HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Im sure some of the cost is related to the non-abuse and negligence 1 year warranty they come with. Which probably is a basic pot, motor and controller chip failure type of thing. Align servos/electronics come with the same warranty but I hear the process isnt fun to go through dealing with Align USA, although HeliDirect being an authorized Align dealer handles warranty claims and has a decent RMA policy. ClubHeli is another place that give good retunrs service on defective items to a limit and they sell a lot of 450 clone related equipment these days. They are not far from me and just opened a store front, might go check them out one of these hot summer days.
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Ok I was thinking, damn Integrity has got some money! Because that would have been like $400.00 in servos alone. I was getting jealous. lol j/k
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,207 Posts
Ice 50 Temp Limits

I found out today from Castle Creations that the operating temps of the Ice 50 should be kept below 210 degrees for it's operation. It will enter thermal shut down when it's internal temp reaches 250 degrees or more.
Something to consider if you fly one, monitor your temp and if it's knocking on the door to 210 degrees you might consider a new location for it or different venting.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
I found out today from Castle Creations that the operating temps of the Ice 50 should be kept below 210 degrees for it's operation. It will enter thermal shut down when it's internal temp reaches 250 degrees or more.
Something to consider if you fly one, monitor your temp and if it's knocking on the door to 210 degrees you might consider a new location for it or different venting.

Viking
OK, thanks, good to know. I just checked the temp on data log a little while ago, and was surprised to see that the temp of the ESC was 104 after 5 minutes of flight. The OAT this morning was 65. I have it mounted on the side in the same place as the stock ESC, so it should be getting some cooling from the downdraft.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
OK, thanks, good to know. I just checked the temp on data log a little while ago, and was surprised to see that the temp of the ESC was 104 after 5 minutes of flight. The OAT this morning was 65. I have it mounted on the side in the same place as the stock ESC, so it should be getting some cooling from the downdraft.
Perfect! That looks like a great location for keeping it cool. I'm running a little higher with it on the lower forward deck with the intake open so looks like the side mount is best.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Perfect! That looks like a great location for keeping it cool. I'm running a little higher with it on the lower forward deck with the intake open so looks like the side mount is best.
I'm also looking at the space under the main gear. The Ice 50 will fit in that space, and catch the draft created by the fan built into the main gear.
Also it will be protected, and hidden away. It's kind of unsightly where it is now.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:22 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,623 Posts
So you guys are 100 degrees off thermal temp. I don't think it's an issue. If you really want to go nuts you can always toss away your fans and go water cooled! Lol. One time i suspended my whole desktop in distilled water and turned it on! How cool would that be to do with a helicopter in a big fish tank! I couldn't imagine the vortex it would create.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
So you guys are 100 degrees off thermal temp. I don't think it's an issue. If you really want to go nuts you can always toss away your fans and go water cooled! Lol. One time i suspended my whole desktop in distilled water and turned it on! How cool would that be to do with a helicopter in a big fish tank! I couldn't imagine the vortex it would create.
Dude! I'm getting worried about you again.
...and that was the whole reason to contact them...what were the limits so we wouldn't have to wonder about it, thinking it would burst into flames at any moment or feel the need to install cooling fans or suspend the whole helicopter in distilled water...that's funny
And funny you should bring it up, I crashed my D05 into a creek behind my house, when I got to it, I looked down at it in the bottom of the creek and the ESC light was still on and I wonderd...Hum...if I were to hit the throttle...I didn't try it though, took it inside flush it with water in the sink, dried it out and continued to fly it for a long time after until the RX started acting very querky and required replacement...again you know I love my oil
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,440 Posts
It must be the heat,
Or some rare disease,
Or too much to eat,
Or maybe it's fleas.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,623 Posts
Quote:
Dude! I'm getting worried about you again.
...and that was the whole reason to contact them...what were the limits so we wouldn't have to wonder about it, thinking it would burst into flames at any moment or feel the need to install cooling fans or suspend the whole helicopter in distilled water...that's funny
And funny you should bring it up, I crashed my D05 into a creek behind my house, when I got to it, I looked down at it in the bottom of the creek and the ESC light was still on and I wonderd...Hum...if I were to hit the throttle...I didn't try it though, took it inside flush it with water in the sink, dried it out and continued to fly it for a long time after until the RX started acting very querky and required replacement...again you know I love my oil
That is odd that it didn't fry. Distilled water is completely stripped of all mineral elements so it is 100% an insulator and completely non conductive, by itself. So if you didn't fry anything. You can always wash your electronics with distilled water and dry them thoroughly. The distilled water will hopefully wash away any trace minerals that might cause a short later.

They actually make water cooled ESCs though, thats not a joke. Maybe for RC boats or something, not sure.

http://www.rcworldwide.com/v5/produc...1lk7u4c40sgh82

Just mentioning it reminded me of an experiment i did back in like 1995 or something. My parents owned a radio shack franchise and i read somewhere about distilled water. So i decided to build a Tandy computer in a Lexan case and fill it with distilled water. I was about 12 years old, but that was a cool project. My parents thought i was nuts till i powered the thing on and it worked.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:13 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,440 Posts
But seriously folks,

Here's something that should be of interest to a lot of us, especially if we're trying different servo's.

Credit goes to BEENFLYING.

This is my rule for Trex FBL cyclic and tail arm lengths:
250 cyclic ~10.5mm - tail ~5mm
450 cyclic ~12.5mm - tail ~8mm
500 cyclic ~18mm - tail ~10mm
550 cyclic ~21mm - tail ~13mm

Note, some heads have different length blade arms, which can require these lengths to be altered.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:53 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,623 Posts
Savox servos still have not arrived. I tried to call the number listed on the site: 1-855-76SAVOX

It rings through to some guy named Joel's voice mail from HRP distributing. Meanwhile, before the voice mail prompt. It's got a advert selling about how Savox servos have been made in Europe with quality and blah blah blah. Just as they are saying this, before the voicemail prompt came up. I looked down at the tail servo that had arrived in 2 days from new york to florida. Only to notice that it is BOLDLY labeled proudly "Made in Taiwan". Next thing you know people will be calling scripted television "reality tv".

I'm considering just going the paypal route and having them deal with this. But maybe i should wait till friday? This kind of crap is just unprofessional. They could at least give me a shipping date or something. No way a package from florida should take 7+ days to ship to florida. It will probably eventually arrive and they beat me out of $6 for sales tax from Utah.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Quote:
But seriously folks,

Here's something that should be of interest to a lot of us, especially if we're trying different servo's.

Credit goes to BEENFLYING.

This is my rule for Trex FBL cyclic and tail arm lengths:
250 cyclic ~10.5mm - tail ~5mm
450 cyclic ~12.5mm - tail ~8mm
500 cyclic ~18mm - tail ~10mm
550 cyclic ~21mm - tail ~13mm

Note, some heads have different length blade arms, which can require these lengths to be altered.
Those numbers wont work so well on the V450 though but i see you have that covered in the Note;......, its 10mm on cyclic and 11mm on the tail in stock configs. Just carry that over to the new DS4 Align/Savox cyclic servo arms, I went 8mm on the DS520 (using the 5 spoke wheel arm) on the tail though, from 11mm, to reduce mechanical gain and give the tail control rod a straight shot to the arm. It's pretty solid there.

The V450's head geometry is different than the T-Pro, less movement and its a CCPM FBL setup so avoid restricting throws in Trav adjust and pitch curves to get the best resolution possible.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer711 View Post
Those numbers wont work so well on the V450 though but i see you have that covered in the Note;......, its 10mm on cyclic and 11mm on the tail in stock configs. Just carry that over to the new DS4 Align/Savox cyclic servo arms, I went 8mm on the DS520 (using the 5 spoke wheel arm) on the tail though, from 11mm, to reduce mechanical gain and give the tail control rod a straight shot to the arm. It's pretty solid there.

The V450's head geometry is different than the T-Pro, less movement and its a CCPM FBL setup so avoid restricting throws in Trav adjust and pitch curves to get the best resolution possible.
Thanks for the clarification 711.
I put a set of EXI 213's on the cyclics yesterday @ 10mm. I flew it this morning, @ 5V, and everything seemed to be OK. I was a little concerned about using these servo's because they're rated at 1.6 kg, which seemed like it was a little on the light side for a FBL 450 heli.
They are drop ins, except for the ELE servo, which requires a little fitting. It was hard to resist using them since I have used them in other heli's with good results.
I'm using a Copterex motor, and ICE 50 ESC. Motor, ESC, and battery run cool after a 6 minute flight to 11.2 V. The motor draws 5A at hover, and 10A at max RPM.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Oct 2009
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification 711.
I put a set of EXI 213's on the cyclics yesterday @ 10mm. I flew it this morning, @ 5V, and everything seemed to be OK. I was a little concerned about using these servo's because they're rated at 1.6 kg, which seemed like it was a little on the light side for a FBL 450 heli.
They are drop ins, except for the ELE servo, which requires a little fitting. It was hard to resist using them since I have used them in other heli's with good results.
I'm using a Copterex motor, and ICE 50 ESC. Motor, ESC, and battery run cool after a 6 minute flight to 11.2 V. The motor draws 5A at hover, and 10A at max RPM.
Nice, Im not familiar with that servo but it must have the slope on the bottom front of the case in order to be a drop in fit. Which pretty much eliminates a lot of the typical square cased servos without cutting the frame/ bearing blocks. Here is a vid of a guy that used Turnigy 90's which are the same as the Tower Pro MG 90's on the V450's Cyclic. Looks like he got the stock geometry right too.

V450D01 WITH TURNIGY TGY-90S METAL SERVO (1 min 56 sec)