HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2004, 11:49 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2004
167 Posts
I flew my GWS P-51 for the first time...WOW

I finished glassing my GWS P-51 the other day. It came to 17.7 ounces. I had to add 3/4 of an ounce to the nose to make it balance right. Total 18.5 ounces now. ALWAY TRIPLE CHECK YOUR CG!!! I am using a 6.6 box with a 9X7 GWS prop with a elfite 370-5400. I flew it for the first time today.....All I can say is Holy #$@%. This is the fastest thing I have ever flown! It's scary fast. I'm using 3s1p TP 2100 Gen 2. I flew mostly at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and the batteries were only slightly warm. I could not touch the motor because there is no room for a finger in there. It flew 15-20 minutes. I performed the biggest loops in my life. Being that it weighs alot more than my 15 ounce Zero you do land it a little faster. But this thing screams! The rolls were very fast and precise. Once it got going really fast ,it produced an awesome growl. It sounded like a real warbird diving in for a kill.
I filled in the panel lines with spackle and did not notice any tip stalling AT ALL! Do not let these old post about tip stalling and the GWS P-51 bad tendencies keep you from buying this kit. Just fill the lines in with spackle, it's soooo easy.
This was a very fun build project....Even more fun to fly!
Electricman is offline Find More Posts by Electricman
Last edited by Electricman; Aug 20, 2004 at 11:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2004, 06:16 AM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
I flew my P51 for the first time this morning. I've added thin carbon fibre strips between the fuselage side and some on the sides too, plus around the hatch. With a Himax 2015-4100 brushless plus a 1500mAh 3s1p lipo it weighs 14 oz. I've stuck with the standard gearbox plus a 10x8 prop and the first hand launch was a none event - it shot off like a rocket. I needed to add some down trim to stop it climbing but other than that it needed no adjustment. With the first flight and landing out of the way, I can't see why its got the reputation it has. I drifted it in slowly for the first landing and it just sailed on, slowing it down brought it in really easy, although the wind was a little stronger and gusty than I would have prefered.

My Corsair has the same setup and weighs 19oz, handlauches are just a gentle shove and its odd, the Mustang at 14oz just rips out of my hand, all I do is let go!

I was testing on a local park and the football posts are up for the new season. Last flight I was heading towards one of the posts so tried to miss it, though I had but as I was side on I misjudged the distance and hit the post - slap bang in the middle of the spinner! I couldn't do that again if I tried. Minimal damage all repaired and looking forward to a less gusty day.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Aug 24, 2004, 07:28 AM
Is it summer yet?
Flight Level 46 X 92
Joined Feb 2002
1,999 Posts
Electricman;

can you detail the power system you used a bit more? I know the motor, but what gearbox did you use and did the Eflite motor bolt right in? What pinion gear, ESC etc.?
I've been wanting to do this same thing, but have not quite firgured out everything. Your experience would be very valuable.
I have a GWS P51 that I added wood control surfaces, and some other mods for strength and increased aerobatic ability and have wanted to go to a brushless system. It weighs about the same as yours.

Thanks.
gouda is offline Find More Posts by gouda
Last edited by gouda; Aug 24, 2004 at 07:31 AM.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:25 PM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
I've also got an E-flite 370 which comes complete with an adapter to fit straight into the standard GWS gearbox.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:16 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2004
167 Posts
Gouda- I used a "D" box (6.6) with a "D" pinion. ESC is a CC 25. The motor bolts right in with the included adapter to the GWS gearbox. You may have to change the pinion that comes with the 370 motor to match your gear ratio. I reccomend this set up.... It flies great. 15 to 20 min flight times on the tp 2100 11.1 cells.... they do not get hot at all.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:27 AM
know it all
Miami, Fl
Joined Nov 2003
2,949 Posts
Congratulations!.. did you notice how rigid the control surfaces became after you glassed then?

Herm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electricman
I finished glassing my GWS P-51 the other day. It came to 17.7 ounces.
hermperez is offline Find More Posts by hermperez
Old Aug 25, 2004, 12:29 PM
Rejisterd Youzer
Rolla, MO
Joined Apr 2004
933 Posts
Could you post a picture of what lines you filled in with spackle? Oh, and what exactly is spackle?

Thanks
SU Jags is offline Find More Posts by SU Jags
Old Aug 25, 2004, 03:04 PM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2004
167 Posts
You just fill the panel lines on the top of the wing.... Spackle is what is used to fill holes in walls... You can get lightweight spackle at the hardware store

The control surfaces are very solid now. The plane is still flying great!