SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:17 PM
Scotsman in Germany
Germany, BY, Schwabach
Joined Oct 2012
1,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiichopper View Post
Velcro seems to work fine for the buzzer. Suggest mounting toward the right side of chopper when looking from the rear. Do remember that the motors will usually get hot before the battery reaches critical voltage, especially if you use higher capacity true lipoly batteries. For example, a 1800mah lipoly will give about 10 minutes of flight time but that's too long for the stock motors if you desire the motors to last longer. The camera mounting can be a problem as it's suseptable to vibrations. Camera seems to work better when solidly mounted. Never got mine to produce the quality desired, but it's a cheap one. Others here have had good luck with theirs.
Thanks for that Hawaii. Any particular reason why you mount your buzzer on the right? I put mine on the left cos that's where my battery cables were coming out. Just found a couple of pics from rexless that showed the cables on the right hand side and realised with a "duh!" that I could just put the battery in the other way up . Also saw that rexless had mounted an 808 camera upside down directly under the baseplate. Can only see a twist tie, but I'd imagine there's velcro hiding behind it. Just wondering if he uses some kind of software to re-invert the videos. Think I'd get dizzy trying to watch them in the original .

REXLESS!!!!?????
tiggertoo1962 is offline Find More Posts by tiggertoo1962
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FS TH9X/WL-T6 settings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:26 PM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post
Thanks for that Hawaii. Any particular reason why you mount your buzzer on the right? I put mine on the left cos that's where my battery cables were coming out. Just found a couple of pics from rexless that showed the cables on the right hand side and realised with a "duh!" that I could just put the battery in the other way up . Also saw that rexless had mounted an 808 camera upside down directly under the baseplate. Can only see a twist tie, but I'd imagine there's velcro hiding behind it. Just wondering if he uses some kind of software to re-invert the videos. Think I'd get dizzy trying to watch them in the original .

REXLESS!!!!?????
that's great idea to put 808 upside down! I was thinking how to mount that for long time to have button accessible. I anyway have to convert video as 10mbps is too much for DV video, so why not turn it upside down with my ffmpeg converter. When I found that ffmpeg can convert video to any angle I was smiling thinking: why should I need to rotate video?
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:51 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
(from hawaiichopper)
That sounds interesting. If I understand, the leds are powered directly by the battery with the resistor between the battery and the led?

Thats correct, the resistor is in the minus (black) lead, and they solder right to the 7.2 volt bus. AND if you use that minus lead as the common to all the lights, the 1 resistor is plenty
BobTopofTheWorld is offline Find More Posts by BobTopofTheWorld
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Omg omg o-m-g

(falls to his knees thanking the GODS Of R/C) OMG the first real flight of my F45 was so sweet. Gone was the lack of hovering motionless, Gone was any vibrations, Gone was the need to trim... Instead was 9.5 min of Heavenly Bliss. MANY THANKS goes out the the best guys on Planet R/C. The many hours I spent reading through this thread were NOT wasted time. The basic mods (I did the servo arm, the wing grip shims, a simple home-made heatsink for the main motor, removing the tail foil/struts, adjusting the COG with the new battery, and balancing the main wing halves) made this 'toy' into a real sweet, air-worthy, fun-filled craft.
Seeing the same failures/issues I experienced posted gave me courage to press foward to this successful conclusion.
All of this I credit to you lot.
I got a video of the flight, its pretty much void of 'anything to write home about'. If I can figure out how to upload it,I may post it just so my mate in Midura Au can see 'old bob' can fly a bit...
BTW outside temp was 22f (-5c) winds outta the north @ .5 mph and overcast
OMG it just occured to me... I never changed the throttle throw from the factory preset of 50%... WOW I did a 9.5 min flight on 50% MAX throttle (and never used 100% of that) Now that is sweet.
P.S. G thats translated to 'DICK HEAD' (LMAO)

(raises his glass) CHEERS LADS aient we got it good (if the wife doesnt find out about the last button we pushed) lol
Old Jan 10, 2013, 04:41 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Ahem... did someone call me?

To mount my 808 and my 1080p keychain cameras I opted to mount them upside-down. The 808#16 has an option you can set to record the video upside-down so no rotation is needed. The other camera doesn't so I just rotate the video in Adobe Premiere Elements. For mounting securely I opted for opening the case and drilling 2 holes on each side of the case - at a spot where a zip-tie can get through without putting any pressure on the circuit board, lense or battery. I put a small 7mm piece of plastic between the camera and the helicopter base plate and use the zip-ties to mount it through the metal plates on the helicopter. I use the twist-tie at the back as a security mechanism in case the zip ties should bust.

I haven't been flying lately as I haven't quite gotten over the loss of my favourite Quadcopter yet. It flew away a few nights ago and I was not able to locate it. I had LED's all over it but with the snow being over 30cm deep and more snow since - I couldn't find any trace of it.
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:28 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
450 size F-45

Has anybody ever tried puttin a trex belt drive rear rotor on a F-45?

I made a spacer from the 12mm boom to the 10mm rear boom size of the
F-45, Used a gear from the aftermarket (China) on my F-45 to run the rear prop.
The belt rubs a little on the boom, but it doesnt have any wear on it,(as far as my old eyes (with 3,5 mag ) can see.

Will make a pic sometime, but who knows when?
Aint got much time to WORK and put my chill time together.(Only 24 hrs in a day).

Frank Von Hellsing
Amsterdam

Hey yall,........Keep the Skids down before ya touch the GROUND.
R.C. Man is offline Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Rex dont feel alone, my v911 caught a puff of wind, went over 1 apt bld and when I cut the throttle, was over the carport... gonna practice up with the F45 and see if I can grapple it. Realtime video would sure be nice huh. A video of the 'rescue' would be priceless I bet
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:14 PM
Frank
Germany, BW, Heubach
Joined Dec 2012
928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
Rex dont feel alone, my v911 caught a puff of wind, went over 1 apt bld and when I cut the throttle, was over the carport... gonna practice up with the F45 and see if I can grapple it. Realtime video would sure be nice huh. A video of the 'rescue' would be priceless I bet
you know it man
Rescue Mission # 1 for you

But would be better to get a ladder to get her back.

Frank VanHelsing
R.C. Man is offline Find More Posts by R.C. Man
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
Just purchased this online. It is my first 4 ch copter. I have not had much luck with my 3 ch copters. My first one the Egofly Hawkspy no longer works, well, the controller no longer works. I just recently purchased a similar copter from Nitroplanes.com and it arrived DOA and it looks like that company is just ignoring me. I purchased the red F645 from ThinkRC.com. I hope I have a better experience with them. I am new to RC.
woffie is offline Find More Posts by woffie
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:57 PM
John
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Man View Post
Has anybody ever tried puttin a trex belt drive rear rotor on a F-45?

I made a spacer from the 12mm boom to the 10mm rear boom size of the
F-45, Used a gear from the aftermarket (China) on my F-45 to run the rear prop.
The belt rubs a little on the boom, but it doesnt have any wear on it,(as far as my old eyes (with 3,5 mag ) can see.

Will make a pic sometime, but who knows when?
Aint got much time to WORK and put my chill time together.(Only 24 hrs in a day).

Frank Von Hellsing
Amsterdam

Hey yall,........Keep the Skids down before ya touch the GROUND.
Already tried and reported here, but still (imo) inferior to BL tail F45/450 conversion, using the stock F45 Rx.
But would be very interested in your pics (when you get time!) as think the idea has a lot more potential if used with gyro/6chan Tx/Rx.
Cheers
OldOz is offline Find More Posts by OldOz
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Welkies to our happy home to F45, Woffie

My second flight today... now i understand the 'jello effect' LOL. Soon as I took off the radio decided to unbind... thankfully I was only a foot off the ground. Shut down everything and restarted, all good, didnt notice the bent flybar :@
All You Newbies, only one 300 class copter you can dump-n-bump and still get an 8 min flight in... F45
Isnt Life Grand... At the controls of a F45
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:29 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTopofTheWorld View Post
(falls to his knees thanking the GODS Of R/C) OMG the first real flight of my F45 was so sweet. Gone was the lack of hovering motionless, Gone was any vibrations, Gone was the need to trim... Instead was 9.5 min of Heavenly Bliss. MANY THANKS goes out the the best guys on Planet R/C. The many hours I spent reading through this thread were NOT wasted time. The basic mods (I did the servo arm, the wing grip shims, a simple home-made heatsink for the main motor, removing the tail foil/struts, adjusting the COG with the new battery, and balancing the main wing halves) made this 'toy' into a real sweet, air-worthy, fun-filled craft.
Seeing the same failures/issues I experienced posted gave me courage to press foward to this successful conclusion.
All of this I credit to you lot.
I got a video of the flight, its pretty much void of 'anything to write home about'. If I can figure out how to upload it,I may post it just so my mate in Midura Au can see 'old bob' can fly a bit...
BTW outside temp was 22f (-5c) winds outta the north @ .5 mph and overcast
OMG it just occured to me... I never changed the throttle throw from the factory preset of 50%... WOW I did a 9.5 min flight on 50% MAX throttle (and never used 100% of that) Now that is sweet.
P.S. G thats translated to 'DICK HEAD' (LMAO)

(raises his glass) CHEERS LADS aient we got it good (if the wife doesnt find out about the last button we pushed) lol
Glad to hear all went well! As mentioned, try to keep the flights to 7-8 minutes (unless it's cold). Heat will significantly shorten the lives of the stock motors. They can get to 140 degrees F or more. BTW, sent you a PM about the F45.
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggertoo1962 View Post

REXLESS!!!!?????
Like to keep weight bias to right as choppers tend to tilt left.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. Man View Post
you know it man
Rescue Mission # 1 for you

But would be better to get a ladder to get her back.

Frank VanHelsing
Believe me, that was and is my first thought... however I like it where I currently reside. There are excellent flying areas nearby, and free wifi ( downloaded 70 or so movies just last month).
And lets face it, 20-25 bucks will replace it. And come breakup... I WILL get it back
Old Jan 10, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woffie View Post
Just purchased this online. It is my first 4 ch copter. I have not had much luck with my 3 ch copters. My first one the Egofly Hawkspy no longer works, well, the controller no longer works. I just recently purchased a similar copter from Nitroplanes.com and it arrived DOA and it looks like that company is just ignoring me. I purchased the red F645 from ThinkRC.com. I hope I have a better experience with them. I am new to RC.
Welcome aboard! The F645 (F45) is a fine machine. If you have questions, there are a bunch of knowledgeable people here who always seem ready to help.