Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:29 AM
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2009
1,401 Posts
Or perhaps its the vault key to turn a 8FG into a 18MZ.....
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:19 AM
Bax
Central Illinois
Joined May 2003
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
I am not so happy with your customer service.
I took the radio out, range tested it got ten paces before I lost connection.
I slowly adjusted the screw. I now have 50 paces, on power down mode, and on full power mode, i can get so far that I can't even see the model anymore.
And you wanted me to send it in and pay $20 shipping plus $40/hr plus $100 board (possibly) plus another $20 shipping to do something even a non-tech savvy person can do.
Not a happy customer here.
I just thought I'd let you know my opinions.
Alex
Just sent that to Futaba Cs.
I made a dumb move and accidentally turned the RF calibration screw. They wanted me to send it in, pay $40 for labor, $100 for a new board when all I needed to do it put my receiver with a servo and batt with my sister on the driveway and range test. Slowly adjusted my screw until I got back to normal.
See, now its much more economical to bribe your sister with blackmail rather than cough up $150
We cannot diagnose a difficulty via telephone or internet, and can only speculate. This case would have been a non-warranty service, so there would have been a labor charge. If there was damage to the circuit board as a result, there would have been a charge for that. No way to tell unless we can examine the unit. Only guesses could be offered.

No actual service was performed, and the unit was never sent to the service center for us to examine and troubleshoot. All "charges" were guesses based upon the information provided to us in emails at the time.

Please note that it is illegal to adjust the RF section of any transmitter unless you are properly-trained and have the proper equipment to insure that the unit is performing to the FCC specifications for that unit. It also results in a voided warranty.

Sincerely,

Bill Baxter, Manager
Futaba Service Center North America
3002 N. Apollo Dr. Suite 1
Champaign IL 61822
USA

Phone: (217) 398-0007
Fax: (217) 398-7721
Email: service@futaba-rc.com
Web: http://www.futaba-rc.com/index.html
Bax is offline Find More Posts by Bax
Last edited by Bax; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added sig line
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:24 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Perfect (and the correct) response from Futaba.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Full-size 727 controlled by Futaba 8FG!

The Discovery Channel recently decided to crash a radio-controlled 727 to gather valuable scientific data. To fly the monster aircraft, the team they contracted with selected the Futaba 8FG.

Watch this epic event unfold this Sunday, October 7, on the Discovery Channel at 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time (8:00 Central). Check your local listings for details. Until then, you can read more about the team that pulled off this amazing flight at the link below — see pages 8 & 9.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/mcmu...tid=Cover3#/10

http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/o...n-history.html
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:12 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,443 Posts
Steve,

Perhaps you missed the original thread on the topic.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1737323

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:44 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
He's referring to the crank used to wind the rubber band on an escapement radio system. I'm assuming since he has 3200 posts he probably wrote that in the 1950s and some glitch in the RCGroups system led to it appearing here in 2012.
From his Bio
"I am in 8th grade, and am 13 years old. "
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:56 PM
Phoenix Deer Vally, Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2004
328 Posts
Help - 8FGS won't recognitize SD card

My new 8FG Super won't recognize or format the SD card. I even bought a new SD Card and tried it and it doesn't format either.

I assume the when I put an SD card in the xmitter and then turn it on the display on the home screen should display the SD Card symbol. It does not.

Needless to say , I can't run the update program because I get an error the says I am missing the TINYFS.IMG file.

Can someone please help.

Warm Regars,

Travis
Pilot232 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot232
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot232 View Post
My new 8FG Super won't recognize or format the SD card. I even bought a new SD Card and tried it and it doesn't format either.

I assume the when I put an SD card in the xmitter and then turn it on the display on the home screen should display the SD Card symbol. It does not.

Needless to say , I can't run the update program because I get an error the says I am missing the TINYFS.IMG file.

Can someone please help.

Warm Regars,

Travis
Have you tried to format it in your PC/Win as FAT/default? No lock tab turned on (physical small switch on some SD cards)? And is it SD (max 2Gb), not SDHC or other?
Edit: BTW, some noname cards wont work anyway, but eg all sandisk cards Ive tried have worked.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Jun 2004
328 Posts
Yes to all questions. Should the SD symbol be on the home screen if an SD card is inserted inthe Transmitter?

Warm Regards,

Travis
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:05 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Yes to all questions. Should the SD symbol be on the home screen if an SD card is inserted inthe Transmitter?

Warm Regards,

Travis
So first of all I will state that if your card is larger than 2GB it will not work at all (i.e. SDHC is not supported). I don't believe that the format is FAT, but I'm not 100% sure.

I don't believe that there is any SD symbol on any screen, instead, go to model select and on the top of the left column it should read TX, if the card works you should be able to highlight it and switch to card.

Hope this helps,

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Jun 2004
328 Posts
Birger,

I do not have the "TX' or "CARD" selections in my model select display. Interestingly I also do not have the "SELECT" of "DELETE" functions displayed either.

Maybe a visit to the service center is in order. What to you think?

Warm Regards,

Travis
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:40 PM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Birger,

I do not have the "TX' or "CARD" selections in my model select display. Interestingly I also do not have the "SELECT" of "DELETE" functions displayed either.

Warm Regards,

Travis
On the currently selected model SELECT and DELETE do not show up, that is standard functionality, i.e. you can't select the currently selected model, it is already selected, and you can't delete the currently selected model as that would leave you without selection. In order for all 4 options to show up (as depicted on page 51 and 52 of this manual) you must have at least 2 models created.

Now I'm not saying that there isn't something wrong with your SD card reader, there may very well be but we have had several discussions on this thread about working and non working cards so before we jump to conclusions, why don't you post the specs of the cards you have tried to see if anyone on the thread can validate if they know wether or not they work with the radio (yes, it is a little finicky about some cards).

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:43 PM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Birger,

Warm Regards,

Travis
One more thing, you will never have TX or CARD selections, all you will see if TX, if you move the cursor to TX, select it until it outlines it may or may not allow you to then "spin" the dial to the CARD option.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:49 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:

Warm Regards,

Travis
As you did the formatting on a PC, next time your Tx should have told it would format the card (create the tinyfs.img file).
You probably should try another card; what brand/size are you using?
When a recognized card is available some card icon should appear on the default home screen next to the ST1 numbers.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
As you did the formatting on a PC, next time your Tx should have told it would format the card (create the tinyfs.img file).
You probably should try another card; what brand/size are you using?
When a recognized card is available some card icon should appear on the default home screen next to the ST1 numbers.
Wow, I went back to the manual (don't have my radio with me right now) and you are right, there is an SD card indicator on the main screen. I guess I've gotten so used to seeing it there that it blends and I had forgotten about it. Sorry if i was misleading.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member