SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:27 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
.
I got a great surprise this morning - my Sabre arrived.

Why such a surprise? I found the box behind my green waste bin around the side of my house when I went to fill the watering can this morning!!..
.
I am really looking forward to reviewing this jet! It has been said by all who have received theirs that it looks really nice in real life. I agree, this looks great!

.
Yeah Baby!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:32 PM
Addicted to building...
Freddie B's Avatar
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Dave,

So happy you got yours! It may be Monday down under, but wouldn't it be a bummer if that F-86 was there since last week! I'd be asking the Post person 'what's up with hiding the Gold behind the barrel'...

Good luck and have fun! I'm hoping to get mine out side pronto, even with the bits of snow still around, it's almost getting warm enough to keep your fingers thawed!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:52 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
.
.....I found the box behind my green waste bin around the side of my house when I went to fill the watering can this morning!!..
Hmmmmmm..............

You can't be too careful with these scarce F-86's.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pugsam; Feb 19, 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: too much shiraz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:53 PM
Inciting Riots
village_idiot's Avatar
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
Now I understand...
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:06 PM
Registered User
lotech's Avatar
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jul 2003
338 Posts
not a good experience with mine....balances on the cg, as soon as it takes off (both hand launch and ROG), it pitches up and stalls....looks like ill be adding weight to the nose!
lotech is offline Find More Posts by lotech
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:14 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger View Post
Ensign Jimmy, what size carbon rods did you use on the horizontal stab and did you inlay them or just glue them to the top of the stab? I just got my Sabre this weekend and haven't had a chance to fly it yet. I noticed the stab is pretty thin so some reinforcement definitely seems like a good idea.
1.5mm diameter rods. There are some moulded panel lines in the stab that I just cut into with a hobby knife to slip the rods into. The vertical stab could use a rod too. I found that out when I landed on grass and flipped the Sabre over.

Now if I could only remember where I hid my jar of silver paint.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:26 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotech View Post
not a good experience with mine....balances on the cg, as soon as it takes off (both hand launch and ROG), it pitches up and stalls....looks like ill be adding weight to the nose!
Check all control surfaces...
these buggers are small and any little imperfections in them can mess with the flight...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
Registered User
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
That is a good idea about the carbon rods, the vertical stab is very vunerable.

Here is my second flight and it was a blast constant winds of about 7mph with gusts to 10. Overall it flew very well with the hyperions!
F86 Video 2.wmv (2 min 55 sec)
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Check all control surfaces...
these buggers are small and any little imperfections in them can mess with the flight...
As well being tail heavy.. I flew with 320's today, a little nose heavy making up Nanotech 300's now..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:37 PM
Sgt Stretch's Avatar
NE Wisoconsin
Joined Aug 2004
30 Posts
I bought the F-86 micro jet this weekend and here are a few observations:

The craftsmanship is outstanding. My hobby dealer let me open the package and inspect the contents first. When I saw the detail of the control surfaces and the workmanship, I was convinced this would be a good buy. Who cares if its small!

The "Any Link" set up was a breeze with my DX-7. Mine was included with the purchase of the plane. This is a special going on until April.

The manual states the CG should be 70mm from the leading edge. With the battery installed all the way forward, it was still tail heavy. I had to add 3g of weight to the nose for the CG to meet factory specs. Has anyone else had this problem? Is 70mm (2 3/4 inch) the correct CG?

One of the landing gear got hung up when I tried to install it. Minor issue, the result of molded plastic.

I stuck some velcro in the battery and in the compartment. I would hate to crash because the battery slid or fell out. Long story but its happened to me before.

The ducted fan spins up with no vibration whatsoever! Nearly every EDF I have set up so far needed some balancing to the edf unit. Not this time.

I manufactured a charging cable for the battery so I can plug it into my main charging system. Using the included charger will be slow and lacks feedback circuitry but it works fine.

Will I hand launch? I honestly suck at it. Many of my planes look like a bulldog thanks to my dorked hand launches. I think I will try a ground take off.
Sgt Stretch is offline Find More Posts by Sgt Stretch
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:11 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Stretch View Post
I bought the F-86 micro jet this weekend and here are a few observations:

The craftsmanship is outstanding. My hobby dealer let me open the package and inspect the contents first. When I saw the detail of the control surfaces and the workmanship, I was convinced this would be a good buy. Who cares if its small!

The "Any Link" set up was a breeze with my DX-7. Mine was included with the purchase of the plane. This is a special going on until April.

The manual states the CG should be 70mm from the leading edge. With the battery installed all the way forward, it was still tail heavy. I had to add 3g of weight to the nose for the CG to meet factory specs. Has anyone else had this problem? Is 70mm (2 3/4 inch) the correct CG?

One of the landing gear got hung up when I tried to install it. Minor issue, the result of molded plastic.

I stuck some velcro in the battery and in the compartment. I would hate to crash because the battery slid or fell out. Long story but its happened to me before.

The ducted fan spins up with no vibration whatsoever! Nearly every EDF I have set up so far needed some balancing to the edf unit. Not this time.

I manufactured a charging cable for the battery so I can plug it into my main charging system. Using the included charger will be slow and lacks feedback circuitry but it works fine.

Will I hand launch? I honestly suck at it. Many of my planes look like a bulldog thanks to my dorked hand launches. I think I will try a ground take off.
I was flying with it at 65 today,, I think 67 is going to be the sweet spot..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:58 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
As well being tail heavy.. I flew with 320's today, a little nose heavy making up Nanotech 300's now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob View Post
I was flying with it at 65 today,, I think 67 is going to be the sweet spot..
Ok, thank you!
that was a question I was going to ask.. if maybe we should move the CG more forward.. and I was going to try mine on the first flight at 65mm

let me know how those 300's work, I may buy some from HK
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:17 AM
Registered User
AWDEVO8's Avatar
Joined Apr 2004
106 Posts
I went to the hobby store today because my 3 year old wanted some playmobil boat... left with the boat and an F86! Can't wait to fly it!
AWDEVO8 is offline Find More Posts by AWDEVO8
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:30 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,254 Posts
Mode1 Txer set up.

I just completed 'binding' the model to my DX7.

Now, here's something interesting:

In Australia, most of us fly Mode1, including me, but the Anylink is set for Mode2.
Instead of trying to re-channel it, I removed all the plugs from the Rxer and plugged them back in Spektrum style:
Ch 1 - throttle
Ch2 - aileron
Ch3 - elevator
Ch4 - rudder.
Job done.

The plugs came out and went back in without fuss. The ESC lead was juuuuust long enough to make it over to Ch1 from Ch3...

Lipo's are charged, pre-flights are good. Now I'm just waiting for a chance to fly.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 01:31 AM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDEVO8 View Post
I went to the hobby store today because my 3 year old wanted some playmobil boat... left with the boat and an F86! Can't wait to fly it!
Sweet!
welcome to the family..
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Sabre Jet F86 30mm EDF by Great Planes..TX-Ready (TX-R)..or RTF Version 15'' WS modfly Micro Ready-to-Fly 151 Dec 20, 2012 09:20 PM
Sold Eflite F-86 Sabre BNF EDF Jet NEVER FLOWN ready to fly!!!! thutt3430 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Apr 17, 2011 11:34 PM