SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2014, 01:47 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
914 Posts
Ah ya mean the one you can see the rudder and some of the slightly rusty trailer. It's my much loved project awaiting more dollars to get it sailing again. It's an Ericson 25+ that I have owned for probably 16 years. To attached to the darn thing to let it go. Sails so nice and has tons of room below for its size.
More boat work ahead tomorrow, now that I have cleared the books of regular work today for this week. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2014, 02:02 AM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
706 Posts
E25+ is one of the later model frac rig one's right? I've sailed quite a bit on an old school Ericson 27 that my friends own. We actually won the Newport Ensenada overall in the mid90's on that boat. Sort've a wolf in sheeps clothing off the wind!

That old "cabin top" S/B is sure looking nice!

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Nov 25, 2014, 02:43 AM
Joined Nov 2010
914 Posts
443 Is getting there. The boat is receiving a through retrofit and should be a lot faster and more reliable when it is done. New Vector sails should be very fast.
Yes my E25+ is a fractional rig. I have a setup on the rig that allows me to fly boat frac and masthead kites. Wish I had a bigger masthead kite for the boat. It is fast downwind for an old warhorse that has pinchy stern. Very different sailing boat then the 27 is. Ryan
Old Dec 03, 2014, 01:42 AM
Joined Nov 2010
914 Posts
So all you sailors are invited to the first winter sail day at Spreckles Lake on December 14th. Boats will start hitting the water around 1PM. Come on out and lets have fun. Ryan
Old Dec 03, 2014, 01:17 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,191 Posts
Ryan: is that SB only or will there be other classes also? If so which ones?
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Dec 04, 2014, 01:07 PM
Joined Nov 2010
914 Posts
Bring any RC sailboat you have and come sail at Spreckles Lake on the 14th. Includes your all your boats Steve. If you make it, remind me to bring your mast. Ryan
Old Dec 04, 2014, 03:52 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poltergeist View Post
.. I've sailed quite a bit on an old school Ericson 27 that my friends own. We actually won the Newport Ensenada overall in the mid90's on that boat. Sort've a wolf in sheeps clothing off the wind!

Kevin
Poltergeist, did that Ericson 27 have an inboard? My father had a '74 Ericson 27, and we had a heck of a time with a very touchy rudder. Under sail the steering was OK, but under power you had to have an iron grip on the tiller with anything over idle speed. If you let the tiller get off the centerline it would really pull 'till it was sideways. Almost tossed my fathers friend (small frame old guy) over the side one day. Since we day sailed most of the time we just lived with it.
Sorry for the hijack.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Dec 04, 2014, 07:27 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
706 Posts
Dave,

Yes "Pumpkins" is an inboard and has the same extreme "torque-steer" under power. I think it's a combination of the rudder balance and the fact that the prop is really close to the rudder blade. In fact when we first started racing the boat seriously, the owner tried to put a folding prop on the boat and found out it would hit the rudder when folded. He ended up going with a feathering prop instead. It was always a bear to deliver the boat back from long races. I think she's burned through several autopilots through the years!!!

Funny, "Pumpkins" is the same color scheme as the boat in your photo. White hull with yellow stripes and an all white deck . I believe she's a '76 model. Here's a finish photo from one of our "winning" Newport/Ensenada races. OK...end of hijack!!!

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Dec 19, 2014, 11:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
914 Posts
Santa Barbaras will be sailing on Spreckles lake this Monday the 22nd. Meet at the clubhouse at 1230PM. There should be several boats in attendance. Ryan