Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:41 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
Definitely! Flies like a dream. Oh and by the way, I set my travel settings to 70% for FLP and RRU in the servo setup menu.
Cool thanks! Will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Electric, i would save and note all of big east's mixes, but fly the plane first. Get normal with the plane, learn how to do boomerangs.
Add big easts modifications when you want another dimension. You will not get bored, speed brakes are more a cool thing than practical, the stryker q is one of the most uniquely aerobatic planes you find ever.
-harriers
-elevators
-tic tocs
-inverted elevator
-falling leaf
-inverted boomerang
-upright boomerange
-cobra manuever
and more providing your imagination is up to the task. Fly the plane and know the plane first, if youre not completely sure of a lot of things the mixes may inadverdently affect flight, will drastically increase the steep learning curve of how to max your fun with this plane.
The only reason i havent done Big Easts's mixing is that i have a lowly dx6i, but ive mastered this plane.
Just enjoy the plane for now.

Also beware of how to launch it, this is not correctly written in the manuals, the manual states to throw without throttle, and by the time you get your hand back on the elevator give throttle and up elevator.
This only works for some pilots, for other it ends up with replacement fuselages.
People like Real Gambler and myself have the method of holding it by the LE, where the LE extension meets the main wing, point the nose 30-60 degrees up, full throttle and just let go or toss forward.
The other method is similar to the method in the manual, but with throttle.
And no one(to my knowledge) has had the prop eat their hand.
Okay I guess I will just wait on the mixes then and just use the expo/DR settings given. Thanks for telling me how to hand launch the stryker! I read through the online manual and it didn't seem like that method would work too well. Do you have a source that teaches you how to do all those aerobatic maneuvers? Obviously, I'm not going to try them my first time out, but I would like to have them down somewhere for when I'm ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Totally agree with Airpower. Fly the Stryker first! I still fly it without any mixes today! Well, I did set up the airbrakes, used them for about 3 batteries, as a novelty item, and now, I don't even remember which switch I used! You can stop it on a dime with a Cobra, which is faster than airbrakes and I do all my landings with elevators, so no need to bleed some speed.
Wow seems like this plane will keep you entertained and learning for a good long time! Thats awesome!!! I'm sure if airpower has a source to the aerobatic maneuvers for me it will be in there, but what is a Cobra?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEast View Post
Yeah I agree with all of you. Get very familiar with the plane, have fun with it, and when you feel like it try out another mix or two! I did this setup to show the capability of the dx18 and to help some people have more fun with their stryker!
Ah okay cool thanks! Yeah I will fly it without mixes and get familiar with it first.
electricrc68 is online now Find More Posts by electricrc68
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
240 Posts
Has there been any discussion in this thread about thrust vectoring? I'm thinking of adding a single axis yaw TV system controlled by two servos that are y-harnessed together. I'd probably use something like a swashplate from a 130X connected to a u-joint for the yaw capability and two servos under the fuselage moving the swash. Now how can I attach the motor to the swashplate?
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:07 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Wow seems like this plane will keep you entertained and learning for a good long time! Thats awesome!!! I'm sure if airpower has a source to the aerobatic maneuvers for me it will be in there, but what is a Cobra?
Full stop by raising the nose of your airplane 90 degree very quickly. Works better at some speed than other. Here's a real airplane doing it (only video I could find quickly... That's what I would call an EXTREME cobra, since he's going over 90 degree!!!)

Sukhoi Su-27 executing Cobra maneuver (0 min 17 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined May 2011
4,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Full stop by raising the nose of your airplane 90 degree very quickly. Works better at some speed than other. Here's a real airplane doing it (only video I could find quickly... That's what I would call an EXTREME cobra, since he's going over 90 degree!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DRIx_-usew
WHOA! So basically you just pull the elevator up to make your aircraft 90?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:43 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,793 Posts
Another launch tip I learned somewhere around here is to add a mix to something like your landing gear channel that adds a little up-elevator for launching. So you have the switch at gear-down for launch, which adds a little up-trim, give it a toss, and you have a little more time to get your hand to the tx. Then switch to gear-up, and she's back in trim.
xmech2k is offline Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
Well, becuase of the mass it wont fly forward at a 90 degree angle, it'll stop almost as quick as if you were doing a parachute!
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2011
4,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Another launch tip I learned somewhere around here is to add a mix to something like your landing gear channel that adds a little up-elevator for launching. So you have the switch at gear-down for launch, which adds a little up-trim, give it a toss, and you have a little more time to get your hand to the tx. Then switch to gear-up, and she's back in trim.
Oh okay thanks. Yeah I think BigEast has that mix in his setup list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Well, becuase of the mass it wont fly forward at a 90 degree angle, it'll stop almost as quick as if you were doing a parachute!
Oh okay...well at least it would still be pretty cool! Do you have a source on where I can learn all of these aerobatic maneuvers? I can't seem to find a source.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Oh okay thanks. Yeah I think BigEast has that mix in his setup list.
Yup! Mix 5
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:51 AM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
152 Posts
I noticed while looking for a new servo that parkzone has discontinued the 180 esc and doesn't list a replacement. Looks like the writing is on the wall, wonder if that is a sign a new brick is in the offing?

I think high winds KO-ed one of my rudder servos, dang it! Cleaned the contacts and it's still sticking/quitting...
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumna View Post
I noticed while looking for a new servo that parkzone has discontinued the 180 esc and doesn't list a replacement. Looks like the writing is on the wall, wonder if that is a sign a new brick is in the offing?

I think high winds KO-ed one of my rudder servos, dang it! Cleaned the contacts and it's still sticking/quitting...
kinda excited to see what comes next
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:13 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,989 Posts
A 280 perhaps
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Nov 2011
3,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
A 280 perhaps
that could be cool to have a next size bigger version....
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,044 Posts
I got one of the $99 um strykers straight from HH and I'm a little disappointed. I owned 2 other UM strykers in the past (and several other HH products) and they've always been what I expected them to be, even where there were a few design issues (like with the mcpx, and yeah, they sent me the fixed version free of charge), or if servos would get stuck over time, etc.

Anyhow.. this one stryker has certainly been sleeping in the factory a while/outside or comes from a different batch.

two really minor issues, led me to believe this:

issue 1: motor has some rust (it works fine tho)
issue 2: the servo protection plastics fell off when i took the plane off the box (wheres the glue?)

And 2 major issues are the reason why I'm bothering to list the minor issues:

issue 3: right rudder servo get stuck at -100% in flight at first flight (yes i know it happens on those micro linear servos, but brand new at first flight?) of course, that was fast and low, so it broke the foam (i glued it back). obviously since it broke they don't replace anything ;-) I tested the servo for a long time after that, it get stucks again and again, like the old 'n used linear micro servos guess its bad luck

issue 4: left rudder servo jitters (no small jitter either, it moves by an inch!) and due to this I can't flat spin with it. That one is just over the top for me :P

So yeah basically its currently a brand new stryker with no working rudders, some glue, and which I need to replace 2 servos for I guess.. bleh.

Yay for quality control HH.

/rant over
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,180 Posts
Not good news..................
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:24 PM
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2004
611 Posts
HH might still help you out, but it would've been a lot easier if you had noticed all that before you crashed it. Don't tell them your forums name either :P
AgentCow007 is offline Find More Posts by AgentCow007