HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2014, 05:32 PM
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Discussion
Beginner heli for 10 yr old

Hello,

I know very little or none about current models and offerings and which brands are good or crap and I'm hoping for a quick suggestion or two on the best helicopter for about $25-50 shipped. She's interested in one with a camera maybe. Obviously my 10 year old is a beginner so keep that in mind. This is not something I want to spend hours or days researching. Just hoping for a quick recommendation or two. Google results seem to be pretty outdated so that's why I've come here. Thanks so much!!!

John and Hiley
johnI503 is offline Find More Posts by johnI503
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2014, 05:56 PM
Still crashing my CP's
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,513 Posts
The V911 is a great cheap beginner helicopter.

The motors normally last well past 70 flights (pretty good for a cheap helicopter).

Small enough to not hurt you or your furniture, and very fun to fly.

If you want something with a camera, you will have to spend a little more.

The helicopter has to be large enough to handle the extra weight.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:27 PM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
32 Posts
If she (or you) are not (yet) into helicopters, a good place to start would be one of the Syma's with gyro. S107G is a good one. I like the s111G (Coast Guard colors) and the S112G (Army UH60 ) They are only about $12-18, and aren't too difficult to fly.

If she's still interested after that, get a hobby grade. Syma's are nice for what they are, which is a toy grade indoor helicopter. But a true hobby grade is better; it will also be more expensive. The Blade mCX2 is close in capability and size to the S107G but it's more like $100!!!
It used to be camera's were big; and so a model that could carry them had to be big. Now there are small, light cameras. I've seen in the parkflyer area where people have velcro'd on these small keychain video camera's to their planes, cheap and ok results
Joe Perrone is offline Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:49 PM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
377 Posts
I tihnk I might be tempted to go with a quad especially if she is interested in having a camera attached. The Blade nqx nano quad copter with safe is really great for beginners. It is a bit beyond the price range you stated at 89 RTF including the controller but worth the price.

Here is a quad complete with camera if you don't mind ordering from china shipped at 52.xx

http://www.banggood.com/Hubsan-X4-H1...F-p-75824.html
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Apr 18, 2014, 04:48 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
870 Posts
+1 to the quad , it will teach more than a fp heli will the nano qx if a great tool to fly
I had the hubsan x4 and the wltoy v911 i learnt more from the quad and the step up to a cp heli was not as hard , also children pick up flying very fast and get bored once they can fly it , Balr14 grandson went from fp heli to cp in an afternoon kids play video games so pick up stick control easy
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Apr 18, 2014, 06:10 PM
Still crashing my CP's
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
3,513 Posts
If your child wants to eventually fly larger hobby grade models, a quad is a much better
starting point.

Everything stated above is 100% correct and yes, Blade makes great products.

A quad is actually easier to start with, because it's already "dialed in" electronically.

Helicopters almost always require minor linkage adjustments to get a steady
hands-free hover.

Although, not all people like the look of quads since they look nothing like
a traditional helicopter, which is why I mentioned the V911.

You could certainly do worse.

It took a while before everyone convinced me to buy a quad, but I found
out they are as tame or as wild as you want them to be, and they handle
wind much better than any toy helicopter.
Steve_ is offline Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Steve_; Apr 18, 2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2013
85 Posts
You bet the quad nano qx is a blast. Your 10 year old would pick it up quick. Its a great trainer and I think he would love it. You can fly it for along time. Durable, parts are cheap. Cant go wrong.
sprint11 is offline Find More Posts by sprint11
Old Apr 19, 2014, 08:31 AM
Joined Mar 2013
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnI503 View Post
Hello,

I know very little or none about current models and offerings and which brands are good or crap and I'm hoping for a quick suggestion or two on the best helicopter for about $25-50 shipped. She's interested in one with a camera maybe.

John and Hiley
I'd say it depends on her temperament.

The Syma 107 (about $20 from Amazon) will fly great right out the box. And in my opinion, it's the most fun anyone can buy for $20.

The V911 (not much more, shipped from China) will ultimately be more fun, but it has a learning curve. When I first got mine, I thought it was broken it was so hard for me to fly. But now it's easy.

As for the camera, Syma has a 107C, just like the 107, but with a camera. It will work right out of the box like the 107 and let her take pictures. But I think she'll be pretty disappointed with the photo and video quality.

Also, the Syma models only work indoors. The V911 will fly outside if there's no wind.

So bottom line: If she wants something she can open up and fly right away, get a Syma. If she wants to invest a few hours learning, get the V911, or, better, get two V911s, so when she crashes the first one the fun won't end.

**Here's an important catch.** The controls on the Syma are *different* than the controls on almost every more advanced helicopter (including the V911). So "learning" how to fly the Syma is a step backward from learning how to fly anything else. (On the Syma, the right hand turns the helicopter, while on almost every control in the U.S. the left hand controls the turning.)
JustStartingRC is online now Find More Posts by JustStartingRC
Old Apr 20, 2014, 02:43 PM
135° latent flybar
Joined Jan 2014
434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStartingRC View Post
Also, the Syma models only work indoors. The V911 will fly outside if there's no wind.
Expanding on this point: The Syma is controlled using infrared signals, which is why it should not be used outside. The v911 uses 2.4 GHz radio signals, so it can fly indoors or outdoors. However, it really is hard to handle a v911 in any breeze. There has to be almost zero wind outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustStartingRC View Post
**Here's an important catch.** The controls on the Syma are *different* than the controls on almost every more advanced helicopter (including the V911). So "learning" how to fly the Syma is a step backward from learning how to fly anything else. (On the Syma, the right hand turns the helicopter, while on almost every control in the U.S. the left hand controls the turning.)
+1. Although I started with the dual rotor coaxial Syma, I had to get used to entirely different controls when I switched to the single rotor v911. It took me several days to figure out the v911 and actually fly it around.

-Florida Heli-
Florida Heli is offline Find More Posts by Florida Heli
RCG Plus Member