Yes 26 49.06%
No 27 50.94%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 13, 2014, 05:32 AM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,311 Posts
Brighton Boat Works MMX14 vs Kantun showdown coming soon.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2014, 04:21 AM
Joined Oct 2013
256 Posts
on the subject of Kantun...anyone's verdict on the Croatian sails, a sailor at local club said replacing with traditional sails as not impressed? me think they would be ideal for drifting conditions?
iicaptain is offline Find More Posts by iicaptain
Old Dec 15, 2014, 02:31 PM
Joined Mar 2012
237 Posts
The molded sails are getting better. However, so far they appear less versatile and "tuneable" across all wind ranges than conventional sails.
Tom Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:08 AM
Joined Oct 2013
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett View Post
The molded sails are getting better. However, so far they appear less versatile and "tuneable" across all wind ranges than conventional sails.
cheers...yep, think thats might be a valid assessment...could say the jury is still out then
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:36 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
Here is the pic pulled from Facebook. Probably a modified version of a MX14 , just a guess. Don't know why anyone would get all butt hurt because of a new boat being made.
This picture was taken in Thailand last weekend during the Kings Regatta. The builder is still testing the yacht as he has some tweaking to do. The regatta was won by the KantunS with 3D moulded sails.
Cheers!
scully is offline Find More Posts by scully
Old Dec 16, 2014, 09:55 PM
Canada, BC, Lake Cowichan
Joined Jul 2011
531 Posts
The 2015 World Championship web site is now listing the names of the skippers from each country.

http://www.usaiomworlds.com/Entries

To read the list, the skippers in Round 1 are confirmed.

The skippers designated for Round 2 allocation are shown .

Then there are waiting lists in case someone drops out.

John
hiljoball is online now Find More Posts by hiljoball
Old Dec 17, 2014, 02:05 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
Looks Like all the big names are on the list. Will be interesting to see the outcome of this years IOM Worlds. No doubt each will be contesting their own design against the next for a place in the popularity polls.
Good winds and good luck to all.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:20 PM
Joined Oct 2013
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully View Post
This picture was taken in Thailand last weekend during the Kings Regatta. The builder is still testing the yacht as he has some tweaking to do. The regatta was won by the KantunS with 3D moulded sails.
Cheers!
[Quote] me think they would be ideal for drifting conditions?[Quote]
Old Dec 18, 2014, 04:04 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
I have sailed with a few sails. Power sails, Sailsetc sails, and the 3D Sails.
It is my opinion the 3d sails are very effective in low wind conditions to a point where you may be the only one moving... Having said that, they are equally good in high wind conditions but may not be better than the rest.

As far as tuning is concerned, they tend to be a little more baggy than I prefer but if it works, don't fix it.

I do not change my tuning too much because the conditions on the water are never constant and the only changes I make is the draft camber which I alter according to water conditions so I am not too concerned with "tune-a-bility".

One aspect that I really like about the 3D sails is that they do not wrinkle easily and maintain their shape if kept for extended periods of time.

Cheers
Old Dec 19, 2014, 09:08 AM
Joined Oct 2013
256 Posts
thanks for insight...sometimes we change for change sake which does not always bring progress... we just do a 360 instead
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
Gringo42
Mexico, NAY, Riviera Nayarit
Joined Jul 2014
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully View Post
I have sailed with a few sails. Power sails, Sailsetc sails, and the 3D Sails.
It is my opinion the 3d sails are very effective in low wind conditions to a point where you may be the only one moving... Having said that, they are equally good in high wind conditions but may not be better than the rest.

As far as tuning is concerned, they tend to be a little more baggy than I prefer but if it works, don't fix it.

I do not change my tuning too much because the conditions on the water are never constant and the only changes I make is the draft camber which I alter according to water conditions so I am not too concerned with "tune-a-bility".

One aspect that I really like about the 3D sails is that they do not wrinkle easily and maintain their shape if kept for extended periods of time.

Cheers
Any chance there will be a flatter version available ?
Gringo42 is offline Find More Posts by Gringo42
Old Today, 12:59 PM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2004
112 Posts
I heard that ZJ was experimenting with a new set of sails but i do not have any details as yet. He did alter the rig setup though.
Cheers