Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 19, 2001, 11:56 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Gus Morfis Plans?

I have a set of Gus's plans, but the canopy is going to be a problem. Short of carving a plug and pulling my own, are there other options? Does Gus sell canopies for his plans?

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2001, 01:12 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
Some of the stuff for Morfis plans can be found at Turnkey RC www.turnkeyrc.com

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jul 19, 2001, 05:19 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
I emailed and received a response from Gus. No canopy available, and this one is going to be tough. I may have to pull my own, which I dont look forward to.

I am building (as soon as I get the Ryan P-47 flying - hopefully sunday!), the BF-110 twin for sp400. It looks like a sweet build, and shouldnt be too hard to get done. The canopy looks like a fargin' green house though!

Greg
Old Jul 20, 2001, 12:29 AM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Greg,

Jeff Weiss at Airkill Products (search on the Web or look in RC magazines) carries many of the bits--cowls and canopies--to finish off Gus' designs.

I'm working on pulling my own canopies--call me a cheapskate.

What model are you building?

Brian Nixon
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
Old Jul 20, 2001, 08:29 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
What about being a real bum and seeing if the canopy off the Velkom kit will fit? Are the airplanes the same size?

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jul 20, 2001, 09:40 AM
Over-engineered
Ridgecrest, CA
Joined Nov 1998
1,034 Posts
Greg~

Do you necessarily have to use a clear canopy? When I was building my Me410, I was faced with the same problem, and on the 410 the canopy is even nastier than the 110. I cheated and built mine out of blue foam, glassed it, and painted the windows in (have fun masking!) with a metallic light blue. The canopy, by the way, also doubled as a battery hatch, so that I could build the airframe all in one piece and still get to everything. I don't have a really great picture of the canopy, but you can look here to at least get a look at it. I'll save molding a clear canopy for when I double the wingspan

~Phil

[This message has been edited by Bf109G (edited 07-20-2001).]
Bf109G is offline Find More Posts by Bf109G
Old Jul 20, 2001, 09:59 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
BF-I really do want a clear canopy, and may end up carving a plug to have Ken Williams at K&A pull one off for me (its nice having him a few miles away!).

Where did you get the plans for the 410? That is one sweet looking ship!

Greg
Old Jul 20, 2001, 11:00 AM
Over-engineered
Ridgecrest, CA
Joined Nov 1998
1,034 Posts
Thanks Greg!

The 410 is my own design... there's really not much out there for this one, so I started with a good 3-view and went from there.

Have you tried McClain Wing cores?
mcclainwingcores@uswest.net

He shows up on e-bay once in a while selling cores for the morfis plans, you might try contacting him about finding a canopy.

Have you given any thought to your power setup for the 110?
Bf109G is offline Find More Posts by Bf109G
Old Jul 20, 2001, 11:43 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
I am guessing you dont have plans then for the 410? The 110 will be twin 6v400 direct drives with 6.5x4 props (graupner semi-scale jobs). I probably wont start on it until the beginning of August as I am gone on family business until then.

Greg
Old Jul 20, 2001, 08:53 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,073 Posts
Carve and sand blue foam to canopy shape, then cut masking tape in widths you need for canopy framing. Use multiple layers of the tape to build up the framing. Coat the canopy with vaseline. This is your release agent.I use a small vac former but you can use the plunge method with good results. Mount the form upright on a dowel and heat plastic in oven till it sags well in holder. Pull out and plunge down over form. It will cool rapidly. Trim and presto!, your new canopy.
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jul 21, 2001, 12:02 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,878 Posts
Making a canopy is causing you this much concern??
Try making a blue foam plug, easy and quick enough??
stick it inside of a POP bottle (ends cut off) of suitable size and heat with your heat gun.. repeat with a new bottle untill it works to your satisfaction
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 21, 2001, 12:10 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Calm down Bare, I said it was the only area of concern for me. Thanks for the pop bottle info, I may give that a go as well.

Greg