HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2005, 12:36 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
873 Posts
Hobby Club "Danny" RES

Are there any other Danny owners out there to share ideas with?

I'll start it off by showing you all our spoiler servo modification. The plans call for the servo to be mounted vertical and drop down into the fuselage. This makes getting ballast in the plane very difficult. When first building the plane, I toyed with putting the micro servo I had selected in horizontally, but it would not fit between the two inner most ribs. At that time I was afraid to go with a sub micro servo because I had read that the torque requirement for this type of large spoiler was substantial.

I recently changed out the servo replacing it with an Airtronics 94091 9 gram sub micro servo. I'm running a 5 cell pack so this boosts the torque up to 24 inch/ounce. This servo would fit horizontal and flush with the bottom of the wing leaving the fuselage open for ballast.

I've included both before and after close-up shots of our spoiler bay for comparison. The after shot shows the spoiler held wide open, but we only use about 45 degrees in flight.

In flight testing, the servo popped the spoiler right up without a problem on a normal approach. I decided to push the limits a bit and made a fast approach like one might make in a TD contest while running late on time coming home from down wind. At this higher speed, the spoiler still immediately popped up with no problem. I did not try opening it in a death dive because that's not a normal operation in my book.

In conclusion, the tiny Airtronics servo is doing the job just fine. Now I need to figure out the best way to secure ballast in the fuselage. Has anyone out there set up ballast capability in their Danny? I'm going to shoot for a 20 ounce capacity.
Bob McGowan is offline Find More Posts by Bob McGowan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2005, 01:13 PM
france
Joined Feb 2004
119 Posts
nice job

Nice job, ingenious idea.
Gérard.
g.guasch is offline Find More Posts by g.guasch
Old Feb 18, 2005, 02:15 AM
Boulder City, NV
Joined Jul 2003
107 Posts
I used a Hitec HS-55 in my Danny for the spoiler. I have had no problems either. I used stick-on lead to put in 6 oz of lead in the fuse for Phoenix. I like the extra speed, so I haven't taken it out yet. I jokingly said that in order to put more lead into it, I'd have to shoot it. I will probably install a ballast tube accessible from the canopy. Something about 5/8 diameter and 12" in length. That would be 3.68155 cubic inches of lead. (Roughly 1/40th of a cubic foot.) How much does a cubic foot of lead weigh, anyways?

targetdrone is offline Find More Posts by targetdrone
Old Feb 18, 2005, 02:24 AM
Boulder City, NV
Joined Jul 2003
107 Posts
I have been asked about my stab retainer clip. Here are a couple of pics of the way I did it.

targetdrone is offline Find More Posts by targetdrone
Old Feb 22, 2005, 07:02 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
873 Posts
[QUOTE=targetdrone]I used a Hitec HS-55 in my Danny for the spoiler. I have had no problems either. I used stick-on lead to put in 6 oz of lead in the fuse for Phoenix. I like the extra speed, so I haven't taken it out yet. I jokingly said that in order to put more lead into it, I'd have to shoot it. I will probably install a ballast tube accessible from the canopy. Something about 5/8 diameter and 12" in length. That would be 3.68155 cubic inches of lead. (Roughly 1/40th of a cubic foot.) How much does a cubic foot of lead weigh, anyways?
[QUOTE]

Target - so if you are running a 4 cell pack that's only 18 inch/ounce of torque for the spoiler. It's good to know we don't really need that big of a servo here.

I don't know the weight for lead, but I did do some rough figuring with slugs I already have on hand. A 1/2 inch tube will get us 12 or 13 ounces capacity. A 5/8 tube will get us up to a max of around 20 which is where I think we really should be for this plane and it's light dry weight. This estimate is for centering a ballast tube on the CG with the load opening at the back edge of the canopy.

I can get a 1/2 inch tube in ours easy enough still, but the more desirable 5/8 tube may be impossible to get in without temporarily removing the radio gear. Can you get one in yours Target? - let us know what you end up doing. Still contemplating what I'll do at this end.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:41 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
measuring a ballast wieght from my KA8, it looks like lead weighs about 6.8oz/cubic inch.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:34 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
873 Posts
The evening before the last contest we attended, I still had not made ballast accommodations in my daughter's Danny. Knowing the wind was likely to blow, I hastily rigged this up. Not exactly engineering excellence, but it works. I did not set the bar very high with this idea so please continue to share your methods to ballast the Danny.

Each lead slug weighs about 5 ounces. This gives a total capacity of 20 ounces. The slugs are brass tube filled with melted lead and were lying around left over from my old Falcon 800's ballast system.

As the pictures show, two slugs are joined with fiber strapping tape with a bit of a gap in between them. This allows them to flex when being installed through the old spoiler servo hole (spoiler servo now relocated completely inside wing). The gap between the slugs also makes the spot that my crude retaining clip fits to secure the ballast. You'll see part of my clip stands above the wing seat when installed, but that is OK because it lines up with the spoiler servo bay and does not interfere with wing mounting. The clip installs exactly at the CG.

The first increment of ballast is 10 ounces (2 slugs). If she ever needs more, I plan to fiber tape on another slug at both ends bringing it to the max capacity of 20 ounces. I'll need to tape the additional slugs on with a little slack too so that I can flex the string of 4 slugs as I maneuver them through the small access hole.

...by the way, after all this the wind did not blow. We have yet to try this system in the air. Perhaps this weekend at the Fresno Classic.

Bob
Old Jun 13, 2008, 09:01 PM
Spokane, WA
Joined Jun 2006
9 Posts
Where did you place your tow hook?

On the CG? In front? or behind?

Thanks !
fishdude1111 is offline Find More Posts by fishdude1111
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2 Posts
Danny RES ballast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McGowan View Post
The evening before the last contest we attended, I still had not made ballast accommodations in my daughter's Danny. Knowing the wind was likely to blow, I hastily rigged this up. Not exactly engineering excellence, but it works. I did not set the bar very high with this idea so please continue to share your methods to ballast the Danny.

Each lead slug weighs about 5 ounces. This gives a total capacity of 20 ounces. The slugs are brass tube filled with melted lead and were lying around left over from my old Falcon 800's ballast system.

As the pictures show, two slugs are joined with fiber strapping tape with a bit of a gap in between them. This allows them to flex when being installed through the old spoiler servo hole (spoiler servo now relocated completely inside wing). The gap between the slugs also makes the spot that my crude retaining clip fits to secure the ballast. You'll see part of my clip stands above the wing seat when installed, but that is OK because it lines up with the spoiler servo bay and does not interfere with wing mounting. The clip installs exactly at the CG.

The first increment of ballast is 10 ounces (2 slugs). If she ever needs more, I plan to fiber tape on another slug at both ends bringing it to the max capacity of 20 ounces. I'll need to tape the additional slugs on with a little slack too so that I can flex the string of 4 slugs as I maneuver them through the small access hole.

...by the way, after all this the wind did not blow. We have yet to try this system in the air. Perhaps this weekend at the Fresno Classic.

Bob
Bob,
Back in 2003 you designed a ballast system for your Danny. It seemed quite novel, did it work? Anything that you would change? I just bought a used Danny and would like to take advantage of the ideas of those who have gone before me!

Thanks,
Steve
Thermalfinder1 is offline Find More Posts by Thermalfinder1
Old Nov 26, 2011, 06:14 PM
Joined Nov 2009
2 Posts
Danny RES Horizontal Stab Retainer Clip

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetdrone View Post
I have been asked about my stab retainer clip. Here are a couple of pics of the way I did it.

Back in 2003 you posted some pictures of your Danny RES, mentioning the Horizontal Stab Retainer Clip. Those pictures are no longer being shown and I wondered if you still have them and could post them again.

Cheers,
Steve
Thermalfinder1 is offline Find More Posts by Thermalfinder1
Old Nov 27, 2011, 12:55 AM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2003
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalfinder1 View Post
Bob,
Back in 2003 you designed a ballast system for your Danny. It seemed quite novel, did it work? Anything that you would change? I just bought a used Danny and would like to take advantage of the ideas of those who have gone before me!

Thanks,
Steve
That is my Daughter Robin's Danny and she is still flying it and still uses that same ballast system. Works fine.

Bob