially on a first build is invaluable.

Regards,

Hankg
I am welcome to any information! The more I know the more educated decisions I can make. If you have time please do, I posted my plea for help at post #730.

Thank you,
~Blackboots
blackboots1337 is offline Find More Posts by blackboots1337
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2011, 06:18 AM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Between my tx and crashed aircraft
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
A while back, I remember somebody asking about building an EzFly with 6mm thick EPP instead of the standard 9mm EPP.
I was wondering if anybody has done a build with 6mm EPP and what their experiences were.
I am thinking of building with 6mm EPP and adding ailerons to the back of the wing (after taking out the dihedral, ala posts #486 and #512). This should make for really low wing loading
flying-llama is offline Find More Posts by flying-llama
Old Sep 19, 2011, 10:55 AM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
flying-llama,

When you build these EPP planes with 6mm EPP a few things change.

1. You should use 1.9 # material for added stiffness.
2. You will probably have to use 1x4 carbon flat stock on edge for wing reinforcement.
3. You will be using some 1mm carbon rod to reinforce the fusalage and stop twisting, or
cut a 1x4 carbon flat in the fusalage similar to the wing.

I've tried all of the above on a Super Slo 28" when I made one out of 6mm EPP. It came out the same weight a 9mm build would have due to the extra carbon and glue for rigidity.

I agree with you on your idea to build one of the planes with a straight wing and use it for an aileron trainer, just don't make the ailerons to wide. I've been wondering why Mike hasn't offered this plane with a straight wing with ailerons, as the plane to learn on, before you go to the Yak 55. The motors high, you could probably take it off right out of the grass etc.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Last edited by hankg; Sep 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:47 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Jul 2011
29 Posts
Completed EzFly

Well here is the completed 60" EzFly Oh and the NEW NOSE piece (Servo reversed on TX) down on stick was supposed to be up---- opps and it broke my keychain camera
Ezfly Opps (1 min 46 sec)
Raizinmoon is offline Find More Posts by Raizinmoon
Last edited by Raizinmoon; Sep 19, 2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:02 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Raizinmoon,

Nice work! What size motor and ESC do you have on board?

Regards,

Hankg
Old Sep 19, 2011, 02:41 PM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Jul 2011
29 Posts
motor = http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8139
ESC = http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11618
Battery = http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8912
Raizinmoon is offline Find More Posts by Raizinmoon
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:26 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
flying-llama,
Thanks. It sounds like with 6mm EPP, if I do not scale down a bit, I will just have a good amount of extra work and expense just to get back to the same weight as with 9mm EPP.

Quote:
I agree with you on your idea to build one of the planes with a straight wing and use it for an aileron trainer, just don't make the ailerons to wide.
A question. By not "too wide", do you mean not too long in the span direction,
or not too long in the leading/trailing edge direction? Or perhaps both?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:08 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
flying-llama,

Check out these design parameters. You may have to use two servos and a Y connector for the ailerons, since the fusalage is so thick, but it should be an interesting plane to fly. Also, use a longer piece of 3mm carbon in the wing. When you scale, make sure the distance between the rear of the wing and the front of the horizontal stabilizer stays at the new width of the wing -10% of the new width. When the plane was scale up, that distance grew and resulted in a problem with C.G. location.

Raisinmoon...thanks for the data.

Regards,

Hankg
Last edited by hankg; Sep 19, 2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: another idea and spelling
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:44 PM
Kansas, USA
Joined Sep 1999
4,004 Posts
If you can fly the EzFly then you can fly any of the 32" acro planes that I have and they will be much better flying. Just for the sake of doing it I may throw one together and see how it does.
Mike

Quote:
flying-llama,

1. You should use 1.9 # material for added stiffness.
2. You will probably have to use 1x4 carbon flat stock on edge for wing reinforcement.
3. You will be using some 1mm carbon rod to reinforce the fusalage and stop twisting, or
cut a 1x4 carbon flat in the fusalage similar to the wing.

I've tried all of the above on a Super Slo 28" when I made one out of 6mm EPP. It came out the same weight a 9mm build would have due to the extra carbon and glue for rigidity.

I agree with you on your idea to build one of the planes with a straight wing and use it for an aileron trainer, just don't make the ailerons to wide. I've been wondering why Mike hasn't offered this plane with a straight wing with ailerons, as the plane to learn on, before you go to the Yak 55. The motors high, you could probably take it off right out of the grass etc.

Regards,

Hankg
motorhead is offline Find More Posts by motorhead
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
motorhead,

Looking forward to what you come up with. I've often thought that the EZFly had a lot of potential as a first aileron trainer and with some slight modification, an FPV plane.

You market a great set of planes.

Regards,

Hankg
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
motorhead,

Looking forward to what you come up with. I've often thought that the EZFly had a lot of potential as a first aileron trainer and with some slight modification, an FPV plane.

You market a great set of planes.

Regards,

Hankg
I love my EzFly its really easy to fly [haha, bad jokes aside] With my scale version (the standard size) on a 2S lipo has trouble lifting an extra 100grams. I am +10g on the battery and +10g on the RX + the 80g camera, full open and I have trouble climbing.

The slight modification you speak of would be? Scaling the whole plane up?

Back to my note of it being easy to fly, I just had my 4th flight with it this morning and I was able to do some loops and super tight corners, never once did I feel the plane was out of control, In most rolls or sharp turns the plane wants to come back to level and you have to tell it not to. Truly a fun and easy plane to fly! Thanks motorhead for the plans / parts / plane!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 11:48 AM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Blackboots,

I'm thinking you have a 7" prop on the plane. If you go to a 3S on your plane, theoretically your prop RPM should increase by close to 1/3 of what you're getting out of a 2S. Your amp draw will also go up, so if you try this don't fly the plane flat out without landing it after half a minute and feeling how hot the motor and ESC are. The increase in amps could burn out the ESC!

That aluminum mount that came with the motor makes a good mount to put on the side of your work bench so that you can mount the motor, a watt meter, ESC and battery and check your power draw with different batteries and props. I would not go over a 3S battery with that motor!

Sounds like you've successfully taken that first step to FPV flying!

Regards,

Hankg

Post Script...You ought to plug your plane's specs with a 2S and 3S into Moto Calc and see the theoretical difference

http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/softw.../webocalc.html
Last edited by hankg; Sep 20, 2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: another thought bubbled up!
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:25 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
flying-llama,

Check out these design parameters. ...
Thanks. I remember seeing that attachment from somewhere before.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 04:30 PM
Sopwith Camel's Cousin
Joined Mar 2006
3,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
If you can fly the EzFly then you can fly any of the 32" acro planes that I have and they will be much better flying. Just for the sake of doing it I may throw one together and see how it does.
Mike
My interest in a 4 ch. EzFly is due to it having a more protected prop.
I fly in a small area that has trees and buildings.
Also, all my 4 channel planes so far have had elevons, and I would like to try a 4 channel plane that does not.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined Dec 2010
150 Posts
Quote:
Blackboots,

I'm thinking you have a 7" prop on the plane. If you go to a 3S on your plane, theoretically your prop RPM should increase by close to 1/3 of what you're getting out of a 2S. Your amp draw will also go up, so if you try this don't fly the plane flat out without landing it after half a minute and feeling how hot the motor and ESC are. The increase in amps could burn out the ESC!

That aluminum mount that came with the motor makes a good mount to put on the side of your work bench so that you can mount the motor, a watt meter, ESC and battery and check your power draw with different batteries and props. I would not go over a 3S battery with that motor!

Sounds like you've successfully taken that first step to FPV flying!

Regards,

Hankg

Post Script...You ought to plug your plane's specs with a 2S and 3S into Moto Calc and see the theoretical difference

http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/softw.../webocalc.html
Thanks, my current amp draw is 3.5 amps at full throttle. On my 2S. Thanks for the info though.