HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:02 PM
Three cards shy of a full deck
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2012
112 Posts
Dollar Bill Plane

This is a little plane I built recently out of foamboard, 30 inch wingspan, 10 gram 1000kv outrunner, for now,...... all 9g servos. ... flying weight of 9.07 oz...
Have not yet flown a maiden but should be within next few days...will post video when I do...Have another on the board yet to cut, it has the stabs enlarged like an extra 330 and will be a cut out version also, with a 24 g motor, and will look like a P-51...Good Times.......
TJWright is offline Find More Posts by TJWright
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:01 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJWright View Post
This is a little plane I built recently out of foamboard...
Looks great! still wondering why you added a the cowling when you spent all of that time cutting the wing for weight reduction...
chanyote66 is online now Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom All in one 1.3ghz RX
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:54 AM
Three cards shy of a full deck
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2012
112 Posts
Well like I said I am not sure I will even fly with the cowl, and cut out was also for looks
cowl making was just for show.
TJWright is offline Find More Posts by TJWright
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:26 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,277 Posts
Did Haiduk ever post the plans for the 40" Aeronca L3 from the first post? I'd like to build one for myself and one for my neighbor, and I think these are the best looking of all the champs I've seen here. I've searched this thread with the thread tools and with google, searched duk's posts....am I missing something?

Thanks!
Ben
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:36 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Hey Ben,

Duk said his dad built the L3 and was going to work on plans. Usually we move on and never look back, as there are too many new airplanes we want to build. However if you look close it is very similar to a Blue Baby fuselage, with altered wing and tail. If you look at the first couple page of the Blue Baby Thread, you will see someone made a tail to make a BB look like a Cessna Birddog by simply rounding the fin/rudder.

Many designs are just altered plans from something else. Just need to squint at a 3 view and get it close using the edges of the original to keep size proportinate.

You could PM Haiduk but I'd guess the plan was never finalized.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined May 2012
8,277 Posts
Thanks Freddie

I built a monoblockless BB33 with KFm3 wing, flies incredibly nice (great plane dz1sfb and tony65x55!). I suppose all I would really need to do is alter those plans to look more like a champ. I was hoping for some direction on the cambered flat bottom wing construction, although I am thinking now that an Armin wing would be the ticket.

Thanks again!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:26 AM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Did Haiduk ever post the plans for the 40" Aeronca L3 from the first post? I'd like to build one for myself and one for my neighbor, and I think these are the best looking of all the champs I've seen here. I've searched this thread with the thread tools and with google, searched duk's posts....am I missing something?...
Ben,
Nope, I never did get around to posting plans for that plane. I moved on to other projects and never got back to it. If there is interest in a 40" Aeronca L3, I'll start a thread and get one drawn up and tested.

-Duk
haiduk is offline Find More Posts by haiduk
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined May 2012
8,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiduk View Post
Ben,
Nope, I never did get around to posting plans for that plane. I moved on to other projects and never got back to it. If there is interest in a 40" Aeronca L3, I'll start a thread and get one drawn up and tested.

-Duk
Thanks Haiduk. I don't need you to go to all that trouble for just me, so I'll see if I can't eyeball it and get something that looks close. How was the flat bottom airfoil built?

Edit: Wing picture caption in post # ONE - "Second version of the wing is a "built up" Clark Y type airfoil. Each wing panel has 3 ribs and a spar. This one is lighter than the KF version too."

DID NOT REED GUD !
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bhoov128; Oct 10, 2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
I think my pops found his original drawings. Waiting for him to email them to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
..."Second version of the wing is a "built up" Clark Y type airfoil. Each wing panel has 3 ribs and a spar. This one is lighter than the KF version too."...
If I remember right the wings had 3 ribs per half that were keyed into slots in a strip spar. That assembly was glued down to a flat sheet then the top sheet was dry rolled and glued over the top of everything. Let me see what pops has drawn up. I'll see if I can clarify for you.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:58 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
Pops original CAD file for his L3. DraftSight is free and should open the file properly.

EDIT: I think I'm still going to draw up a new one. I'll get back to it.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined May 2012
8,277 Posts
I think I love you

Thanks so much
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:02 PM
Whatever goes up must go BOOM
United States, OH, Kent
Joined Mar 2012
2,083 Posts
This is a very dumb question but how do you cut foam from plans? Do you trace them on the foam and then cut it? or do you cut it with the plans on the foam? i have tried both neither work well for me. Wish I had a laser cutter.....

-joker
joker24458 is online now Find More Posts by joker24458
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker24458 View Post
This is a very dumb question but how do you cut foam from plans? Do you trace them on the foam and then cut it? or do you cut it with the plans on the foam? i have tried both neither work well for me. Wish I had a laser cutter.....

-joker
You glue the plans onto card stock, cut those out, then trace those onto the foam. Oh, and you use new blades and sharpen or replace frequently. It is difficult to keep that blade perpendicular during cutting.
gromit38 is offline Find More Posts by gromit38
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,456 Posts
One technique to maintain a straight line is to "drag" the knife. Hold it about 45deg to the foam, and relatively loose in your hand with index finger right on top, then just pull it down the straight edge with minimal pressure using index fingertip, only trying to get a partial cut (basically cutting through the outer "skin"). Once you get the hang of it, the knife will self align vertical to the cut. Then without moving the straight edge, make another cut with more down pressure and do this til it is through. Usually takes three strokes for me on FFF or MPF.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:40 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,456 Posts
Here's another Dollar store foam plane getting close to completion. All the foam work is essentially done, and covered with white packing tape (hence the shine). Still need to finish the landing gear.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member