HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2011, 04:59 PM
Tom.D
United States, NJ, Bayonne
Joined Mar 2008
29 Posts
Discussion
Couple Questions LAND FPV

Hi guys , been doing alot of research over the last 2 weeks , and im New to FPV but im wanting to do Land right now because i know how expensive air fpv can get. After i log about 20 hrs of flight ill consider it.

Even though i kinda know what i need i would feel alot better if i only have to buy something once lol

So if i can i would like help from the professionals and those who have the experience

-Budget $300-$400USD --

-- What i want to do--

Basically Drive around the park . No more then 1/2 mile typical less then a 1/4 since the park isnt that huge. Is audio possible? Also Record ?

-- What i Already have --
72mhz futaba radio , Traxxas Stampede VXL and 10+ years of RC Experience

edit - also i live in a city , so i was thinking of 1280mhz for the video since theres so meny wifi/cell phones in the area that would kick out 900mhz and 2.4 right?
Courage68 is offline Find More Posts by Courage68
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 05:36 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,368 Posts
Depending on your area (flat or hilly) 1/2 mile is doable, but something that's taken a while to get to for myself (on flat ground). 1/4 mile is more reasonable.

While 1280 is fine, I recommend 5.8g for something like you're suggesting since you don't need 1280 to do what you want, and 1280 is a limited freq in FPV (meaning if someone else has it you can't FPV together). Basically, in my opinion 1280 is rushed too and recommended far too often when there are other options that leave for more frequency sharing and get equal performance in many settings. With 5.8 you simply switch channels if there is conflict.

Remember, whatever video link you choose you WON'T really be able to go behind objects with much density. People are often let down with video performance on ground vehicles because not enough consideration is taken to the impeding objects and antenna placement (up high, and then higher!).... and well, you just don't get as far as in the air.

This is my recommendation for your setup (which will require a HAM Technicians License to use legally):

Video Link - 5.8 ImmersionRC 600mw Transmitter
Radio - 72mhz is fine if you have enough channels. I use the Futaba 10C and it has given me the most range so far.
Rx - Get a Corona synthesized Rx for the radio signal
Video Antenna - BluBeam 5.8G
Video Receiver - Use this Airwave Video Rx (Note* you might need to make a slight modification the Vrx module to work with the BluBeam antenna... fix is here and can be found searching)
Video Camera - I use the GoPro as my record and live feed camera and really like it for a ground vehicle. Not good in low light however, and there are better OSD cameras for much less if you just want standard def picture (and based on your budget, I don't think this will all work).

Here's what's been done with this setup I recommend:

FPV - Tonka Summit Rally Run - OSD Footage - 5.8g Video Link (4 min 24 sec)

Driving home from 0.58 miles out in a Tonka Summit with 5.8G Video Link (3 min 0 sec)

Dirt Doggin' - You've never seen FPV like this before (3 min 52 sec)

FPV - Ground Pounding - Tonka Summit Mayhem (2 min 2 sec)
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Last edited by CaliDave; Dec 24, 2011 at 06:21 PM.