HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:46 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hythe
Joined Jul 2011
87 Posts
Discussion
Commercial flying in the UK on 5.4Ghz?

Hi all,

I am a cameraman working for a holiday company. We travel all over Europe filming tourist hotspots. We also film airport hotels and car parks in the UK (which is the majority of our work).

We are currently seriously considering buying a quadcopter to film aerial shots. I am experienced with flying electric warbirds already and feel that I will be fine with the flying demands of a quadcopter as we will be looking to buy one with a degree of automation. Currently we are seriously considering the DJI Inspire 1.

I am aware that in order to shoot commercially in the UK I would need to undertake a BNUC-S course which I have already got clearance to take from the business.

The area I am concerned about is if the Inspire 1 is allowed to be used for commercial shooting. I have read online that 5.4Ghz control systems are not allowed to be used for commercial shooting in the UK. Is this correct? The Inspire 1 is apparently 2.4Ghz and 5.4Ghz which confuses me a little.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? Basically I just need to know if 5.4Ghz is legal in the UK for commercial shooting. I am also struggling to get a reply from the CAA regarding this as emails I have sent have not been responded to. Does anyone know who to email?

Thanks
JonVic is offline Find More Posts by JonVic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:06 AM
kitesurfer
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Dec 2005
1,587 Posts
Inspire is 2.4
AliB is online now Find More Posts by AliB
Old Dec 12, 2014, 04:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hythe
Joined Jul 2011
87 Posts
But it says on DJI's own website under the title 'remote controller' the following information:

922.7~927.7 MHz (Japan Only)
5.728~5.850 GHz
2.400~2.483 GHz

I'm confused...?
JonVic is offline Find More Posts by JonVic