7,179 Posts
Was trying to work out if it was some kinda drag spar
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:49 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Ah! I expect this is to protect the covering? Looks neater as well.

Well one thing I would say - this thing is actually pretty fragile. Been speding too much time on full house speed machines with lots of carbon fibre. It's strong enough - as in fit for purpose, just need to be careful handling it....
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:52 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Hahaha, I get that with the prelude too, Ive made the wing go into some funny shapes while being a little too sporting with it
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Mar 2006
66 Posts
I assume you are entertaining suggestions for e-gliders? Icare has a 2m LMR competition model called the Magellan-E. It comes in 2m and 2.5 "XL" sizes. The 2m size has space under the tail for the tail servos, and up front there's plenty of room for an outrunner, whatever battery you want, and in my case, FPV gear (autopilot, OSD, BEC, lots of wiring).

I love how it flies (or at least did, before I put all that FPV junk in it). A real pussycat and I can land it on a dime. I'd get another (and may, unless I can find something better).
b5ff is offline Find More Posts by b5ff
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:10 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
I maidened the Culex today. A bit windy to be honest but that appears to never be a barrier for me!

Not a great flight - climb was really good on 150 watts (maybe 60-80 degrees), but power off it wanted to dive like a lead balloon! Not sure why - the C of G was correct, I guess the incidence is off. Easy enough to change as the horizontal stab is bolted on.

More tinkeing and fune tuning I guess!
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:38 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,179 Posts
Weird, does sound like an incidence/decalage thing though.

Had so much lift here today we were trying to circle in thermals inverted to make it a bit more sporting
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,443 Posts
Hmmmm. Are you absolutely sure that your prop was folding? I have inadvertently turned off the brake on my ESC a couple times and a sailplane simply won't soar if the prop is windmilling. You also might simply have too much down trim in order to get level flight under a power. A glider, or any plane with a lifting airfoil, will want to climb under power. The faster you go? The stronger the pitch up. One always wants to trim a glider while it's gliding and then deal with the pitch up under power. I usually just hold a bit of down elevator but, assuming your radio is capable, you can always mix elevator with throttle. Best of luck.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
I am... it was folded fine. I took a good look at the model and hey presto! The tail plane has miraculously warped since it was installed. The plane was also turning as it dive. So I had warp created down trim and turn - no wonder it glided like a pig!

Not a problem, a bit of work with a iron and the tail is now perfect. I've decided to still shim the horizontal stab as I'm convinced the decalage is not perfect.

More tests to follow including some C of G dives....
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Got out at lunchtime today in light lift / calm conditions. A super test! She's a LOT better with a shimmed tail. Still a tendency to bank left, and further investigation revealed one wing is slightly heavier than the other. Easily fixed.

Got 60 minutes flying on a 1500 mah battery - no idea how empty the pack is though. With the plane better trimmed I could fly it skywards with better control, and it goes up at probably 80 , which is really nice.

Overall I'm pretty happy, I think I've only scratched the surface with the performance potential of this plane, so lots of fine tuning to do but that's half the fun!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
You guys idea of 'budget' sure isn't the same as mine,haha.
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Apr 15, 2013, 02:16 AM
Jim in Santee
United States, CA, Santee
Joined Oct 2001
194 Posts
I have a Culex that I have been flying since last summer. I have my CG at 77mm back from the leading edge - which is right at the back edge of the spar. For me, it provides good thermal performance while still maintaining decent handling. However, it's less forgiving at this aft of a CG so you really have to stay on top of the plane in tight turns. I too, found that one wing was heavier than the other and the plane flew better after I added the appropriate weight to the opposite wing.

It's a good thermal plane, especially in lighter conditions.
jshelton is offline Find More Posts by jshelton
Last edited by jshelton; Apr 15, 2013 at 02:30 AM.