HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Are you interested in a Multiplex Sonic Liner clone?
I'd strongly consider buying one 76 54.68%
I would possibly consider buying one 31 22.30%
no interest 29 20.86%
other thoughts- explain in your post 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:50 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
The difference between the Sonicliner and Parkzone warbirds is, that those warbirds are selling like "hot cakes", while it took three years to get rid of one batch of Sonicliners.

Jürgen
That's fine. Please aknowledge the comparable veracity or at least validity of my anecdotal evidence:

I started flying in 2005-2006 and I never ever saw one in any of the local hobby shops.

So... at the very least, distribution and/or popularity was not homogeneous for all RC consuming markets.

I wanted one when I first heard about them and I want one now.

Thanks to Darsh, we have a start at building one of our own but many of us in the hobby grew up on ARFs and we just like flying. I'm going to see what I can do about building my own but in the mean time, I'll keep hoping for a kit.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:16 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
...
I started flying in 2005-2006 and I never ever saw one in any of the local hobby shops.
...
Well, what do you expect? No local hobby shop will order a model to put on the shelf to collect dust. They order models, which are selling well in order to earn a living.

Even in the "homeland of Multiplex", most shops would usually had to order a kit rather than having one in stock.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:36 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Well, what do you expect? No local hobby shop will order a model to put on the shelf to collect dust. They order models, which are selling well in order to earn a living.

Even in the "homeland of Multiplex", most shops would usually had to order a kit rather than having one in stock.

Jürgen
So this directly contradicts your claim that the models sat around!!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:18 PM
Registered User
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
I tend to disagree here.

Perhaps the situation you described fits your local clubs, but over here, models like the Twin-Star and the Twin-Jet were best selling kits long before the Sonicliner was introduced. People just were not interested in airliners. The Robbe Concorde and the Robbe Airliner shared the same fate as the Sonicliner.

Most modelers back then - and even now - rather fly a model of a WW II warbird or an EDF jet than an airliner. With an airliner you set yourself up to fly around in circles, because any kind of aerobatics would looks rather silly.

Jürgen
..."Mr Jurgen "..you are probably right in your little neck of the woods over there in "Germany" (small country) the clubs might be a little different than over here in the states where we have many different intrests because of the sheer numbers we have here compaired to yours ...The modelers would rather fly a WWII plane because ...it's from their time .".Hello.".!! States my case about the old timmers not wanting to go with somthing new ..... Just for the record book here I would rather fly a "Cool Looking Airliner " and as you say fly around in circles than do" aerobatics" by trying to show off to others and risk crashing because "look I can make my plane hang still. in the air .".gets old buddy, real quick" ...and I think after you have seen one you have seen them all ..thats not flying it's just showing off only ..!! The point in all of this is there are a lot of people (can't tell you the numbers thou) that would be intrested in the sonic liner today can't you just be happy about that and do your own little thing ..!! Case closed as far as i am concerened
jlions72 is offline Find More Posts by jlions72
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:20 PM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Darsh's Avatar
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Nothing to see here, move on.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Last edited by Darsh; Jan 28, 2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Nothing to see here, move on.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:20 PM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
So this directly contradicts your claim that the models sat around!!
Not at all. Bigger shops, like those who ordered Twin-Jets in bulks of 20 kits, also ordered the odd Sonicliner as well - only to find out, that it was not selling.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlions72 View Post
..."Mr Jurgen "..you are probably right in your little neck of the woods over there in "Germany" (small country) the clubs might be a little different than over here in the states where we have many different intrests because of the sheer numbers we have here compaired to yours ...
Well, Germany might be a lot smaller than the USA, but model flying is much more popular over here.

We have over 100.000 model pilots in Germany, who are member of a model flying organisation. With almost 2000 model flying clubs, the density of model pilots/ flying fields is for sure much higher than in the USA.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:29 PM
Registered User
cgoffa's Avatar
Joined Dec 2009
566 Posts
unhappy day

Well thanks to a sick cat i probably should sel my sonic liner as well as my .60 great planes dr1. Anybody interested shoot me a pm. I will get the listings up in the next day or so. I live in binghamton and work in cortland ny . Chris
cgoffa is online now Find More Posts by cgoffa
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:04 PM
Registered User
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Well, Germany might be a lot smaller than the USA, but model flying is much more popular over here.

We have over 100.000 model pilots in Germany, who are member of a model flying organisation. With almost 2000 model flying clubs, the density of model pilots/ flying fields is for sure much higher than in the USA.

Jürgen
...".Thats Nice ".......lol....and you guys are different in what you like
And alot of what I have seen on here (the videos) you guys fly Airliners too !!!!!!..you just can't be happy with that can you !!!..All the guy was saying was he wished
that the sonic liner would be produced again for the people that want one and you just had to be right and try to be an expert on everything ...!!
And you didn't say anything about what I stated about "showing off " because you know
I am right ...because thats all it is ........
jlions72 is offline Find More Posts by jlions72
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:06 PM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Well, Germany might be a lot smaller than the USA, but model flying is much more popular over here.

We have over 100.000 model pilots in Germany, who are member of a model flying organisation. With almost 2000 model flying clubs, the density of model pilots/ flying fields is for sure much higher than in the USA.

Jürgen
That is true. Germany has a lot of RC fans.
They make great model kits too!
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:13 PM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlions72 View Post
...".Thats Nice ".......lol....and you guys are different in what you like
And alot of what I have seen on here (the videos) you guys fly Airliners too !!!!!!..you just can't be happy with that can you !!!..All the guy was saying was he wished
that the sonic liner would be produced again for the people that want one and you just had to be right and try to be an expert on everything ...!!
And you didn't say anything about what I stated about "showing off " because you know
I am right ...because thats all it is ........
LOL... I think you got it.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:37 PM
Registered User
michigan
Joined Apr 2009
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post
LOL... I think you got it.
...Thank You, I will butt out now it's your thread I just could not stand back and read what he was saying ..No it's how he was saying it ....
Instead of saying... Yaa it didn't sell all that well ,but that was a few years ago and it might be kind of fun to see it come back today with all the motor upgrades and people are now in to electric more than ever ...thats all he had to say and show some support I think all planes are fun to fly nitro or electric or fomies ..why not
jlions72 is offline Find More Posts by jlions72
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:39 AM
Registered User
Jurgen Heilig's Avatar
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlions72 View Post
... All the guy was saying was he wished that the sonic liner would be produced again for the people that want one and you just had to be right and try to be an expert on everything ...!
Wrong. He seems to be a bit desperate for a Sonicliner, but it has to be much cheaper than than the original. I merely provided the facts, why this model was a flop back then and why most likely nobody is willing to produce one again. That's all and I am not saying anything different, just because somebody does not want to hear those facts.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:24 AM
Registered User
MRGTX's Avatar
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Wrong. He seems to be a bit desperate for a Sonicliner, but it has to be much cheaper than than the original. I merely provided the facts, why this model was a flop back then and why most likely nobody is willing to produce one again. That's all and I am not saying anything different, just because somebody does not want to hear those facts.

Jürgen
No, actually, jlions72 was correct. I think everyone who wants one of these planes would prefer that MPX offered this plane again but we know for certain that this will not happen. The only remaining possibility is a clone. I'll take one either way...and I think many other folks woudl too.

Just to clarify, I am not "desperate" for anything. Perhaps there is a language barrier issue here but your comment that I am "desperate for a Sonicliner" has an insulting connotation. Please edit your comment or verify if you intended to insult me. Thank you.

You are correct about one thing- I am not able/willing to buy foamy kits that are $300+USD and that seems to be the price of importing old stock from Europe. I would be happy however, to buy a kit from Multiplex at the standard price range for their offerings. I have purchased copies of almost every kit of theirs that I have been able to find and multiples of many of them.

You stated your opinion about the Sonic Liner being a "flop" early on and my opinion is that many of the reasons for a (possible) sales flop (though we have no actual data on that) no longer apply and that a company like Hobbyking could likely produce this kit profitably.

It's very obvious that your input into this duscussion has been about your quest to be an authority on any Multiplex relevant topic. Thanks for your input.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
sonic liner's Avatar
San Jose Cally
Joined Jan 2004
1,047 Posts
Hmmmm.........according to the current pole numbers, the interest is huge !. Perhaps I should change my username to " The flop " .......not.

Sonic Liner
sonic liner is offline Find More Posts by sonic liner
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Do you spend more time thinking about spending money or making money ? Usta Bee Life, The Universe, and Politics 30 Sep 02, 2014 06:52 PM
Question What do you do to your Duraplane Trainer 40 to make sure wing stays aligned? trevorcgross Combat Fuel Planes 5 Oct 11, 2012 09:51 AM
Discussion Banana and fms. What do you think you are doing? kusunokimasahige Banana Hobby 36 Jul 20, 2012 03:00 PM
Discussion what do you guys think of u can do 3d Evan03 Fuel Plane Talk 15 Apr 30, 2012 12:11 AM
Discussion What do you think about this? Conversion to Lipo on Sumo 1/24 AmazingRCstore Micro Cars 0 Feb 25, 2012 03:18 PM