HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2013, 07:23 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
Interesting thread! With probably most of use growing up and have something Cox .049 powered it still makes you want to play with them. I've still got a cigar box with a lot of .049's in it including an OK Cub.
I haven't seen this site linked to yet but one most of you might like, http://microhydros.com/ .
I've still got some hardware around from Warehouse hobbies when they had their Bagshot line of boats, a lightweight surface drive strut and rudder with .098" cable but I'd think that a wire drive would be the way to go.
Cox made a free-running .049 boat back in the late `60's as I had one, the thing was a blast! If someone can manage to score one or some of its parts like the flywheel/pull-starter unit that's also a motor mount it would help greatly. Today's micro radio systems are a huge step as I tried a Short Stuff using 148 servo's in the late `70's with a TD .049.
Zippkits makes a very small outrigger that could be adapted for nitro use.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:22 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,234 Posts
I have a unused vintage Fox FAI .074 that thing has huge compression! I would like to bore out the glow head modify for standard glow plug level off the venturi and mount a rc carb. The 1/2A gear is becoming useful again do to the available new parts from Cox and because most have micro servos / rx gear to obtain real performance over the heavy clunky gear we had to use back in the day. Small allows local activity and if a muffler is used they produce low noise suitable for small ponds and flying fields. Ron I had a short stuff too couldnt imagine using a 4cell AA pack run the rx today and Rx that weighs more than 2 servos /rx and lipo 2cell pack of today. With proper sourcing you can now buy flex drives and micro running hardware that greatly outclasses the old hardware in weight, looks and function. To get started all you need is the still available Dumas flywheel or make one out of a washer stack with a few smaller washers in the center to create a channel for a O ring belt starter.
Amp Abuser is offline Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Jan 09, 2014, 06:33 AM
Joined May 2013
8 Posts
Im thinking about using this little .049 motor from a Piktor Miwi/Sportwerks Chaos 1:16 nitro buggy in a outrigger or crackerbox.

A minus is that its a little heavier then a cox .049, but the pluses is the r/c carb, tuned pipe, flywheel and and threaded shaft, so I will be able to use a motor shaft to flex shaft coupler from my local LHS, which specializes in R/C boats so they have all parts needed in stock.

I also have a cox .049 with pull start and separate tank from a Cox-A-Matic car that also have a flywheel installed.

What do you guys think about these engines?

I have also found a hobby shop here in Sweden that sells, cox engines, spare parts, upgrade parts and diesel conversion heads for cox engines.

Maybe the Toki motor from the Piktor/Sportwerks car in the small wooden outrigger that hobbyking sells or a 19" fiberglass hull that my LHS has lying on a shelf
slow_flyer is offline Find More Posts by slow_flyer